Girl Scout stew recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Girl Scout stew recipe?

Last post Apr 24, 2013 7:55 PM by CathyDunham . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Girl Scout stew recipe?

I've been searching for a Girl Scout stew recipe. I believe it was included in the Junior Girl Scout handbook that was published in the '60s. My handbook is a bit newer (mid 70s edition) and it's not in there.

I recall we browned grounded beef and added a can of mixed vegetables. I believe it has a tomato soup base. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have searched other recipe sites, but would like someone to share the recipe as it actually appears in the handbook. Thanks!

False
  • Re: Girl Scout stew recipe?

False
    Photobucket

That sounds really good but I don't recall it having sausage in it. Anyone else?

False

I hope one of these are it for you.Smile

Girl Scout Stew

1 pound  ground beef
    1 can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 can vegetable beef soup, undiluted
    1 can mixed vegetables
    1 can sliced potatoes
    Freshly ground black pepper

Brown beef and drain well. Add the tomato and vegetable beef soups. Add the mixed vegetables and sliced potatoes, including the juice in the cans.

Season with pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes to combine flavors. Serve in large soup bowls. A sprinkle of Parmesan, shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese is a nice garnish.

Girl Scout Ground Beef Stew

1 lb hamburger
     2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
     2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable soup
    2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans water

Brown hamburger in medium pot, drain off fat.
    Add 2 cans tomato soup, 2 cans vegetable soup, and 2 soup cans full of water.
    Stir well and heat through.

False

Sounds very good !  Thanks for sharing ~  Janie ~  Interesting name ! Never heard if it beforeHmm

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Got this off a site scoutorama.com,

Garbage

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 lb. ground beef

4 cans mixed Veg All mixed vegetables

4 cans Franco American Spaghetti

1/4 Catsup

Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown ground beef with the onion, add catsup, add all other ingredients. 

False

If you go to the scoutorama.com website there are a ton of recipes under camping recipes, who knows maybe the recipe you are looking for is there.

False

I copied this recipe from my Junior Girl Scout Handbook. First Printing, April 1963; Thirteenth Printing, April 1971

Campfire Stew (8 servings)

Ingredients:                                                                                     Utensils:

2 pounds hamburger                                                                             Kettle and soap

1 onion, peeled and cut in small squares                                              Stirring spoon

1 tablespoon fat                                                                                     Knife

2 10 3/4 - ounce cans condensed vegetable soup                                Tablespoon

Salt and pepper                                                                                     Can opener

1. Put fat in bottom of kettle.
    2. Add salt and pepper to hamburger and separate hamburger into little pieces or make little balls of it.
    3. Fry hamburger with the onion until the onion is light brown and hamburger is well browned all over.
    4. Pour off excess fat.
    5. Add vegetable soup and enough water or soup stock to prevent sticking.
    6. Cover and cook slowly until meat is cooked through. Serve hot.
    False

I think that must be it! Thank you. I'll have to try it soon - or at least wait till this Chicago weather cools down.

False

Thanks, CandyCakes. You rock!

Very few people dig out their Jr Girl Scout book to make this correctly or to share. 

• The liquid soap was used to coat the bottom of the kettle and up the sides. (Not too close to the handles, so you don't get it near the rim.) Do this earlier in the day so the soap gets a chance to dry. The soap prevents the kettle from getting charred and then clean-up is a snap!!

I eat a lot less hamburger nowadays, but this is a wonderful childhood dish I'd never want to alter. Kids gobble it up... In a pinch, I've made it indoors, but it does miss out on that woodsy flavor only a campfire can add. :)

False