?? - Freezing Scones - ?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

?? - Freezing Scones - ??

Last post Jan 25, 2010 1:01 AM by kaly_ab . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ?? - Freezing Scones - ??

Does anyone make scones ahead of time and then freeze them for use later? Do you make and bake....then freeze? OR do you Make...then freeze...then bake later as needed? What were your results as far as texture and taste?

Finally, Do you have a recipe that is good for doing this? I rarely eat scones and a friend of mine wanted all this information...if you could help, I'd appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Shannon

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

• Re: ?? - Freezing Scones - ??

I make several different kinds of scones and don't have any problem freezing them to use later.  I just heat them in the microwave for about 30 sec.
    False

Is there a really good recipe?

False

Hi, Shannon!  I freeze scones all the time - both baked and unbaked.  I haven't noticed any difference in taste or texture.  This recipe calls for whipping cream and butter.  IMO, it really does make a difference if a person substitutes margarine or skim milk for these items.  Here is my recipe:

Scones

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp. sugar

4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/3 c. butter, cut into pieces

3/4 c. whipping cream (not whipped)

2 beaten eggs

1/2 c. dried currants or snipped raisins (I always use at least 1 c.)

milk (for brushing tops)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine whipping cream, beaten eggs, and dried fruit.  In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Using a pastry blender (or two knives), cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  (Don't make crumbs too fine.  Visible bits of butter is fine.)  Make a well in center of dry mixture.  Add whipping cream, eggs, and currants or raisins all at once.  Using a fork, stir just until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Quickly knead 10-12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth.  Pat or lightly flatten dough and cut into squares or circles.  Place scones 1-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Brush top of scones with milk.  Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden.  Remove scones from baking sheet and serve warm.  Yield:  16 scones

Notes:  Shannon, instead of the more traditional currants or raisins, I have used dried cranberries, cherries, apricots, etc. or a mixture of several dried fruits.   Also, if you are going to freeze the scones before baking, do not brush with milk. 

A warm scone - a dollop of clotted cream - fresh strawberry jam = heaven!

Diana

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast

bump for Shannon

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast

Thanks Diana! I got the recipe and the info and passed them along to my friend. She was very appreciative. Thanks so much! Talk to you soon!

Shannon

False

I had to stick my 2 cents in, I am making scones today and this recipe is delish.

Deb//

Taste of Home Logo

Cranberry Orange Scones

Cranberry Orange Scones
    Moist and scrumptious, these scones come out perfect every time. I savor the chewy dried cranberries and sweet orange glaze. There's nothing better than serving these remarkable scones warm with the delicate orange butter.
    10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 10 teaspoons sugar, divided
    • 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/3 cup cold butter
    • 1 cup dried cranberries
    • 1/4 cup orange juice
    • 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tablespoon milk

• GLAZE (optional):
    • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 1 tablespoon orange juice

• ORANGE BUTTER:
    • 1/2 cup butter, softened
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons orange marmalade

Directions

• In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange peel,
    • baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture
    • resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the
    document.write('');

2 of 2

Cranberry Orange Scones (continued)

Directions (continued)

• cranberries, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and
    • stir until a soft dough forms.

• On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-in.
    • circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on an
    • ungreased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining
    • sugar.

• Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
    • to a wire rack.

• Combine glaze ingredients if desired; drizzle over scones. Combine
    • orange butter ingredients; serve with warm scones. Yield: 10
    • scones.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 331 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
    False

Those Cranberry Orange Scones look so good!!! I need to get some orange juice and try them!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/