Olathe Corn? Ever tried it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Olathe Corn? Ever tried it?

Last post Aug 11, 2009 3:20 PM by debjg_ny . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Olathe Corn? Ever tried it?

It's corn that comes from a certain area in Colorado-that would be Olathe- Stick out tongue. They have it at krogers. I just bought some last nite and am going to cook it today. Will boil an ear for me and cut the rest off of the cob for creamed corn. 

It's supposed to be really good corn. I did buy the white.

edited to add, loves corn on the cob, better boil 2 ears for myselfBig Smile

False

• Re: Olathe Corn? Ever tried it?

Not familiar with it and we don't have Kroger here. We have Silver Queen in our neck of the woods and it's good and sweet. This year has been so-so at times. Small ears and some not good at all.

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

It's the best, IMO, but I lived in CO for 40+ years and always bought that kind.  They had it here last week and I got 4 ears, and enjoyed every one!  Also got a couple of Rocky Ford cantaloupe which are the best, also!  

pegg

False

pegg

Buffetfan, I do love Silver Queen corn.

Pegg, do you boil yours or cut it off the cob?  I was reading that if you boil it on the cob, to shorten the cooking time. Do you? Should I shorten the cooking time for the corn that I cut off of the cob?

False

Olathe is THE best corn I've ever tasted. We just had it for $.16 an ear and I bought 10. Also Rocky Ford cantaloupe and Palisade Peaches are the best. You won't be sorry you tried it.

BJ

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

Just bought some yesterday (3/$1) and am going to have it for lunch today.  My favorite way to do it is the microwave.  I know it really looks good and fresh.  Love corn!

Carolyn

False

I've never seen that kind but found Mirai corn at the store yesterday. It was 6 ears for $3.00! Has anyone had this type?

chefly

False

Olathe is what we get also.  We love it & like to boil it for approx. 5 minutes with milk & sugar added to the water when boiling.  Then take it out and put directly on the grill to char/carmelize it a bit.  Yumm!   

Suziee

False

Well, I just had my corn for lunch and I'll have to say----it was the best corn I've ever had!  So tender and sweet.  I take off most of the husks, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 4 minutes. Then the husks and silks all come off in a clean sweep.  I think I should go back to the store and get some more.

Carolyn

False
    • Computer [co]
    My DS lives in CO I'll have to check with him.
    False

This was good corn. However, I've had silver queen corn that's just as good. If I find it on sale, will buy it again.

Thanks for your replies about this.

False

I just went over to Olathe, Co. & brought back some of the peaches and cream. This is such a great tasting corn, I think you will really enjoy it. Also brought back a case of peaches which are also out of this world. The peach festival is this coming week-end and we are going to try and make a trip over to get more of eack. We ended up sharing all of this batch. Let us know what you think!

False
    Toadster#2

I live in Olathe, KS and we get Olathe, CO corn. lol  I had it often and it's always good when it's nice and fresh.  I don't boil anymore though since I found this recipe.

< /TR>
    RE: ? re: frozen corn in the husk - then what
    Posted by: ElileviTX Posted on: 8/17/2007 11:41:05 PM
    #R9428265
    I found this recipe jd_az posted in 2005 and since then it is the only way that I cook corn on the cob. It is so good. Jerry

Subject: Rec: Fresh Corn on the Cob (Microwave)
    Posted by: jd_az Replies: 8 Posted on: 8/30/2005 9:11:14 AM
    #T563965
    My sil emailed this too me and it's so simple, but so unbelievable good.

Fresh Corn on the Cob (microwave)
    Cook fresh corn on the cob in microwave with husks and silk intact. They will cook in their own natural moisture.

Place on paper towel. Turn ears over and rearrange after 1/2 the cooking time.
    Cooking timetable:
    1 ear- 1-1/2 minutes
    2 ears- 3-4 minutes
    3 ears- 5-6 minutes
    4 ears- 7-8 minutes
    5 ears- 8-9 minutes
    When ears are hot to the touch, remove and wrap in kitchen towel or foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove husks and silk (which is easier that when cold) and serve.
    (a little hot to the touch, but it is quick)
    Jill

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

I have bought the Olathe corn at Krogers, and it is good.  But, when my family were visiting last week, we went to the farmer's market and bought Peaches and Cream.  It was fresh from the field and simply delicious.  There are crowds at the market on Wednesday and Saturday mornings just waiting for this corn.  We bought two ears each (it was a good size), and that was our lunch.  I don't know whether that is a local corn or not.  It's a bicolor corn.

False

FredMeyers (which is owned by Krogers) had a sale last week and I bought some!  Yumm!

I have bought bodacious at the Farmers Market a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful!

I always love our local corn!

False