Can you freeze apple pies before baking! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze apple pies before baking!

Last post Oct 11, 2014 12:39 PM by gipam1 . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Can you freeze apple pies before baking!

I have excess apples and need to do something with them before they go bad.  Can you make a pie just like you were going to  bake it, but freeze it instead?  Would it be better to freeze apples and put in a crust right before baking?

Thanks for help!

Tami

False
  • Re: Can you freeze apple pies before baking!

Most certainly you can freeze an unbaked apple pie.  Several churches in my area, do that for fund raising.  They sell hundreds of yummy apple pies.  And I who cannot do a crust for the life of me buy them.  They come to me frozen and I put them into the freezer until I am ready for a treat.

BTW it is a very good fundraiser.

Aleida

False

My grandmother always had frozen unbaked apple pies in the freezer. She would thaw them first and bake as usual.

Brenda/Ind.

False

You can buy them from the apple orchards that way too.

Deb

False

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I have made up the apple pie mixture and freeze it in the aluminum pie tins.  This way it is ready to go when you make up your pie crust.  I don't thaw before baking.  They turn out fine. 

False

I have made apple pies and freeze them before baking.  I think they are better this way instead of baking and then freezing them.

Rosemary

False

When fresh apples and peaches are ripe from the orchards. I make pies and dumplings. I make my pies with a shell topping or unshelled topping. I freeze them baked or unbaked. I flip a strayfoam plate on top of the shell topping. Write the date, what kind of pie it is, and cover the pie in plastic storage bags, or containers. Then I freeze them. When I am ready to use them. I take the pie out of the freezer. Take the plastic covering off, strafoam plate, and place the frozen pie on a cookie sheet. Then I cover it lightly with aluminum foil. Then I bake it at 350 until you can smell its fragrance in the house. Usually an hour. I take off the aluminum foil when its almost done to brown the top.

False

Thanks for all the help girls. Can you please post your apple dumpling recipe. Those sound so good. Used to be a restaurant in Oklahoma City years ago that made them.  Haven't thought about that in a very long time.  Looks like I'll be making pies tomorrow afternoon.  Today have been wrapping meat for the freezer.  A local grocery store had a huge one day meat sale and I stocked up. 

Tami

False

I make peach or apple dumplings this way. I cut, peel, and core up my apples or peaches and place them in a bowl. I then lightly coat them with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar. Depends on how sweet the apple or peach is on how much sugar. I can't tell you how much. I am dump cook baker. If you want a precise recipe  you will have to search for one. I then make my dough, just like I would for pies. But I roll out my dough like I would for pies. But put a scoop of fruit in the middle of the  4 areas on the dough to make four areas to cut and wrap. Having 4 areas to make dumplings.Depending on how much dough you may have less to  put fillng,plus to cut and wrap. I then put a tad of butter on the fruit. Then wrap the dough securely around the fruit. Like fold one area over one half of the dough and filling and so forth and so forth. Until its all wrapped. Leaving no gaps or holes or you will have seapage and loose filling. Then the smooth area of the dough I place on showing face up in a lightly greased baking dish. I then tuck dumplings beside each other until the pan is filled. I bake them in an oven at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. For apples until I can pierce through the dough and find the apple soft. Then eat hot or cold. You can pour milk over the dumpling in your bowl if you like. I make dumplings and bake them or not bake them and freeze them. I like to sometimes individually freeze them. Then remove them from the freezer and microwave them for a snack, dessert, or breakfast. I have also made so many dumplings and place them in extra throw away pie pans I have and freeze them wrapped. Makes great gifts.

False

D-MIL always did and they were scrumptous!

False

I LOVE my pie crust recipe. It is fool proof. But it has an egg in it. Can I still freeze an unbaked pie? I was too afraid to so I froze my pie filling in a lined pie pan. Than put the frozen filling into ziploc bags in the freezer. This way I just make my crust. Place the frozen (pre shaped) filling in, and bake.

False

would you add all ingredients to unbaked apples before freezeng for apple pies?

False

Hi,

Yes you add everything just like you are going to bake it that day.

Deb

False

Tami, I have froze apple pies unbaked and baked, and they are equally good.  Never had a problem.

GrandmaJMH

False