Homemade Hot Pack that works and is easy to make.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homemade Hot Pack that works and is easy to make....

Last post Sep 03, 2009 8:32 PM by Opallu . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Homemade Hot Pack that works and is easy to make....

Dh recently jammed his neck and he was so stiff and sore.  My neighbor who is in her mid 80's told me about this trick.  It sounds weird but it works!  Here is what you do:

Take a cotton sock and fill it with raw white rice. I used long grain.  Tie sock shut.  Microwave 1 1/2 - 3 minutes.  If you leave it in 3 minutes it will be very hot.  Do NOT put on if you have used a pain releving cream.  It works on your back.  I also put it on my knee. It stays warm for quit awhile.

It is a hot moist heat.  Best of all NO chemicals.

Next time your in pain or are stiff, give this little trick aa try.  You can also use the sock  over and over.  The neighbor has had hers going on 4 years she think....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: Homemade Hot Pack that works and is easy to make....

I make these all the time.  I've also used cherry pits (took a long time to gather them & clean them thoroughly)..a friend uses something else that she gets in large bags from Farm & Fleet.  Might be dried corn ? - assume it's something that won't 'pop' in the microwave.  I've also been known to add cinnamon, cloves or lavender to the dry rice to make them smell nice.  Also good to heat up in the winter & slip under the covers.  Don't stuff it too full or it won't be flexible.  And, the rice works better than the cherry pits...holds the heat better & is more comfortable. 

And, if you're looking for ice packs...take heavy-duty freezer zip-lock bags & fill them w/1/3 part alcohol to 2/3 water.  I'd suggest double bagging them to prevent leaks but the alcohol prevents the water from freezing solid so they're flexible & of course, reusable.  I have a vacuum sealers so after I freeze the zip-lock bag...I seal it in the much heavier bag...have had some for years.  The amounts of water/alcohol are flexible...not precise. 

False

Thanks- both of you- for the good advice!

Margaret

False

Yes,  you can also use dry field corn.  I always raid one of our grain bins.  These make great gifts.  My grandson loves his,  he takes it to bed with him during the winter.  They are great for back aches.    I usually stitch up a rectangle shape of fabric to put the corn in.  You can also make it with muslin and then make a pretty "pillow case" to go over it. 

Debbie

False

Great advice! I too have a cherry pit warmer that wraps around whatever body part needs it!

~~susie.

False

Great ideas here!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Yes, these are great!  I have been using a total of 4 rectangles (of soft baby blanket) now over 5 or 6 years. 

Don't get too much cold weather here in Florida, but for those few times we do, I too have heated them up and placed them in the bed. 

Lori

False

Good Ideas ....  Thanks for sharing.  Like the idea of "scenting up"  the rice ... 

bdett

False

Great tips!

Thank you.

Beth

False

This would make great Christmas gifts.

Thanks for the hints 

False

I use tube socks to make the rice warmers. I sew the edge closed and then make a case from a small towel. You can wash the towel after the warmer is used.

Nancy Z.

False

KansasDebb

Yes,  you can also use dry field corn.  I always raid one of our grain bins.  These make great gifts.  My grandson loves his,  he takes it to bed with him during the winter.  They are great for back aches.    I usually stitch up a rectangle shape of fabric to put the corn in.  You can also make it with muslin and then make a pretty "pillow case" to go over it. 

Debbie

As the lucky recipient of one of Debbie's corn heating bags, I can give a review of two thumbs up!      :)     It's excellent for muscle aches, cramps, and I also use it to warm up the bed in the winter     :)    

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

I use wheat in mine. For a neck one I make a long tube then sew channels in it so the wheat does not shake around so much.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

I forgot how good going back to school sounds! Our schools don't start until September 8th and pre-school on the 14th.  I haven't had kids in the home for over 15 years and now watching 4 and sometimes 5 - lets me feel my age or older lol.  I miss all my bb friends.

Wheat, dried field corn (slap - on the front of my forehead- never thought about those).  Now I wonder has anyone ever used dried soybeans?  Wonder what that would be like? 

What great ideas from everyone.  I feel so dumb living in Minnesota I never thought about a bed warmer.  This is the coldest summer on history it going on 11 am and it's 66 degrees outside.  Finally some sunshine too.  We need it and some heat for our flowers and tomatoes.

Take care my friends....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

I have a bib shaped bag filled with flax. Works great for sore necks, shoulders or backs!

False