What do you add to your boxed pancake mix to make it more then a plain pancake? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you add to your boxed pancake mix to make it more then a plain pancake?

Last post Mar 30, 2010 3:04 PM by YoHo . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • What do you add to your boxed pancake mix to make it more then a plain pancake?

I like to add a couple of mashed bananas, egg and milk. They all like it around here, depending who is eating them will add chocolate chips. Now I am curious does anyone add anything to make it better??? Thanks. I have read if you let pancake batter sit for 20 min that the pancakes are lighter, am wondering how it would be to have them sit overnight?

False
  • Re: What do you add to your boxed pancake mix to make it more then a plain pancake?

Little guy likes chocolate chips.   I always add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.   I like blueberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon in mine.   

We buy the shake n pour and I use the leftovers the next day and I don't notice a difference in the pancakes either way.

:)

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

• Re: What do you add to your boxed pancake mix to make it more then a plain pancake?

I make my own homemade box mix...so to speak. I found this recipe and have been using it instead of buying a box. It's a great recipe and makes really nice fluffy pancakes. Sometimes, I will substitute some of the regular flour with oat flour. Not all of it as oat flour is so light that it wouldn't be an even swap. But it gives it a bit of a different taste that I like. Just throw some oats in a blender and whirl around until it's powdery to make the oat flour.

Homemade Pancake Mix

6 cups flour

2 cups dry instant powdered milk

6 Tablespoons baking powder

6 Tablespoons sugar

1 Tablespoon salt

View full recipe

Combine flour, powdered milk, baking powder, sugar and salt. Sift several times. It’s important to mix well.

To make pancakes, use 1½ cups dry mix, 1 cup water, 1 egg and 2 tablespoons oil. Beat until smooth and fry on a hot greased griddle or skillet.

Store unused mix in a dry, airtight baggie or a sealed container.

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

PS, I also always add vanilla!

I've heard of others who add orange zest to regular pancakes...they say the orange blends well with the maple syrup. Something to try...you'd have to experiment with the ratio a bit.

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Shannon, that looks super easy, thank you.   Love the oat flour sub.    It was maple weekend in NH and we picked up our yearly ration of syrup, going to put your mix on the to-try list!

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Vanillaand cinnamon here.  My DD makes far better pancakes than I ever did, and she will make the batter up the night before, when she knows she's going to be making them, or at least will let it sit for awhile before baking.

False

We just had this for breakfast today.  I chop up one Granny Smith apple and add it, along with as much cinnamon as you like, to the mix.  So good. 

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Heavenly Hotcakes

Measure into bowl

2/3 cup warm water

2 packages dry yeast

Stir until disolved

Add 2 cups biscuit mix (Pioneer is a very good mix)

1 cup milk

1 egg

Beat until smooth.

You must try these.  They are light and fluffy.

Jerry

False

Vanilla and Sugar!

False

My mom always diced bacon, fried it, drained it and put it into the batter and then fried the pancakes.  Yum!

bookworm78

False

I like to add fruit (prefer black raspberries to blueberries, but triple berry it the best!!). I had leftover canned pumpkin from another recipe, added that to the pancakes...OMG! where they good.

To my french toast mixture I add vanilla, cinn and\or nutmeg, and orange zest.

False

I like to add cinnamon to pancakes, then serve with applesauce and a little brown sugar instead of syrup.

Peanut butter chips

chopped pecans and maple extract (my favorite).

False

I add chopped walnuts and a 1/2 tsp maple flavoring.

False
    You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln