REC & PIC Split Pea Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC & PIC Split Pea Soup

Last post Jan 05, 2010 8:57 PM by Munchmouse . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • REC & PIC Split Pea Soup

Can you believe I used the recipe on the back of the bag of peas? The first time I made it I was skeptical, but then ingredient list looked good. That was years ago and i've been making my Pea Soup this way ever since. Then today like a nut, I threw the bag away into the huge trashcan and i didn't think twice about it (I had it written down somewhere right?) It was at the bottom and I had thrown away more stuff, yukky stuff and there was no way to retrieve the recipe. Lucky for me, my store has a website and the soup recipe is there!! I made only one change to the recipe and it works for us. I use a ham shank and put it in while the peas are cooking. I use the ham shank when I make Lima Bean soup too and it just makes the flavor better. Add some nice warm crusty bread and this makes a satisfying meal.

Split Pea Soup

Adapted from Albertsonsmarket.com

Heart-Healthy & it freezes very well.

Servings: 8

Yield: 12 cups (3L)

Ingredients

2 cups split peas, uncooked

5 cups water, or more if needed (Used 7cups)

1 bay leaf

1 tsp salt (omitted because I used the ham shank)

2 cups carrots, chopped

1 cup celery, chopped

1 cup onion, chopped

1 tsp thyme (fresh chopped)

1/2 tsp pepper, or more if needed (used white pepper)

1 tsp garlic powder( used 1 crushed clove)

Directions

Rinse and drain split peas.

Combine dried split peas, water, bay leaf, and salt in a large soup pot, add the ham shank. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Stir occasionally to prevent the split peas from sticking, and to make sure that there is enough water. Add water if the soup looks like it is becoming too dry.

Add carrots, celery, onions and seasonings.

Continue to simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Add more water if a thinner soup is desired.

Remove Ham Shank, take meat off and add to soup.

False

There are some things that Money just cannot buy, Manners, Morals and Intelligence.

• Re: Split Pea Soup

Munch That Looks Divine ~  I also like to use Chopped Bacon ~  It too adds a nice level of flavor ~  Thanks  abunch ~  Going to check out the carbs  ~  Janie   ~

Thanks so much for sharing ~  You and Carol post some very nice recipes ~  Keep it up ~ Yes

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

GM Janie, 

Thank You for your kind words. They mean a lot to us.

Here is the nutrient info that I have, just forgot to post it~

Cyndy

Amount Per Serving
     Calories: 266
     Total Fat: 0.9g
     Cholesterol: 0mg
     Sodium: 219mg
     Total Carbohydrates: 49.6g
     Dietary Fiber: 18.4g
     Protein: 16.9g

False

There are some things that Money just cannot buy, Manners, Morals and Intelligence.

Thanks  so much Cyndy~  You may have noticed that I am trying to watch the Carbs lately~  Some of the best things are full of carbs ~  Angry

I'll keep this one in mind for later on ~  I promised to be a good girl on the l/C chat so I'll have to stick to something  for awhile.  Then perhaps a reward will be in the way of a cup of this great soup ~  Which happens to be my favorite ~  Janie ~

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I know what you mean Janie about the carbs. with a cup of this soup, it's hard to practice moderation.  I know you can't tell by the pictures, but most of my dishes, cups and glassware I use are small. They only look bigger in the pictures!!  Less storage space, more stuff for pictures!!  Love finding unusual pieces to use.

If I can remember, i'll try and post the carb content with the recipes.

Cyndy

False