What can you use to substitute for nuts in a recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What can you use to substitute for nuts in a recipe?

Last post Nov 15, 2009 6:46 AM by Alliea . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • What can you use to substitute for nuts in a recipe?

thanks

False
  • Re: What can you use to substitute for nuts in a recipe?

It would depend on the recipe and how many nuts were in the recipe.

I use Grape Nuts cereal to add to cookies in place of nuts when baking for my church kids as many of them don't like nuts.

Many times you can just omit the nuts from a recipe.

False

Seeing as my oldest is severely allergic to nuts I've tried to find subs...but you know what?  Nothing really does it for me.  Of course I know what the taste is so maybe that makes me a little jaded.  So my kids inhale cookies without nuts.  None of my brownies have nuts.  Of course I make nutbread but they don't eat that - I give that away to friends.

I've tried Grape Nuts, but it just wasn't the same to me.  My kids didn't seem to care if it had Grape Nuts in it or not.  So I just leave it out.

Will be following this thread to see any unique answers.

Cathy

False

We cannot have nuts here.  If the recipe has choc chips or dried fruit in it - I just add more of that.

False

I just saw this on a Jewish recipes site while looking for recipes for haroset.

Haroset is a dip/side dish of fruit and nuts.  Had it when visited a Biblical museum where a traditional Passover Meal is served.  Or as close as they can come with today's foods. 

.  I don't know anything about Matzo, personally.

'When nuts are expensive, people use matzo meal (ground matzo) in addition to or in place of nuts to help stretch the haroset. Matzo meal is also a good option for diners with nut allergies.'

False

Roasted sunflower seeds are a good substitute. They also make "Sunbutter" from sunflower seeds, it replaces peanut butter for those allergic to nuts.

False

I've had good luck substituting Rice Krispies cereal for the nuts in some recipes, particularly cookies and Star's Tollhouse pie.   

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

FROM ochef site

Q. My child is allergic to peanuts and nuts. What is the procedure to remove this ingredient from a recipe when called for? I was told that I could most likely replace by 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour but I am not certain.

A. What are you making and what role do the nuts play? Whole nuts and fragments are most often used in recipes just to add flavor, and can generally be omitted. Some people substitute soy nuts — which are not nuts, but roasted soybeans — to add flavor and crunch when nuts are off limits. Soy nuts are available salted or unsalted, and can be found in health food stores if not your local supermarket.

If a recipe calls for a flour-like nut ingredient such as almond meal, the substitution of flour may be your best bet. But some people prefer to use bran instead, which imparts much more flavor.

In the case of a nut butter or puree, the nuts add flavor, oil, and solids to the recipe. In that case, you might consider adding some flour or bran to substitute for the solids and some oil to replace the fat. You may have to guess at what the texture of the dough or batter would be if you used the specified ingredients, and experiment with the quantities of flour and oil needed to approximate the right texture.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009