Here's a way to thicken juices or gravy in crock pot | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Here's a way to thicken juices or gravy in crock pot

Last post Sep 14, 2013 3:15 PM by Beema . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Here's a way to thicken juices or gravy in crock pot
    • Hmm [^o)]

I've found my gravy is usually too thin and I have to thicken it at the last minute and at times it still doesn't come out right. I know I can't be alone in this. I found this in the Rival booklet that came with my crock pot and thought it may be helpful to others.

Question: "How about thickening the juices or making gravy?"

Answer: Add some quick-cooking tapioca to any recipe when you want to make a thick gravy. Add the tapioca at the beginning and it will thicken as it cooks! Or you may remove the solid foods, leaving the juices. Prepare a smooth paste of approximately 1/2 cup flour or cornstarch to 1/2 cup water or 4 tablespoons melted butter. Pour mixture into liquid in stoneware and stir well. Turn to HIGH and when it comes to a boil (about 15 minutes) it's ready.

Kathy

False
  • Re: Here's a way to thicken juices or gravy in crock pot

Thanks Kathy,   this has always been a big problem with slow cooked meals.    thanks again   Shirley

False

Thank you Kathy for sharing.

Rosie

False

Know how much quick-cooking tapioco to add?  I've tried this & haven't noticed the juice was any thicker.  I usually end up taking some of the crockpot juice & pouring it in a saucepan & thickening that.  I've just sprinkled a couple of tablespoons of the tapioco when making something like beef stew...maybe I need to add more?

False

Cornstarch mixed in a little cold water, then added to the crockpot about a half hour before serving, always works for me. Put the temp on high.

False

I use 1/4 to 1/3 cup tapioca depending on the volume of the stew. I have been using this method for years, but occasionally I have thickened the gravy with cornstarch at the end. It's just an extra bother so I prefer the tapioca method.

Amy

False

I wish I wouldve read this before taking all the solid foods from the pot, then adding flour to make the gravy lol I am sure you can guess how that turned out ... we didnt have gravy with dinner hehe Oh well, next time :)

False
    Isn't a half cup of cornstarch an awful lot?
    False

Make a slurry with 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 1/4 cup water, stir while it thickens... if more is needed, repeat.  But, I find that if I know in advance that I will have to thicken the juices in the crock pot, I add about 1/4 cup instant potatoes about an hour before the food is done.  For soups, I add instant barley.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Great tip. Thanks for sharing it. And thanks for the Bump, Its  great to see some oldies surface, especially when they contain something  very helpful.

I prefer cornstartch  as well and I like to use some of the liquid that I am going to thicken as the liquid part of the slurry.

Tip courtesy of Sara Moulton ( Cooking Live)  I find that the hot liquid dissolves the cornstartch very  quickly.

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

this is my preferred method as well NancyMD. I have never used tapioca, but the cornstarch method has never failed me.

False

The cornstarch will stir in smoothly much easier than flour.

False

Live your life so you don't have to hide your diary.

Cornstarch is by far the most forgiving of thickeners.. hot or cold water, doesn't matter, and it absolutely NEVER lumps.  Try it, you'll like it.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.