What to do with leftover Eye Round? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What to do with leftover Eye Round?

Last post Feb 12, 2009 3:36 AM by _FOOTSIE . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • What to do with leftover Eye Round?

I have a Rare leftover eyeround in the freezer and I'm not sure what I want to do with it.

I know if I put it back in the oven to reheat, it'll cook thru (same as if I were to slice it for hot roast beef sandwiches *sudder*) so I was thinking maybe making hash out of it? My mother used to make the best roast beef hash but everytime I've tried it, it comes out horrible. So any tried and true has instructions out there? I'd be using the meat grinder on my KA mixer if that helps. TIA!

False

• Re: What to do with leftover Eye Round?

Put the eye round, in chunks, in the food processor, shredding it.  Then add a mixture of Russian dressing -- i.e., catsup, mayo, maybe a little horseradish.  Makes a delicious sandwich.  Heated-over eye round is terrible.  When I make sandwiches or have leftovers with potatoes, I cut the meat thin and cover it with hot brown gravy.  Mary Kay

False

Footsie,  I have never had roast beef hash before. It does sound good ~  My very first thought was a beef stew or possibly a pot pie ~    another easy recipe I like to make is a mock sheppards pie ~  I usually use ground beef, but beef chunks  would certainly make it more stick to the bones ~  I brown the meat with some garlic and onions. You can add some mushrooms if you wish  and some vegtables if you wish to as well.  I place this mixture into a 3 Qt round dish.  Add some beef broth or gravy to cover th meat 1/2 way up.  Then I make some mashed potatoes (  you want them on the stiff side)   Ice the top of the dish with the mashed potatoes. and bake at 350 for about a1/2 hour ~  The broth will bubble up to the top of the dish that is why you want the potatoes on the stiff side so that they don't melt into the sauce. 

This is a very hearthy casserole ~  Made to order ~  Janie   

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Thanks Janie, that does sound good.

Mary Kay, I appreciate the suggestion but it's bloody red rare it will not lend itself to being ground up for sandwiches. I know eye round doesn't heat well, that's why I thought I'd make hash out of it. I don't particularly like hot roast beef sandwiches because I don't like gravy so again that's another reason why I thought hash would be a good use for it.

False

Footsie - I make "French Dip" sandwiches with leftover eye of round sometimes but maybe my roast is not quite as rare as yours - however it is rare.   I use the "au jus" and add some beef broth to the skillet/saute pan and just heat "briefly" the slices - very thin - and then serve it on good French or Italian Bread lightly toasted.   Save the "jus" liquid for dipping.

I haven't made "hash" in years but when I used to make it I chopped my roast (usually more done) with a good sharp knife and I think I mostly used roasts other than eye of round. 

I would start by just sauteing some chopped onion (and garlic if you wish) in a little oil and then chopped some leftover roasted or baked potatoes (you can also use fresh finely diced potatoes or even frozen hash browns) and added the potatoes to the onion mixture.   Finish by adding the chopped beef - adding any leftover "jus" if you have it - and just season  to taste.   Some of the steak seasoinings might be good but I used to just use salt and pepper.    Don't overcook the mixture if the potatoes are already cooked.

I also have used leftover lean roast beef in stir fries.   Sometimes I first put the leftover meat in the freezer for a short while and it's easier to slice thinly.    I start by slicing up some oniions and peppers (for good pepper steak - my husband loved "Pepper Steak" - or by using or adding fresh or frozen (Asian or stir fry types)vegetables.  If I'm doing a stir fry I use a little Sesame oil (dark) to saute the onions/vegetables first then adding the meat (and any "jus" you have) then season it with the soy or teriyaki - or your favorite type seasoning.  I'm sure you'll make whatever you prepare taste great!

Tasting is important when you are cooking like this!!!!  

False
    Tria

Hadn't thought about French Dips. Hmmm, good idea lol! Thanks Tria!

False