recipes from LOONEYSPOONS, CRAZY PLATES and... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

recipes from LOONEYSPOONS, CRAZY PLATES and...

Last post Sep 25, 2009 9:33 AM by Appy_Girl . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • recipes from LOONEYSPOONS, CRAZY PLATES and...

I have many cookbooks -- as do many of you -- and very much enjoy browsing through them.  I thought it would be a good idea if I pick a specific book -- in this case three books by Janet & Greta Podleski -- LOONEYSPOONS, CRAZY PLATES and EAT, SHRINK & BE MERRY.  They are Canadian but their work is popular beyond Canada.  Their recipes are low-fat food that is good for you.

Then I could say which recipe(s) I've tried and enjoyed, hate or was indifferent to.  And others who have done something from that cookbook could do the same.  I would then have a nice direction towards the next recipe to try.  If someone reads a recipe title they would like to try but does not have the book, I would be willing to type it out.

So from CRAZY PLATES

I tried Skinny Minestone and thought it was very good.

I tried Obi Wonton Kenobi (wonton soup) and thought the meat mixture needed a little something, but I like the broth and I liked the method of filling the wontons -- first time for me

DD tried We're Yammin' -- a sweet potato/yam soup -- and she loved it -- she did not use the orange zest -- I'm going to try it tomorrow

From EAT, SHRINK &  BE MERRY

DD and I tried Mind Your Peas and Cous -- a couscous salad that we both really liked -- we left out the dill and olives because I don't like either

Well enough for now -- I have seen this done once before on this BB with the FIX IT & FORGET IT cookbook

Aleida

False
  • Re: recipes from LOONEYSPOONS, CRAZY PLATES and...

Aleida, those are the cutest play on word names they have. I have been eating healthier most of the time for a year and a half now so I will absolutely look in if you decide to share these.

The won ton soup and skinny menistrone sound good already.

Thank you for sharing this and for you offer.Big Smile

~Jan~

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

SKINNY MINESTONE

2 tsp olive oil

3/4 cup chopped Spanish onions

1/2 cup diced celery

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

3 cups low-sodium, low-fat chicken or vegetable broth

3 cups vegetable cocktail (V-8 juice)

1 cup each chopped carrots, chopped zucchini, and chopped green cabbage

1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed

2 oz baby shells or tubetti pasta, uncooked (1/2 cup dry)

3 Tbsp chopped, fresh parsley

1 bay leaf

2 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp each dried thyme and black pepper

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add onions, celery, and garlic.  Cook and stir for 3 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.

Add all remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Simmer patially covered, for 30 mintues

Makes 8 servings

False

Obi Wonton Kenobi  (from Crazy Plates cookbook)

Filling

8 oz skinless ground chicken or turkey  (I used ground pork because that's what I think is wonton)

1/4 cup minced green onions

2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

1 tsp each grated gingerrot, sesame oil, and cornstarch

1 egg white

1/4 tsp salt  (I omitted this since I did not use low-sodium soy sauce nor chicken broth)

30 wonton wrappers 

Broth

6 cups low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (I omitted because basil doesn't belong in wonton soup IMHO)

1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

2 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp gingerroot

--Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl.  Mix well.  Working one at a time, place 1 teaspoon of filling in center of wonton wrapper.  Fold one side over to enclose filling, making a triangle.  Moisten edges and press down to seal.  Bring the two points of the base of the triangle around filling, Overlap them, moisten, and press together.  Place filled wonton on a tray and cover with a damp kitchen towel.  Repeat with remaining wontons.  (I also covered the wontons in the package.  I only used one side of the package -- 28 -- so I had some meat mixture left over.  That I just rolled into meatballs and used like that.  I put my completed ones on a cookie sheet and covered as instructed.  So the tops were good but the bottoms were starting to stick to the cookie sheet.  Next time I will try putting a damp towel on the cookie sheet and lay them on that so that their bottoms stay moist as well)

--To cook wontons, bring a large post of water to a boil over high heat.  Add wontons.  Stir once or twice to prevent wontons from sticking together.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Remove wontons using a slotted spoon.  Drain well.  (I did mine in two batches because I really didn't want them to stick together.)

--To make soup, bring broth to a boil in a medium pot.  Add onions, basil, soy sauce, sesame oil, and gingerrot.  Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.

--To serve soup, place 5 wontons in the bottom of each soup bow.  Ladle hot broth over wontons and serve immediately.  (I did that and then put the rest of the wontons directly into the pot with the broth -- keeps them from drying out and we weren't going to eat it all in one sitting.)

False

I think this is a great idea. 

I don't have any of those cookbooks so I can't help with the good recipes but wanted to thank you for posting the first 2 requested ones and to ask if you could please post Mind Your Peas and Cous.

Thanks,

Sue

False

Mind Your Peas and Cous

DRESSING

1/2 cup bottled low-fat Italian dressing

2 Tbsp sun-dried-tomato pesto

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice  

2 tsp grated lemon zest

1 tsp granulated sugar

SALAD

1 2/3 cups uncooked whole wheat couscous (I used the plain)

1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 cup peeled, diced English cucumber

1 cup diced orange or yellow bell pepper

1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes

3/4 cup chopped green onions (with white parts)

1/2 cup crumbled light feta cheese (2 oz/57 g)

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (I left out - personal preference)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup chopped black olives (optional) ( I left out - personal preference)

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.

Prepare couscous according to package directions, omitting salt and butter.  Let cool.

In a large bowl, toss together cooked couscous and remaining ingredients.  Add salad dressing and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  toss before serving.

When I make it again -- I would cut back on the amount of couscous (perhaps half plus a bit) but keep the veggies amount as is.  It makes a lot.  It was super yummy!

False

Thank you for the recipe & your tips for next time you make it.  It does sound delicious.

I am sorry it took me so long to respond back again.

Have a great day.

Sue

False

You're welcome.  I made the soup last night and it sure is good.   Would you like that recipe?

False

Thank you Aleida, these look really good.  I'll keep checking back to see what else you post here.

Marilyn

False

We're Yammin'  (soup)

6 cups peeled, cubed yams or sweet potatoes (about 3 large)

1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced

5 cups low-fat chicken broth

1 Tbsp each grated orange zest and gingerroot (I didn't have an orange so did without)

1 whole clove

1/2 tsp each ground cumin and salt (I love cumin and think it adds so much to a soup)

1/4 tsp black pepper

6 Tbsp low-fat sour cream

chopped, fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)

Spray a shall roasting pan with non-stick spray.  Add yams, onions, olive oil, and garlic.  Stir well.  Roast, uncovered, at 425º for 25 minutes.  Stir once, halfway through cooking time.

Transfer mixture to a soup pot.  Add broth, orange zest, gingerroot, clove, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (Yahoo a chance to use my magic bullet)  (I took out the clove -- don't know if that was necessary but I did)  Serve hot with a swirl of sour cream in the center.  (I am not a fan of sour cream but DD said it add to the soup)  Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.  (I love cilantro and of course added it -- yummo!!)

Enjoy

False

Gm Aleida,  What a nice idea.  Both soups look wonderful~  Thanks so much for sharing.  I'll stop back from time to time and if I make any recipes from one of my favorites I'll be sure to post it here ~  Janie ~ Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.