ISO: Cornbread casserole recipe using Jiffy mix and canned corn | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Cornbread casserole recipe using Jiffy mix and canned corn

Last post Mar 02, 2009 11:27 AM by Sparty . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • ISO: Cornbread casserole recipe using Jiffy mix and canned corn

I want to make some creamy cornbread like I had at a friend's house. I know she said it started with Jiffy mix and added canned creamed corn and canned kernel corn. I have found some recipes using the search, but they just don't indicate the size of the cans of corn. In my pantry I have 2 sizes of corn - the soup can size and the little short can. I am assuming that they mean the soup can size, but I'm not sure. In addition, the recipes call for 8 oz of sour cream. I only have 4 oz. because I used the rest in a different recipe. What could I use to make up the difference?

Here is one of the recipes that I found posted by Greenchili.

I like to add in a can of drained diced green chiles when I make this and top with cheddar cheese the last few minutes of baking. If you like it spicy add in some diced jalapenos too.

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
    1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
    1 can creamed corn
    1 stick butter, melted
    8 oz sourcream
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Grease an 8x8 pan.
    Mix the corn with the melted butter. Add in eggs, sour cream, and cornbread mix. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes.
    False
  • Re: ISO: Cornbread casserole recipe using Jiffy mix and canned corn

I'd vote for the larger can of corn...soup can size, I believe you called it!!

For the sub of sour cream...do you have any cream cheese???  That can be softened, add a little milk to get it to "cream" consistency.  I have used it for buffalo wing dip, mixed with mayo...you'd never know it wasn't sour cream!!!   I have heard of sub'g cottage cheese, blended to a "cream" consistency.  But have never tried that one myself!!

Hope this helps!!  Geeked  

False

I have some cottage cheese but no cream cheese. I also have some powdered buttermilk. I guess I'll try the cottage cheese and use the larger size cans of corn (soup can size).

Thanks for your help, Sparty.

False

U R welcome...hope it  works!!  I've had the Jiffy cornbread with the creamed corn at my sister's...it is very moist & tasty!!

Geeked

False