Need Trifle Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need Trifle Recipes

Last post Jul 30, 2014 12:02 PM by weezerly_MO . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Need Trifle Recipes

We have our church dinner 1st Sunday of each month for dessert like to make big triffle in glass bucket but running out of ideas. Like ice cream ones but always melt by time everyone finishes dessert any ideas appreciated

Thank Betty

False
  • Re: Need Trifle Recipes

Banana Trifle

INGREDIENTS 

• 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant banana pudding mix
    • 1 quart cold milk
    • 2 bananas, chopped
    • 4 cups heavy cream
    • 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 1 (12 ounce) package prepared pound cake, cubed
    • 1/2 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers (such as Nilla®), crushed

DIRECTIONS

1. Whisk pudding mix with milk until smooth. Stir in chopped bananas; set aside.
    2. In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, or cream will become lumpy and butter-like.
    3. Layer half the pound cake cubes, half the pudding, half the whipped cream, and half the crushed vanilla wafers in a trifle bowl. Repeat with the remaining cake, pudding, and whipped cream, and top with the remaining crushed wafers. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

False

Easy Chocolate Trifle

INGREDIENTS

• 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
    • 1 quart cold milk
    • 2 (3.9 ounce) packages JELL-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
    • 1 (8 ounce) tub COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
    • 4 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate-covered English toffee bars, crushed

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare cake batter and bake in 13x9-inch baking pan as directed on package. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
    2. Add milk to dry pudding mix in medium bowl. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended.
    3. Layer half each of the cake cubes, pudding, whipped topping and crushed chocolate bars in large glass trifle bowl. Repeat all layers. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

False

Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle

INGREDIENTS

• 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    • 6 cups cold milk
    • 3 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
    • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
    • 1 (12 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
    • 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
    • 2 (16 ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
    2. Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly in an 8-qt. punch bowl. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel topping over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half of the pudding mixture. Spoon one can of pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton of whipped topping.
    3. Top with remaining cake and repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate until serving

*This is a recipe that I made for a family reunion a few years ago!  It was delicious and a big hit.  It makes a HUGE amount so I hope you're feeding a lot of people if you choose this one!*
    False

The Basic Recipe
    1 cake mix
    2 packets of custard or pudding mix
    2 bags, 1 lb. each, frozen fruit or equivalent sliced fresh fruit
    1/3 C sugar (more or less to taste)
    1 1/2 C heavy cream, whipped (or to save time, use whipped topping)

additional fresh fruit for garnish

1/3 C sherry or other liquor (optional)

Serves 10-12

Basic Instructions:
    Prepare cake according to directions on package. Let cool completely.

Prepare custard or pudding mix according to package instructions. Let cool completely.

Mix fruit with sherry. If you don't want to use alcohol, use a little water or juice instead. You want the fruit to be sitting, but not swimming, in a bit of sweetened juice. Some people like to really soak the cake in the alcohol, then add the fruit on top. I think this can tend to make the cake too soggy, so I prefer less.

Whip the cream.

To assemble:
    Trifle is very forgiving, it takes no effort to make it looks great! If you don't have a trifle bowl, like the one in the photo, use any large glass bowl. It doesn't technically have to be glass, but it looks prettier if it is. You can also make individual servings by placing the layers in large wine goblets.

Cut the cakes into large chunks and cover the bottom of your dish with a layer of cake. Top with a layer of prepared fruit, then a layer of custard. Repeat the process until you are out of ingredients or the bowl is full. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh fruit. Chill until serving time.

To Serve:
    Simply scoop out servings with a large spoon.

Trifle Tips & Variations
    While a sponge cake is traditional, when a white cake is called for I often like using Angel Food Cake, as it holds up to the fruit without getting soggy. The variations below are just to get you going. I know you'll come up with some of your own as well.

Low or No Fat Trifle -- You can make a virtually fat-free trifle by using angel food cake, fat free pudding and low or no fat whipped topping
    Strawberry Shortcake Trifle -- Yellow or Angel Food Cake, Custard and Strawberries
    Black Forest Trifle -- Chocolate Cake, Cherry Pie Filling and Custard
    Chocolate Raspberry Trifle -- Chocolate Cake, Raspberries and Custard
    Tropical Fruit Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Mixed Pineapple, Mangos, Papayas, etc. and either Vanilla or Lemon Pudding, Sprinkle top with Toasted Coconut
    Apples & Cream Trifle -- Yellow or Spice Cake, Apple Pie Filling and Custard
    Peaches & Cream Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Sliced Peaches, Optional Alcohol: Peach Schnapps or Brandy
    Red, White & Blueberry Trifle (my favorite) -- Angel Food Cake, Mixed Strawberries, Raspberries and Blueberries, Custard
    Raspberry Lemon Trifle -- Yellow or Lemon Cake, Lemon Pie Filling and Raspberries
    Banana Cream Trifle -- White or Chocolate Cake, Sliced Bananas, Custard

False

Posted by: MissBetty Replies: 0 Posted on: 11/14/2005 6:02:03 AM
    #T600655
    1 pkg.(19.8 0z.) betty crocker fudge brownie mix
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    1 pkg.(4 serving size) chocolate fudge instant pudding and pie filling mix
    2 cups milk
    1/4 cup caramel topping
    1 container(8 oz.) frozen whipped topping,thawed
    1 cup chopped walnuts

1.Heat oven to 350 degrees.Bake brownie mix as directed on package for fudgy brownies.using water,oil and eggs,in 13x9 inch pan.cool completely,about 1 hour

2.make pudding as directed on package for pudding,using milk,refrigerate.cut brownies into 1 inch pieces.thoroughly stir caramel topping into whipped topping

3.layer half each of the brownies,pudding,walnuts and whipped topping mixture in 3 qt.glass bowl,repeat.

4.cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.store covered in refrigerator.

Whenever i have a recipe that calls for the frozen whipped topping i always make instant pudding and then i mix it with the frozen whipped topping.It tastes very good.In the picture i have of this desert they have caramel running down the inside of the dish. It really looks yummy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Rezaswife Posted on: 1/9/2007 11:38:44 AM
    #R8573952
    Lemon Trifle
    From Taste of Home

"The rich lemony filling and fresh berries in this tempting trifle make it tasty and beautiful," says Pat Stevens from Granbury, Texas.

INGREDIENTS

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

1 carton (8 ounces) lemon yogurt

1/3 cup lemon juice

2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

2 cups whipped topping

1 angel food cake (10 inches), cut into 1-inch cubes

2 cups fresh raspberries (I use frozen)

1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted

Fresh mint, optional

DIRECTIONS
    In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Fold in whipped topping. place half of the cake cubes in a trifle bowl or 2-qt. serving bowl. Top with half of the lemon mixture. Repeat layers. Top with raspberries. Garnish with coconut and mint if desired. Yield: 14 servings.

This is one of my favorite recipes - I got it years ago from Taste of Home and I love it! You can change the fruit and yogurt flavor to suit yourself and it is always good. My grandsons like it - they call it "the stripey stuff".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: cjintexas Posted on: 9/22/2007 11:03:03 AM
    #R9553657
    PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD TRIFLE

2 (14 oz.) pkgs. gingerbread mix
    1 (5.1 oz.) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
    1 (30 oz.) can pumpkin pie filling
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 (12 oz.) tub Cool Whip
    1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar and cinnamon into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of the gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of Cool Whip. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding and Cool Whip. Sprinkle the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

False

This is also good made with peaches and for the 4th of July it is outstanding made with strawberries and blueberries. Very patriotic looking.

Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle

2 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1/2 pint whipping cream
    1 TBS sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 angel food cake, torn into bite sized pieces
    2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
    3 TBS sugar
    In large bowl, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar; add sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside. In small deep bowl, whip the cream, vanilla, and sugar. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Add cake pieces and fold lightly, set aside. Combine strawberries and sugar. Layer in large glass bowl (this is a very pretty dessert) starting with strawberries, then cake pieces. Continue layering until finished, 3 or 4 layers is good (depends on you bowl). Finish with strawberries on top and garnish with additional whipped cream if you want. Cover and chill well. Makes 24 servings
    I have used low fat cream cheese and sour cream with good results. I have also made this with fresh peaches instead of the strawberries. I use Cool Whip instead of the whipping cream too.

False

False

I posted this recipe about 4 years ago and there's always lots of oooo's & aaaah's everytime it's served!   Paulette

Caramel-Cream Trifle

1 prepared angel food cake (12 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/2 cup bottled caramel ice-cream topping
    6 small chocolate peanut-and-caramel candy bars (from 6.96-ounce bag) or 2 bars (2.07 ounces each), chilled, chopped
    1 tub (22 ounces) fully prepared chocolate pudding

1. In 14-cup trifle bowl or clear glass dessert bowl, spread one-third of cake cubes over bottom.
    2. In large bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in caramel topping. Spoon half of caramel cream over cake cubes in bowl. Sprinkle half of chopped candy bars over cream. Scatter another third of cake cubes over cream and candy layer. Spoon pudding evenly over cake layer.
    3. Scatter remaining cake cubes over pudding. Top with remaining caramel cream and chopped candy bars.
    4. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours or overnight. 

False

Try a Carrot Cake/Cheesecake Trifle.

1 carrot cake

1 large tub Philadelphia Cheesecake filling

1 tub Cool Whip, thawed

1 C. chopped nuts (optional)

Cut cake into cubes. Layer the cake cubes, cheesecake filling and cool whip. Repeat. Sprinkle nuts on top, if desired.

Gommyof4

False
    Toni Gommy of 5

Punch Bowl Cake....

Posted by: Margielou_wa

Do you need a large dessert that is easy to make for a family gathering or party? This one makes a large punch bowl full.

PUNCH BOWL CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix with pudding. (I use Duncan Hines)
    2 large boxes vanilla pudding and Milk as directed on pkg.
    2 cans cherry pie filling
    2 8 oz. cans drained, crushed pineapple
    2 10 oz. pkg. thawed, but undrained strawberries
    6 bananas
    2 8 oz. containers cool whip
    Toasted almond slices and coconut, if desired

Bake cake according to package directions making 2 layers. Crumble one layer over bottom of large punch bowl. Make one box of the pudding according to directions on box and pour over crumbled cake. Pour one can pie filling over pudding layer, then pour one can pineapple over pie filling layer. Pour one package strawberries over pineapple layer. Slice 3 bananas over strawberry layer. Spread one container of cool whip over banana layer. Can top with almonds and coconut if desired.

Repeat entire procedure. Should just about fill punch bowl. This recipe can easily be halved. Just do one layer of everything.

False

Look at this picture of the Colossal Caramel Apple Cake from Taste of Home---- WOW!!!! 

Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle Recipe

Sassygrits

False

Hi Betty ...my brother inlaw made this for his parents birthday party.  Instead of strong coffee he drizzled caramel topping on the cake layers and on top.

Deb

Chocolate Trifle

For a fabulous finale when entertaining, Pam Botine's lovely layered trifle is a winner! "It's a do-ahead dessert that serves a group, and it even tastes great the next day," comments Pam, from Goldsboro, North Carolina.

SERVINGS: 8-10

CATEGORY: Dessert

METHOD:

TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling

Ingredients:

• 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate fudge cake mix
    • 1 package (6 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
    • 1/2 cup strong coffee
    • 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
    • 6 Heath bar (1.4 ounces each), crushed

Directions:

Bake cake according to package directions. Cool. Prepare pudding according to package directions; set aside.
        Crumble cake; reserve 1/2 cup. Place half of the remaining cake crumbs in the bottom of a 4-1/2 or 5-qt. trifle dish or decorative glass bowl.
        Layer with half of the coffee, half of the pudding, half of the whipped topping and half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat the layers of cake, coffee, pudding and whipped topping.
        Combine remaining crushed candy bars with reserved cake crumbs; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate 4-5 hours before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.

False

Thank you all for these wonderful trifles I'm set for a couple years church dinners plus at home also my husband said intend to make them all at some point thanks again

False

Here's one for July!

4th OF JULY VERY BERRY TRIFLE

Big SmileServing this traditional english dessert in a glass pedestal bowl shows off it's impressive layers of ladyfingers, pudding, and colorful fruits. If you don't have one, a regular glass bowl will also do the trick..

1-pkg. ( 3.4-oz) instant vanilla pudding

4- cups fresh berries(such as strawberries, blueberries and or raspberries), washed and hulled, plus extra for garnish

1/4- cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

2- teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1- cup whipping cream

1- teaspoon vanilla extract

24-36 ladyfingers

THE FILLINGS- Prepare the pudding accordiAngelSmileng to the pkg. directions and chill it. Slice the strawberries, if you're using them, then toss all of the berries with the lemon juice and the 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside for 30 min. to allow the berries to release their juices. In a med. mixing bowl, whip the cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form. set aside.

THE LAYERS- Set a layer of ladyfingers (around 7 or 8) on the bottom of a lrg. clear serving bowl (ours was 4 quarts). Arrange one third of the berries over the ladyfingers, drizzling on some of the juices as well. Top the berries with half of the pudding. Add another layer of ladyfingers, another third of the berries and juice, and the rest of the pudding. Add a final layer of ladyfingers and berries. Top with the whipped cream and a berry garnish. Refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Serves 8-10.. ENJOY-------YOUR FRIEND Theresa

False