Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup

Last post Jul 14, 2009 6:02 AM by Sparty . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup

I have bouillon cubes and dehydrated onion, would that work?

False
  • Re: Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup

I would use real onions if I could, but I suspect it would be fine.  What are you making?

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

6 Can Chili, I don't know why I'm making it because I don't eat soup or chili when it's this hot. Our air conditioning is out and I didn't want to light the stove so I looked through my "to try" stack of recipes and found one . . . I can make it in the crock pot. 

I have never used canned French Onion Soup, how does it differ from dry soup?

Six Can Chili
    Serves: 8

1/4 c Cornmeal
    1 t Paprika
    1/2 c Barbeque sauce
    28 oz Can whole tomatoes w/juice; cut up
    2 can Chili without beans; 15oz ea

15 1/2 oz Can Pinto or Dark or Light Red Kidney beans w/juice
    15 oz Spicy Chili beans w/juice
    1 can Condensed French onion soup

In 3-1/2 to 4 qt crockpot, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover; cook on HIGH for 2 to 4 or until thoroughly heated. Or cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours. TIP-For hotter chili flavor, 2 teaspoons chili powder can be added.

False

I would use the boullion to make the amount of beef broth needed to equal the can of soup. Then I would put 1/2 sliced onion in a skillet and saute until softened but not browned. Add the onion to the broth and continue with the recipe.

False

Canned French onion is very unique...and hard to find!!  I like the idea of boullion, definitely saute the onions to get them really, really softened.  I use it in a rice dish my Mom got from a neighbor 40+ yrs ago.  My Kroger doesn't carry it...I've found it at Walmart...also at our Meijer store.  In fact Meijer had it for $1/can a while back.  I got 6 cans!!

Geeked

False