What's your favorite way to pre-cook chicken? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What's your favorite way to pre-cook chicken?

Last post Jan 19, 2010 4:54 PM by auee . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • What's your favorite way to pre-cook chicken?

Many recipes call for cooked, chopped chicken.  When you pre-cook chicken to use in a recipe, what's your go-to method? 

False
    Blessings, Christy
  • Re: What's your favorite way to pre-cook chicken?

It varies Christy. If I'm using it on a salad or in a Mexican dish I like to put a rub on it and either grill it or smoke it. If I'm using it in chicken salad, pot pie or casserole, I will either saute or simmer it in a liquid seasoned according to what I plan on using it in. Sometimes I'll load the smoker up with 3-6 chickens and smoke and freeze the meat or if I have the showtime rotisserie out I'll put 3 in it so we have some leftovers to freeze. 

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
     I always stew my chicken (cook in chicken broth and pour broth over chicken after it's de-boned)…then what ever I want I can add the juicy chicken, season it according to the dish I’m fixing. Really helps when I’m running late or need to get a fast meal down to Mother. I will cook a couple chickens at the first of the week ~ sure makes my live easier! Good luck.

False

Photobucket

In the crockpot!! I ususally fix 2 whole chickens, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. You can also ad carrots, celery and onion if you want. Add 1 cup of boiling water and cook for 2-3 hours. The chicken will fall off the bone and you'll get some good chicken stock as a bonus.

When they are done cooking, I let cool and then debone, and freeze the meet in 1 cup pkg  so it is ready when I need it for casseroles. I also freeze the strained broth if I don't need it right away.

False
    "Aunt" Mary

I only use chicken breasts and I usually put them in a dish, season and add a little water, then bake in the oven for about an hour at 350º.  For some reason, I just can't stand the smell when they simmer on top of the stove.  Seems like it penetrates the whole house.

Carolyn

False

I am full of questions as I need a relatively odorless way to cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts for later use. Do you use boneless skinless breasts, skinless on bone breasts or skin on bone breasts? Does it matter which for cooking time and if so, how so>? How much water for what quantity? What seasoning do you use?

Thanks so much for the help; I need it.

False

I have done the crockpot chicken, it turns out tender and juicy. If I cook them (Breasts) on top of the stove, I then chill them in the broth. They are also tender and juicy that way. My favorite way is to season the filets, wrap in foil, place in a dish and bake until done through. Cool, and dice.

False

If it's on the bone or a whole chicken, I bake it off in the oven. I like the flavor of the chicken when it has been baked.  If I want to do a quick cook and have boneless chicken breasts thawed, I poach them in chicken broth that I add a few cloves of garlic to along with a few peppercorns.  Quick and easy......

Carol

False

Baking at low temp, leaves it nice and moist, much like rotisserie chicken

False

I usually boil them until just barely done. Over cooking is possible in my opinion even when boiling....I think they can get kinda dry.

My second best method is go to Costco and buy one of their rotisseri chickens. They're outstanding.

Linda....love your gingerbread men.

False

When I am in a hurry I usually just stick bone in chicken breasts in a skillet with water and a couple of bullion cubes and sometimes a little dried parsley, put the lid on and poach them until tender then shred for whatever I need them for.

The quickest way of all is go to Costco and shred one of thier pre cooked chickens. Love their chickens.

~Jan~

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~