Which cut of beef best for Pot Roast | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Which cut of beef best for Pot Roast

Last post Dec 09, 2009 7:59 PM by Katy212 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Which cut of beef best for Pot Roast

My daughter made a pot roast for her family and was disappointed.  The taste was very good but the meat was not the kind that falls apart easily after cooking for several hours in the crockpot.  I thought maybe it was the cut of beef she used.  She has 4 boys and is on a tight budget.  I could not help her since I rarely make a beef pot roast.  Thank you.

False
  • Re: Which cut of beef best for Pot Roast

Try to stay away from loin and other expensive cuts of meat. Anything from the chuck is good for braising. Probably the best is a cross rib roast. You need some fat to  keep the meat moist. Just because it is sitting in water, doesn't mean it can't dry out. And slow cooking is probably the best way to cook a pot roast. Hope this helps.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Hope I can help you here. The first thing you want is a good USDA Choice beef. For pot roast a chuck roll is used and sometimes a little fatty, I like a good arm roast which is off the front quarter beside the chuck but is leaner. Else a good Rump roast and that is off the hindquarter and come from the gooseneck or flat. That may be a little more money. It should be tender in the crock pot. Did she have it in there long enough? So hope this helps you.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

I always use a chuck roast. I buy them when on sale so I can have an inexpensive but yummy meal. I do mine in the crockpot with a can of mushroom soup and a packet of dry onion soup mix and a half can of water. It always comes out tender, moist and falling apart. I also add carrots and potatoes to the crockpot along with the meat and soups.

False

I always use a chuck roast.  They are fairly inexpensive and taste wonderful.  They tend to be fatty, but in the crock pot, the fat just sort of melts away.  This cut is also good for any recipe you need shredded beef for - we make shredded beef tacos.  Cook meat in crock pot, remove, drain most of the liquid, shred meat, put back in crock pot with taco seasoning.  stir to combine and serve with tortillas and all the taco fixings you like.

Kathleen

False

Thanks to all of you for your help about the cut of beef for pot roast.  I will pass this along to my daughter and I know she will try your suggestions.  I really appreciate you and I know she will be grateful, too.

False

She may not have cooked it long enough.  You have to cook a roast a LONG time.  Mine used to be tough until I figured this out.

False