cake recipe with canned frosting | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cake recipe with canned frosting

Last post Apr 21, 2009 8:53 PM by dutchmom4MI . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • cake recipe with canned frosting

Hi

I'm looking for a cake recipe I've heard of that contains canned (a tub) of frosting as an ingredient. I can't remember if you frost the cake too or not. Anyone ever hear of it? I'd love to try the recipe!!

Briteeyes

False
  • Re: cake recipe with canned frosting

RE: My first Crawling Cake
    Posted by: cajunlady2 Posted on: 2/7/2004 8:32:44 PM
    #R3009004

look for icing in the cake That is where I found the recipe.

Icing in the Cake

1 box cake mix your choice
    4 eggs
    1 c. milk
    3/4 c. oil
    1 can frosting, saving some for drizzle if you like. I saved about a fifth of a can.

Mix together cake mix, eggs, milk, and oil. Mix by HAND until well blended. Add frosting and mix until well blended.
    Put in to a well greased (I use Bakers Joy) 12 cup bundt/angel food pan and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until done. Cool for about 10 minute then turn out on to plate.
    Some combinations that have been tried are: Strawberry cake/coconut frosting, spicecake/caramel frosting, carrot cake/cream cheese frosting, chocolate cake/coconut pecan frosting. The list goes on and on, but try whatever you think will be good.
    It's been renamed crawling cake because if mixed with mixer it will crawl out of the pan while baking, and flow all over the oven

False

After doing some research on the balance of ingredients in a cake, I changed the recipe. I have never had a failure with this version. Our favorite is Strawberry with White Chocolate Almond Frosting served with strawberries and Cool Whip. My other favorite is German Chocolate with Coconut Pecan Frosting.

KY Kate's Version of Icing in the Cake (Didn’t crawl)

1 box cake mix
    1 container frosting
    4 eggs
    1/3 cups oil
    1 cup water
    ½ cup flour

Put everything into mixing bowl and blend on low 1 minute. Then beat on medium 2 minutes. (I used a KA mixer)

Pour into 14 cup angel food cake pan that has been heavily greased and floured. Only fill pan 2/3 full. Any remaining batter can be put into a smaller pan. If the cake isn’t done but has browned enough, put a piece of foil over the top.

Bake 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Do not test the cake with a cake tester or toothpick if it still looks a little moist just below the surface on the top, because it will collapse. You will see really tiny bubbles here and there if it isn’t done. Hard to explain.

Remove and cool about 5 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack.

False

Here is John's version.  Check out his thread, complete with picture.

~~Vicki

==================================

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/12035.aspx?PageIndex=1

To get a little more viewers I started this post instead of putting them on the original one.

This was made using a DH Banana Supreme Cake mix and DH Dark Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup oil
    4 eggs

All hand stirred and baked at 350º for 55 minutes. I only used 2/3 of the can of frosting in the mix and nuked the rest and drizzled it over the top. Then I BAMMED! it with powdered sugar.

John

False

This cake was the "hit" of the BB a few years ago and many people tried it and reviewed their combos.   I never had one "crawl" and I have mixed it with a mixer.   I also rarely use the whole tub but save enough icing out to warm slightly (in the microwave) and pour over the baked cake as a glaze.  It is a good cake but I like many of our other "enhanced" cake mix cakes better.    A lot of sugar in that icing!!!!

False
    Tria

Yes

False

Thank you so much for your help, Vickie!! Cool Now I need to try it - John's did look gooey & good!!

Leave it to another MI person to have the answer I was after!!

--briteeyes

False

probably not for my diabetic mom, eh?

False

You're welcome.  Big Smile

~~Vicki

False