need a potato recipe/casserole to go with steak | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

need a potato recipe/casserole to go with steak

Last post Jun 22, 2004 6:59 PM by recipefreak_OH . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • need a potato recipe/casserole to go with steak
    i'm in charge of bringing a potato dish to go with steak this Saturday...any ideas? I'm thinking a casserole would be the easiest to transport and finish cooking somewhere but any ideas are welcome. I think we will need to serve between 8-12 people (half women, half men).

thanks
    False
  • RE: need a potato recipe/casserole to go with steak
    This is our favorite-it makes a lot! The 6-8 servings would be very generous.

Twice-Baked Potato Casserole
    Taste of Home
    Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 2000

6 medium unpeeled potatoes, baked
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 lb. sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
    3 cups (24 ozs.) sour cream
    2 cups (8 ozs.) shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 cups (8 ozs.) shredded cheddar cheese
    2 green onions, chopped

Cut baked potatoes into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper and bacon. Top with half of the sour cream and cheeses. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 6-8 servings.
    False
    ELEGANT SCALLOPED POTATOES

8 large baking potatoes
    6 tablespoons butter or margarine
    6 tablespoons all putpose flout
    1 to 2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3 1/2 cups milk
    12 ounces Velveeta (cubed)
    1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup sliced green onions

Scrub and pierce potatoes; microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.

In a saucepain, melt the butter. Stir in flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Add the Velveeta and bacon; stir until Velveeta is melted. Removed from heat; set aside.

Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Place a third of the slices in a greased 9x13 baking pan; top with 1/3 of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and onion. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings.

False
    Put this all together and when you get to where you are going, cook on low for a couple of hours. Afterall, everything is cooked, it just has to come together.

RE: POTATOE SIDE DISH
    Posted by: cathyb57_59_Mo Posted on: 3/10/2004 9:04:36 AM
    #R3219182
    I made these last night for supper. I could eat the whole thing by myself. ;o)

Texas Potatoes

1 2lb package frozen hash browns
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 tsp salt (I omit)
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 16oz carton sour cream
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix together potatoes, butter, salt, pepper, onion, soup, sour cream and cheese. Place in 3-1/2 qt crock pot. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.

Kathy

False
    This is the same recipe I posted for Scalloped Potatoes earlier. It is really good and quick & easy to do. If I were taking it out, I would go through the steps to assembly the layers, but delay baking until serving time. The cheddar on top probalby would harden before serving time. Since it is such a short baking time, I would wait and finish at my destination. Nancy W.
    False
    I like to drain canned whole potatoes and pour into a greased casserole dish. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle generously with garlic powder, parsley and lots of parmesan cheese. Bake until golden brown (about 30 minutes at 375 or 400º). This makes a good side dish for steak or meatloaf.

False
    thank you ladies (I think you're all ladies!). these are fabulous recipes! now I have to pick one out but I can certainly use all of these for my family since they LOVE potatoes in every form.

thanks again!
    False
    These are wonderful with steak.

Herb and Garlic Roasted Potatoes

2 envelopes Lipton's Recipe Secrets Savory Herb & Garlic mix
    1/3 c. olive or vegetable oil
    about 4 lbs. small red potatoes, cut into chunks (leave skins on)

Toss all together in 13 x 9 roasting pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 mins., stirring occasionally.
    Note: The half-size foil steam table pan works good for these.
    False