Ugh! Cabbage Cooking Odor | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ugh! Cabbage Cooking Odor

Last post Jan 04, 2014 2:53 AM by tawny77 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Ugh! Cabbage Cooking Odor

I'm cooking cabbage in the slow cooker and the house is filling up with the odor of cooked cabbage. Although I like cooked cabbage, I'm not fond of the aroma. I "Googled" it and someone said to put a piece of bread on top. If this doesn't work does anyone have a T&T method to get rid of the smell?

chefly

False
  • Re: Ugh! Cabbage Cooking Odor
    I won't cook cabbage in the crock pot for that very reason. I like cabbage lightly cooked and it doesn't smell so much that way. sorry, I am no help at all.
    False

SmileI don't have an answer for you. . . just a story!   Years ago, our young couples group at church decided to use the leftover roast beef from the church's semi-annual roast beef dinner, and make a large batch of beef stew to serve anyone who wanted to come on a Saturday night.   We went to the church on Saturday morning, and chopped up all the ingredients into a roaster, and set it to cook slowly all day.  One of the ingredients was chopped cabbage.   Well, there was a meeting of the "older" ladies at church that afternoon.   They noticed the "smell" and spread the word among their friends not to attend the beef stew dinner that night, because the beef we were cooking was rancid!  Stick out tongue 

We didn't have very many people show up that night, but the stew was wonderful!   Odors can be deceiving!   Smile

False

I loved your story. My sister had a similar incident but the police showed up at her door. The mailman thought he smelled a decaying body coming from her house so he called the police. She had been cooking Brussels Sprouts!!!

I thought only my sister had stories like that.

I just came back from running errands and it is terrible in here. I'm going to open the doors, I'm so glad it is almost 70ºF. outside and I'm going to heat up a pot of lemon slices and cloves. I hope that helps. DD comes home in half an hour and she will not want to come into the house. Lol!

chefly

False

You don't need to cook cabbage forever!  I add mine after the meat and other veggies are almost done and add the cabbage just long enough to make it a little tender!  You could not add it at all to the corned beef but use some of the broth after the meat, carrots and potatoes are done and cook it slightly in that broth. It's better if not cooked to death!!!  I don't have the problem you're having.  Smile  I can't wait for my corned beef tonight and my cabbage won't be boiled to death!  Yum!!

pegg

False

pegg

Just the other day I read that if you add 1T vinegar to the pot it will get rid of the odor while cooking.  Haven't tried it so I don't know if it works.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I put 2 - 3 tablespoons of vinegar in a small cup or jar and sit it on the kitchen counter. Shortly after the cabbage is done cooking the smell should be gone.

False

DD asked a friend to come home from school this afternoon before she knew about the odor...of all days. sigh!

I added a tbsp. of vinegar to the pot. I have all the doors and windows open and I have a potpourri pot of lemon, cinnamon and allspice warming. It still smells bad!

The cabbage isn't cooked enough to remove from the pot either.

DD just said under her breath, it's so strong, it smells terrible.

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny!!!!

chefly

False

Jenni's way works - put a cup of vinegar next to the stove.  I do that all the time.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

I am going to try the vinegar for sure!  I love cabbage but can not stand the smell.  Usually we cook it in the oven... quarter the cabbage, rub with butter or margarine, sprinkle seasoning on it and wrap in foil,  Cook like a baked potato in the oven.  Delicious and no smell!

False

Light a few candles.   Hey, it works in a stinky bathroom.                    Cali

False

I'm with Pegg! In the crockpot, I only cook the cabbage for 1/2 hour on high at the end of the cooking time. I lift up the corned beef and put the cabbage underneath.That way it is tender crisp. We had the smell of corned beef, but no cabbage smell!

:)

Ellen

False

Bakermaker, I'll try wrapping it in foil and baking it next time. I've never heard of doing that before.

DD's friend was too busy to come over after school, thank goodness! I kept the windows open and the potpourri  burner going for quite a while. Since dinner, the smell is gone!

Cali,

I never thought of burning a candle either. I'll have to remember that if I ever cook cabbage in a slow cooker again. I'm not sure I ever will though. Lol!

I can also try the vinegar on the counter.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. 

What didn't work was adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the slow cooker and putting a piece of bread in the slow cooker. Actually, the potpourri with lemon, allspice and a cinnamon stick just made the house smell like stinky cabbage with lemon, allspice and cinnamon all fighting to see who would have the strongest smell!!! Lol!

chefly

False

If I have a strong odour in the house, I will take a pot of water, add vanilla and simmer it on the stove.  You can also add some cinnamon sticks, some cloves, or orange peels.  your own popouri.  I've recomended this to others, and they really like how nice it smells.  of course, I cannot stand the smell of vinegar, it makes me gag.

False

I have the best and easiest way to cook cabbage and not smell up the house. Put the crockpot  on the back porch or in the garage while cooking. NO SMELLY HOUSE!!!

False