What kind of dry white wine do you use in cooking? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What kind of dry white wine do you use in cooking?

Last post Mar 21, 2010 6:49 PM by buffetfan . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • What kind of dry white wine do you use in cooking?

When a recipe calls for dry white wine, what do you use? I know it needs to be a decent quality, but I'm curious what y'all use?

False
  • Re: What kind of dry white wine do you use in cooking?

Hi Arlene,  I rarely use white wine to cook with.  Intead I prefer  to use a a Dry vermouth.  To me it is less harsh and is more on the delicate side..  I just think that it cooks down better, leaving a very nice taste.

Some white wines can leave that after briney taste.  To me Vermouth is drier and definately more subtle ~ 

I would never say never in  a pinch but Vermouth is one I would choose ~Janie

The brand that I use is Martin  and Rossie.  Just be sure it is dry ~  

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

well drat that quick reply button~

I almost always have Pinot Gris or Pino Grigio around...I really am not fond of the oaked wine like Chardonnay...it is just me, but not even the oaked reds...

The Pino Grigio is even a good drinking sipping wine, too...I even made a cake with the same wine if there is just too much 'dryness' to it for me to drink sip at! I think I did a review on that cake a few years ago and it was quite good!

If you have a favorite wine, just use that one!

False

I always have Pinot Grigio on hand because it is one I like to drink, but I thought that might be too sweet to use when the recipe calls for dry white wine. I think we also have dry vermouth in the bar for martinis.

Here is the answer I got when I googled it:

Recipes call for dry wines to avoid the sweetness a sweet or semisweet wine would add to the dish.

Some of the leading dry white wines are Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc and Riesling. Some of the leading dry red wines are Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, Pinot Noir, Grignolino, and Côtes-du-Rhône.

Since I trust y'all more than google, I thought I'd see what you use. Thanks for your replies.

False

I will use whatever type I have.  I prefer to use Chardonny or White Zinfandel (even thought it is on the sweeter side).  And honestly, I've used merlot if I didn't have a white wine more than a time or two.  Embarrassed  Never thought of Vermouth. 

Suziee

False

I usually use the Charles Shaw white wine from Trader Joes. I also sometimes use Sherry instead of white wine. I make a quick curry sauce that calls for white wine, but I always use sherry for that beacause it comes out tasting better.

False

Usually dry white wine...sauvignon blanc but sometimes pinot grigio. We are in the wine business so sometimes it's what we have!

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!