a question about chicken livers | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

a question about chicken livers

Last post Apr 09, 2009 4:43 PM by wargofive . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • a question about chicken livers

Hi everyone

I have a question about chicken livers. I purchased 2 tubs of livers and one tub had green sacks attached to the livers. I of course cut this off and now I am wondering if these livers are still good. I am making chopped liver for an appetizer for Easter. Below is my recipe if anyone wants it.

I would love to know if the livers are still good

Linda

easterbunnies.jpg picture by wargofive

Chop Liver

2 containers of 1 l. each chicken livers
    4 tblsp mayo
    Salt & Pepper
    1 large onion chopped
    oil for frying pan
    2 hard boiled eggs
    4 tsp. sugar

Saute onion in oil till soft in a frying pan. Add livers to pan. Cook till done with cover on. Drain the grease. Cool. In a F=food processor, add half the liver mixture with one egg and 2 tsp. sugar, 2 tblsp. mayo and salt and pepper. Whirl still smooth. Do not liquefy. Put in bowl. Finish the other half in the same way.
    Stir all together. Serve with crackers .................................

False
  • Re: a question about chicken livers

I found your question interesting.  A web search found the following:

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Shaun Hill (chef at the Walnut Tree Inn) says, "The best chicken livers are pale in colour and unfrozen. Occasionally the gall bladder - the green sac attached to the liver - will be left in. If so, it will have to be carefully cut away along with any pieces of liver that have green patches from it."

http://www.foodloversbritain.com/FoodMatters/Recipes/Recipes-for-Main-Courses-with-Cornish-Sea-Salt/Chicken-Breasts--Parsley-Stuffing/

Found this answer from Jacques Peppin:

http://www.jacquespepin.net/members/recipes/chickenliverpate.html

Be sure that the livers are free of sinews and of any part that is green, which indicates that some of the bitter bile has been in contact with the liver. Pale yellow livers tend to have a mellow, rich taste and are preferable to deep red ones.

False

Good information Don_OH-thanks. Linda the recipe sounds really good-Happy Easter to you and your family.

Linda

False
    Photobucket

Thank you for the information

Linda  ???? Thanksgiving?? I am trying to get through Easter  Then I have a engagement party to work on. Life is crazy here!!!

Linda

False