(OT) What does "self identify" mean?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

(OT) What does "self identify" mean??

Last post Mar 25, 2010 5:02 PM by Ann_Marie_PA . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • (OT) What does "self identify" mean??

Filling in an application and it says "are you willing to self identify?" I've never heard of this. Can you help me??

False

• Re: (OT) What does "self identify" mean??

This question has to do with revealing your gender, race, religious beliefs, and other such questions that would identify you on surveys, audits, and similar inquiries.  Universities are doing this a lot now.  The employer is not allowed to discriminate, but they are also being asked to answer questions regarding the demographics of their employees....  so this question is a way around the privacy act, asking you if you are willing to identify yourself in any such inquiry.  There is a lot of debate about the legality of that....  and I am not on top of that issue right now.  And, depending on what the application is for, there may be other larger implications. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

This is not information that you are required to provide -- employers are not allowed to ask you those types of questions -- so this is an request for you to provide it voluntarily if you so choose. It's entirely up to you, and my understanding is this decision cannot have any bearing on your being considered for the position.

False

wow Beema I didnt know that.  reading her question I automatically thought job application and thought maybe they were asking if she is able to "identify" her own faults or maybe see where shes lacking in a certain skill required and be open to constructive criticism to better her job or better the company. Maybe I didnt word that right but I know what im thinking.. just cant get it across in words.  Its been a long time since i have filled out a job application and had never seen that question either. Im sure im WAY off. :)

Karla

False
    Karla

I did call where I got the application because I wasn't sure how to answer it. She more or less told me what you, Beema, had said.  Never heard of it before.  

False