Why do breads sink in the middle? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do breads sink in the middle?

Last post Dec 23, 2009 4:23 PM by doitl8tr . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Why do breads sink in the middle?

Hello,

I just made some quick breads and most of them have now sunk down in the middle and don't look the nicest? Why did this happen??Paradise

False
  • Re: Why do breads sink in the middle?

Typically one of two things causes a quick bread to sink - a) it wasn't quite done or b) the batter is too wet.

When you cut them, you'll notice the middle is a little doughy.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

because it's not done. bread should pop right up to 200^ when it's done. invest $5. in a pocket thermometer with a long stem. it's worth every dime. stick the thermom. into the center all the way. 190^ is usually acceptable as well. i have been a baker for 600 kids at an elem. school for 13 years. hope this helps.
    False
    I should correct myself & say this information is for yeast breads as far as temps. if Quick bread sinks in the middle it is definitely not done.
    False

Thank you for your responses. I had a feeling it was that. I was working out of new ovens (double ovens) and was baking a couple of different ones. I think I need to double check the temps. in the ovens because some loaves turned out and some did not. This sure isn't the time of year where you need to be redoing things isn't it?? Sad Darn!          Paradise

False

Thank you for your responses. I had a feeling it was that. I was working out of new ovens (double ovens) and was baking a couple of different ones. I think I need to double check the temps. in the ovens because some loaves turned out and some did not. This sure isn't the time of year where you need to be redoing things isn't it?? Sad Darn!          Paradise

False