iso recipe for bunny mold cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

iso recipe for bunny mold cake

Last post Apr 23, 2011 1:45 PM by rccola . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • iso recipe for bunny mold cake

My mom had a bunny and lamb cake pan that are alum. and they are in 2 pcs.  The idea was you make the two halves of the cake and then frost them together to make a bunny or lamb that sits up straight.  My question is how many cake mixes does each pan take?  One or two?  These pans are from the 70's probably and the recipe is long gone.

Thanks,

Suzy

False
  • Re: iso recipe for bunny mold cake

I too have my mom's lamb cake mold....2 pieces.  I make a box pound cake mix...pour it into the FRONT of the mold, tie the 2 pieces together with string & lay it on a cookie sheet & bake it.  I bake it a bit longer then the instructions call for-try an extra 10 min.  The cake rises into the 2nd half.  I whisk together equal amounts of solid shortening, oil & flour & grease the pan with that mixture....definitely helps getting it out of the pan with all the details.  As far as baking them separately & then putting the 2 sides together w/frosting....it seems like the cake would rise above the pan & you'd have a fairly wide-body bunny or lamb?  The mixes have gotten a bit smaller over the years but I still usually have a bit of batter than leaks out on to the cookie sheet.  I tie the neck together & also the body so it stays together. 

False

Thanks Lynn!  Do you think a regular cake mix will work instead of pound cake?

False

I'm not sure about a regular mix....I've always used either Dromedary or another brand.  Since a pound cake recipe makes 1 loaf & the regular cake mix can be made in either a 9x13 or 2 layers, I would think the regular mix might overflow quite a bit?  Perhaps you have a different mold than I have?  My lamb cake is aluminum & has a 'lip' so that the 2 sides fit together....perhaps yours is larger & meant to be baked in 2 sections?  I'm a better pie baker than I am a cake baker/decorator.  Once my lamb is out of the mold, I just dust it with confectioner's sugar & set it up on a platter...if I'm in my Martha-Stewart mode....I'll add some Easter grass around it & add some jelly beans too+plus tie a ribbon around it's neck.  One year I poured the batter into the back half of the mold & had a faceless lamb :-(

False

Pound cake batter holds up better when making a 'stand-up' shaped cake.  Boxed mixes can bake up too fluffy & the cake may break at the neck area.

Cali

False

I have an old lamb cake mold in 2 pieces and I use one pound cake mix and put half in each side.  I have used several different mixes and they have all turned out well.  Try to get enough batter in the head and ears so they fill out and I put a toothpick in the ears  to strengthen them.  I sometimes have to trim the body so it will not be too "chubby".  I usually make the cakes a few days ahead of time and freeze them so they will be easier to handle.  I take them out of the molds and carefully wrap them in waxed paper before I put them in my freezer.  I take them out of the freezer an hour or so before i frost them. I  had no instructions but they have always turned out well for me- I frost them with a butter frosting and sprinkle coconut all over them - makes a pretty lamb.

False

just found this recipe in my German recipes it's an email I receive. It's probably too late for you but maybe next year and if I ever find my own mold I may just give it a try too. I always used the Dromedary Pound Cake mix.

Carol

German Easter Bunny Cake
    (OsterKuchen)

The Easter holiday in many families includes a grand breakfast with many extras on the table like fresh flowers, gifts and candy and even cake in the shape of a lamb or rabbit.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup milk
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp salt
    3 eggs

Frosting:

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
    a pinch of salt
    1 tbsp milk
    2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 tsp vanilla

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour the cake pans (rub bottom of pan with butter or shortening, then sprinkle flour in the pan; tap the pan until flour spreads and covers the bottom). Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into the electric mixer bowl. Add the shortening, milk, vanilla, and eggs. Mix on low speed for one minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then turn mixer to high speed. Beat for 3 minutes. Pour into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the cake center comes out clean (not sticky!). Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn cake layers onto a wire rack (you might need help with this step).

Make frosting:

Place the cream cheese, milk, vanilla, and salt in the electric mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium to high speed until the frosting is smooth and will spread easily. If necessary, add more milk. Cut the cooled cake and arrange as shown in the drawing. One layer is left intact, and the other is cut to form the bunny's ears and bow tie. Spread the frosting between the head, ear, and bow tie pieces, then over top and sides. Add jelly beans for the bunny's eyes, strips of licorice for whiskers. You could also cover the rabbit with coconut for a very special Easter dessert!

False