"Enhanced" Cake Mix recipes - let's post our favorites! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

"Enhanced" Cake Mix recipes - let's post our favorites!

Last post May 08, 2009 2:40 PM by rachellestratton . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • "Enhanced" Cake Mix recipes - let's post our favorites!

lynnie48 was asking for help with "cake mix fixeruppers".   I searched on the BB for "enhanced" cake mix recipes without luck so I thought I'd start a post for "Enhanced" cake mix recipes.    There are so many on this board but it would be nice to have a thread!   Let's post our favorites!

False
    Tria
  • Re: "Enhanced" Cake Mix recipes - let's post our favorites!

This remains my "favorite" cake to make and take and I regularly use a 9x13 pan as it's so much easier to "take" - and you don't have to worry about removing the cake.   You can use these directions with any flavor - and any chip you want.   Very moist and delicious - and quick to mix!   This review was by Gaudrey and it's been reviewed (nicely) by several others on the BB.   It's also on my "favorites" along with some other good recipes!

Tria

I made 3 of these for our church dinner for tomorrow night, and they were so easy to make. I mixed by hand, probably about 50 strokes per cake. And I baked them in 9x12 pans for 35 minutes instead of the bundt pans. That makes them easier to serve. I glazed them with an easy chocolate glaze made by bringing 2/3 cup evaporated milk to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips, stirring until chips are melted and mixture thickened. This makes a dense, very moist and rich chocolate cake. The 9x12 pans will yield 24 cake squares each. Great recipe. Thanks, Tria.

Posted by: TriainAtlanta Posted on: 6/30/2005 12:27:55 PM
    #R5961946
    You can use any combination that you like and just follow the basic instructions on those cake mix enhanced cakes - this is definitely not a white cake - but maybe you can improvise!  You can use Vanilla - white chocolate - or cheesecake pudding flavors - and use vanilla or white chocolate chips!

Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix - any brand
    1 4 oz. chocolate INSTANT pudding mix
    1 3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup Crisco or Wesson type oil
    2 eggs
    1 12 oz. pkg. semi sweet chocolate chips

Combine pudding, cake mix, oil, eggs, milk and chips in large bowl. MIX BY HAND (I have mixed it w/ mixer, being sure not to overmix) til well blended. (aprox. 2 min.)
    Pour into well greased and cocoa dusted large tube or bundt pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 to 55 min. (Adjust time for 13x9 pan) Be careful not to overbake.
    Cool 15 minutes in pan, remove and finish cooling. Sprinkle or dust w/ powdered sugar or ice w/ your favorite chocolate icing. I usually ice it w/ a good fudge icing. It doesn't need it, but it might as well be as rich as possible. It keeps well, even though I have never had a problem with any leftover. Once I was in a hurry and took it out of pan too soon. It fell apart. I couldn't stand the idea of wasting that cake so I threw it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Later I used it to make a fabulous ice-cream cake by layering it (in chunks) w/ chocolate chip ice cream, in a tube pan. I put it back in freezer and sealed it; then unmolded it several days later, iced it w/ cool whip - put back in freezer until frozen and I then served it. This is also great in a 12x9 pan and easier to serve. It makes a hit. Whenever I have a "catastrophe" w/ a cake that's what I do now!

False
    Tria

This cake mix "enhanced" recipe is also very good made with a white cake mix - using egg whites.

Basic sour cream yellow cake

1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
    1 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup vegetable oil, crisco, canola, etc.
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup sugar
    4 large eggs
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease or spray tube pan or 13 x 9 in. pan.
    Dust w/ flour and shake out.

Place cake mix, sour cream, oil water, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Blend w/ electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides w/ spatula. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat for additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing out with spatula.
    Bake cak until it is golden brown and springs back when touched. Follow time instructions for correct pan size on cake mix box.

Remove pan from oven and cool on rack for 20 minutes. Leave cake in 13x 9 pan, if desired for ease in icing, serving, and carrying.

Ice as desired.

I put bundt pan recipes in 13x9 pans all the time when I am in a hurry and don't want to worry about the pan sticking when taking it somewhere. That's the only time that happens! They usually cook in 30 to 45 minutes, depending on your oven.

You can use these aprox. measurements in any flavor cake mix, mixing and adding flavorings to your taste. There are a million such recipes on this site!

False
    Tria

Lemon Cheese Cake

1 pkg yellow cake mix, pudding included (approx. 18 1.2 ounces)

3/4 cup apricot nectar

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

3 eggs

Filling

2 (8oz) pkg cream cheese softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 Tbsp lemon juice

1 cup flaked coconut (optional)

Glaze

2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 Tbsp apricot nectar

In large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients; beat as directed on package.  Grease and lightly flour a 10 or 12 cup bundt pan.  Spoon batter into pan.  In small bowl combine all filling ingredients; beat until smooth.  Spoon filling over batter in pan being careful not to let it touch sides of pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until cake tastes done.  Cool in pan a half hour; turn out on wire rack or serving plate to complete cooling.  Combine all glaze ingredients and stir until smooth.  Drizzle over cake. 

False

corrections to lemon cheese cake recipe :  it is supposed to be an 18 1/2 ounce cake mix

In the directions, it should be tests done...not tastes done! 

False
    The recipe calls for storing this cake in the refrigerator for 3 days before serving. I have to admit that we can never wait 3 days before digging into it. I do always leave it for 24 hours before serving as this allows all the flavors and moistness to seep into all 4 layers.Maybe you will have more willpower than we do. lol
    Lynne's 3 Day Mile High Coconut Sour Cream Layer Cake

1 butter flavored cake mix (use a good quality- Pillsbury or Betty Crocker)
    2 cups sugar
    1 16oz carton sour cream
    1 12 oz pkg frozen coconut, thawed
    1 1/2 cups frozen cool whip, thawed

Prepare cake mix according to directions on box, making 2 8-inch layers. When cake is completely cooled, split each layer horizontally, resulting in 4 thin layers.
    Combine sugar, sour cream and coconut, blending well in mixer. Chill. Reserve 1 cup of this sour cream mixture for the frosting. Spread remaining sour cream mixture between layers of the cake, but not on the top of sides.
    Combine reserved sour cream mixture with Cool Whip, blend until smooth with a mixer. Spread on top and sides of cake. IMPORTANT: Seal cake in an airtight container(like tupperware) and refrigerate for 3 days before serving.
    False

This was posted by ewak.

here are some from the book called cake mix doctor its a grea book i use it often ill shared the ones ive tried

CHOCOLATE SHET CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
    veggie srpay for pan
    1 package 18.25 oz plain devils food cake mix
    2 tbs. unsweetend cocoa powder
    1 1/3 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup veggie oil
    3 large eggs
    1tsp vanilla
    1. place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 spray cake pan 13x9 set aside
    2. place cake mix cocoa powder buttermilk oil eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl blend with electric mixer scrapping sides often batter will be thick place in pan smoothing out with spatula place in oven
    3. bake cake until it springs bake when touched about 40-45 cool for 30 minutes
    4. mean while prepare the peanut butter frosting
    5 frost the top of the cake spreading the frosting out to the edges slice and serve

PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
    1 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 stick butter room temp
    2 cups powder sugar sifted
    3-4 tablespoons milk
    2 tsp. vanilla
    place the peanut butter and butter in a large mixing bowl blend with mixer on low until fluffy stop the machine add powder sugar and 3 tbs. milk add vanilla blend on low speed until sugar is well combined 1 minute increase the speed to medium and beat until frosting lightens and is fluffy 1 more minute more blend in up to 1 tbs. milk if he frosting seems to stiff
    use at once o frost a cak of your choice

this is an addictive cake youll want to make it alot

False

bump!

False
    Tria

This is from the BB:

Any Flavor Cake

1 cake mix, any flavor (18-1/2 oz.)

1 can pie filling, any flavor (21 oz.)

2 eggs

Mix all together and bake according to cake mix directions in a 9x13 greased pan.  You might need to bake it a bit longer than a plain cake mix.

My favorite is a butter pecan cake mix with caramel apple pie filling (which is a limited edition flavor from Wilderness).  The possibilities are endless.  I don't bother with frosting of any kind, but you could use it.  Another good one is a yellow cake mix with peach pie filling, and chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

Thanks for bringing this back up to the top. Will watch this.

False

Wow!!  These sound great!!  Looks like I'll be doing some copying tonight!! 

Thanks for the recipes!  Here's one of mine!

Incredible Chocolate Cake

1 pkg. (18 1/4 oz.) chocolate cake mix

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 jar (12 1/4 oz) caramel ice cream topping

1 carton (12 oz) Cool Whip, thawed

2 tbsp. baking cocoa

2 Heath candy bars (1 1/4 oz. each)  crushed

Prepare and bake cake mix according to pkg. directions, using  a greased 13 x 9 in. baking pan.  Place on  wire rack 10 min.  Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, poke 20 holes in warm cake.  Pour milk over cake, cool for 10 min.  Pour caramel topping over cake;  cool completely. 

In a bowl, combine Cool Whip and cocoa;  spread over cake.  Sprinkle with crushed candy bars.  Cover and store in the refridgerator.    12-15 servings

I made this at Christmas although I didn't have chocolate cake, I used yellow instead.  It seemed alot sweeter.  I like it better with chocolate.

Janet

False

I make the cake all the time.  It is so moist and yummy.

Death By Chocolate Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix

1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix

1 cup sour cream

1 cup milk1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup water

4 eggs

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

6 tablespoons butter

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.

2 In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, milk, oil,

water and eggs. Beat for 4 minutes, then mix in 2 cups chocolate chips.

3 Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated

oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted

into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool 10

minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

4 To make the glaze: Melt the butter and 1 cup chocolate

chips in a double boiler or microwave oven. Stir until

smooth and drizzle over cake.

False

Moist Lemon Cake  (easy and good)

1 box lemon cake mix
    1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant lemon pudding mix
    3 eggs

3/4 c. oil
    3/4 c. water
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    2 c. powdered sugar
    1/3 c. lemon juice
    3 tbsp. water
    2 tbsp. melted butter

Beat eggs, oil and water. Add the cake mix and pudding mix. Beat with mixer. Add lemon rind. Bake in greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 mintues. While still warm, punch holes in top with large fork.

TOPPING: Blend together powdered sugar, lemon juice, water and melted butter until smooth. Spoon over cake. This cake needs no refrigeration and keep for a week without drying out.

False

This is yummy served warm with whipped cream.

Turtle Cake

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 box (1 pound 2 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
    • 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 can (5.33 ounces) evaporated milk
    • 1 cup chopped pecans
    • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

TO PREPARE:

1.  Mix cake according to directions on box.  Pour half of batter into prepared 13 x 9-inch pan.  Bake 15 minutes.
    2.  Melt caramels with butter and milk.  Pour over cake.
    3.  Sprinkle pecans and chocolate chips over caramel layer.
    4.  Cover with rest of batter and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer.

Temperature: 350 degrees

False

Great thread. Now that I have copied all of these wonderful recipes I will share one I made just last night that turned out terrific. I had frozen cranberries leftover from holiday sales so I substituted them for blueberries that the original recipe calls for. I was surprised how lovely light the cake was because the batter was so thick. I thought it might be kind of heavy but was not at all. The tart cranberries go so well with the sweet cake. I hope some of you will try this too.

BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE CAKE

1 (18.25 ounce) yellow cake mix
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
    1 tablespoon flour
    Powdered sugar, for decoration

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combiine cake mix, eggs, milk, oil, sugar and almond extract. Beat on low speed to blend. Add cream cheese and beat on medium for 2 minutes. In small bowl, toss blueberries with flour to coat. Gently stir into batter.

Pour batter into greased and floured 12-cup capacity Bundt cake pan, and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.(Mine was done in 50 mins.) Cool in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

If you are going to serve this warm it is great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

False