Do you precook your pototoes before frying? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you precook your pototoes before frying?

Last post Apr 22, 2009 6:39 AM by robynrae . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Do you precook your pototoes before frying?

Does anyone precook their potatoes before frying?  How does it work out for you?

I saw on America's Test Kitchen an episode where they microwaved the pototoes first before frying. The also fried the onions seperate, adding at the end.

Today I microwaved my diced pototoes so they will be ready to try this after work tonight.

False
  • Re: Do you precook your pototoes before frying?

The only time I've par boiled my potatoes before frying is when I use the little tiny new red potatoes. 

Oh, they are soooo good.

Let me know how it turns out.

False

My DH cuts potatoes just like Orida's for home fries. We never par boil them. I get the vegetable oil hot and drop in the potatoes, flipping to brown all sides. Turn the heat down a little and put a lid on the skillet for a few minutes. That helps them get tender.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

We fry ours raw, very thinly sliced (usually reds), in butter. Crispy and yummy.

False

It all depends on what I'm in the mood to do Helen. If I'm in a hurry, yes, I microwave potato cubes before frying, but I like them better fried raw. My favorite is baked potatoes cut up with the skins still on and fried, but we don't bake potatoes very often anymore because so many of them have hidden bad spots inside.

My all time favorite breakfast is bacon, potatoes fried in bacon grease and eggs over easy on top of the potatoes. YUM!

John

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

Sometimes when I bake potatoes I bake a few extra.  The next day I slice or cube them and add onions and fry them.  They get done a lot faster that way, since they only need to crisp. 

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I typically fry mine from raw.  I have use left over boiled before & I've also used potatoes I've canned.  Mr. Sue likes the canned ones a lot - but I prefer the fresh ones.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

No, I don't precook potatoes. I don't fry potatoes anymore. I slice them, then put some olive oil on them and roast them with onions in the oven at 400 for about 30-45 minutes depending on how many potatoes I use. They are really good that way.

Salbo

False

Our all time favorite fried potatoes come from precooked. We make ribs with saurekraut and potatoes in the pressure cooker. Put in about twice the amount of potatoes we need for the first meal. Then the next day or morning we slice and fry the left over potatoes that have been cooked in the saurekraut juice. These have a wonderful flavor when fried.

False

Like some others have said, I do not cook my potatoes before frying.  I slice them real thin along with onions and some salt and pepper and cook them in pan a medium hot pan coated with oil, stirring ever so often. Once I great them somewhat brown I sprinkled some paprika on them, and put the lid on the pan to cook. I cook maybe five minutes, lift the lid, stir and add more paprika, and cook again without the lid to crisp them up.  Paprika gives them a real nice color I think. Enjoy Gail Smile

False

Opps! It should read ........once I get them get them somewhat brown.......................Sorry

False

My post should say once I get them somewhat brown.......Sorry

False

Great ideas on here from you all. Thanks for them all. Johns favorite breakfast sure made me hungry. DH and I might have that for Sunday breakfast.

My fried potatoes turned out ok. I think we like them fried raw the best. But this is a good way to jump start a meal. I think I diced mine up a little too big. If I do this again I will make smaller cubes.

bug

False

When I make homefries, I always cube the potatoes and boil for 6 minutes. Then I add them to my griddle or to a frying pan to which a little olive oil and butter have been added. This way I can brown them over high heat and not worry that the inside won't be cooked through by the time the outside is crispy brown.

False

I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices. I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do. --Oscar Wilde