TRISHA YEARWOOD-New Cookbook -Recipes Tested on The View- | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

TRISHA YEARWOOD-New Cookbook -Recipes Tested on The View-

Last post Oct 16, 2012 9:22 AM by Appy_Girl . 44 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123
  • TRISHA YEARWOOD-New Cookbook -Recipes Tested on The View-

Trisha has a New book - Home Cooking .

The Ladies on the View seemed to enjoy these Bigtime- Whoppee  and Joy could not keep out of the Hot Corn Dip Sherri loved the "Crack" and the Pork Tenderloin among other things was Raved about.~A

Hot Corn Dip

"I made this dip recently for

a 'Girls’ Night In.' Every now and then

a group of my girlfriends and I get

together and watch our favorite

television show, or watch

chick flicks -- insert your favorite

movie here. My favorite tearjerker

chick flicks are Steel Magnolias,

Return to Me, and Message in a Bottle.

We keep this dip warming in

a slow cooker and snack on

it all evening. Corn chips make

this dip divine!" ~Trisha

HOT CORN DIP

Serves 12

2 11-ounce cans Mexican corn, drained
    2 4½-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained
    2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
    ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise
    Corn chips, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 × 13 × 2-inch casserole dish.
    In a medium bowl, mix the corn, chiles, cheeses, and mayonnaise until fully combined. Spread the mixture in the prepared casse¬role dish and bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges. Serve the dip warm from the oven with corn chips.

Baked Spaghetti

"This dish meets all the requirements for the perfect potluck take-along. It’s a crowd pleaser, it’s big enough to feed a crowd -- and it’s easy to transport. Beth takes this to church suppers, but I just make it for Garth and the girls. We never have any leftovers!" Serves 12

6 slices bacon
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped bell pepper
    3 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with liquid
    1 2.25-ounce can sliced ripe black olives, drained
    1–2 tablespoons dried oregano, according to taste
    1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
    12 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese (5 ounces)
    1 10-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
    ¼ cup water
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 × 13 × 2-inch baking dish.
    In a large skillet, cook the bacon until slightly crisp, then cut it into smaller pieces. Remove the bacon and sauté the garlic, onion, and bell pepper in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the tomatoes, olives, oregano, bacon, and the cooked beef. Simmer this mixture, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Place half of the spaghetti in the prepared pan. Top the spaghetti with half of the vegetable-beef mixture. Sprinkle this layer with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat the layers. Mix the canned soup and water until smooth, and pour over the casserole. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.

From Beth: This entrée is also good if you substitute mozzarella cheese for the cheddar.

Sweet Tea

"This was the first thing I remember making at home as a child. Sweet tea is the staple of every good Southern meal. I like it warm, right after it’s made, but most people love it cold and over ice. I had been making this tea for many years before I realized I was making it wrong. My sister was watching me make it one day and said, 'Whoa! You’re putting way too much sugar in that!' I guess the original Yearwood recipe calls for ¾ cup sugar. Too late to turn back now! This really should be called Sweet Sweet Tea."

Makes 1 gallon.

4 large, family-size tea bags
    16 cups water
    1½ cups sugar

Fill a teakettle or saucepan with enough water to completely cover the tea bags, about 2 cups. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Let the tea stand for 10 minutes. Put the sugar into a gallon pitcher and add 1 cup of cold water. Stir to mix slightly. Pour the hot tea into the sugar mixture and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the remaining 13 cups of cold water to fill the pitcher.

If using a glass pitcher, mix the sugar with 1 cup cold water before adding the hot tea to prevent the pitcher from cracking.

Pork Medallions

"The combination of ginger and orange makes this a tasty recipe. The little medallions, garnished with orange slices, are pretty too. The tenderloin cooks quickly. The only thing you have to remember is that you need to marinate the pork the night before you want to serve it." Serves 8

½ cup teriyaki marinade
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    ¼ cup ginger sauce
    ¼ cup orange juice
    2 pork tenderloins, about 1 pound each
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
    ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
    ¼ cup V8 juice
    ¼ cup honey
    ¼ cup orange marmalade
    2 oranges

Mix the teriyaki marinade, vinegar, garlic, ginger sauce, and orange juice. Pour this mixture over the tenderloins in a roasting pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet. Remove the tenderloins from the marinade and put them, along with the chopped onion, in the hot oil. Sear the meat on all sides. Return the pork and onion to the marinade in the roasting pan. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes.

Mix the teriyaki sauce, V8 juice, honey, and orange marmalade. When 20 minutes are up, remove the pork from the oven, remove the foil, and with a very sharp knife cut deep slits into the meat. Pour the honey sauce into these slits and over the meat. Slice the unpeeled oranges into ¼-inch crosswise pieces and arrange on the top and sides of the tenderloins. Return the meat to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until the orange slices begin to curl. Remove the meat from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into medallions. Transfer to a platter to serve.

Asparagus Bundles-

(These got Raves)

"I went through my entire childhood thinking I hated asparagus. I remember telling my mom I didn’t like it, and I remember her asking, 'Have you ever even tried it?' I can feel heads nodding right now. Of course I never tried it! It was green. I was a kid. Need I say more? I was over 30 years old before I finally tried asparagus. I’m making up for lost time now. I love it any way that it’s prepared. These bundles make it look almost too pretty to eat."  Serves 6

2 pounds fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
    12 slices bacon
    ½ cup light brown sugar
    ½ cup (1 stick) butter
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    ½ teaspoon garlic salt
    ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Divide the asparagus spears into 12 bundles. Carefully wrap 1 piece of bacon around each bundle, starting about ½ inch from the bottom of the tips. Secure the bacon-wrapped spears with a toothpick. Lay the bundles in a low-sided casserole dish. In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Pour the hot sugar mixture over the asparagus bundles. Transfer the dish to the oven and roast for 25 minutes, or until the spears have begun to wilt and the bacon looks fully cooked. Remove the toothpicks before serving.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• Re: TRISHA YEARWOOD-New Cookbook -Recipes Tested on The View-

Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood: Desserts

Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood

Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood: Desserts

Next came Desserts and Poor Trisha barely got to say anything about the food as the ladies kept interupting and eating.Wink ~A

After country music star Trisha Yearwood gave the co-hosts a taste of her savory treats, she had some sweet ones to share from her new cookbook Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood. Here are a few of the recipes the ladies tested:

Cold-Oven Pound Cake
    "My dad’s aunt Marie had eight children to rear during the Great Depression. Starting a cake in a cold oven was just one way to save on fuel at a time when every penny counted. Times have changed, but I like to make this cake the way Great-Aunt Marie did, and try to imagine what it must have been like to be a mother to eight children. Maybe I’ll just preheat the oven!" Serves 15

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
    3 cups sugar
    6 large eggs, room temperature
    3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Do not preheat the oven. Grease and flour the bottom, sides, and tube of a 9-inch tube cake pan. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition, but do not overbeat. Set the mixer on slow speed and stir in the flour and cream alter¬nately, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the vanilla and stir well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and put the cake in a cold oven. Set the oven temperature to 325°F. Begin timing now and bake the cake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. The toothpick should be clean when it is removed. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to continue cooling.

Sweet and Saltines
    "After a meal, my mama will always say, 'I need a little something sweet.' If she has dessert, she will inevitably follow it up with, 'Now I need a little something salty.' It’s become a joke at our house. These crackers are so good, you will just keep eating them -- and Mama has her sweet and salty thing covered. Beware ... they’re really addictive." Serves 20

40 saltine crackers
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter
    1 cup light brown sugar
    8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1¹⁄3 cups)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large jellyroll pan with alumi¬num foil and the saltine crackers.
    In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly. Put the jellyroll pan into the oven and watch closely. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly. Remove from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife. Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Substitute graham crackers for the saltines for a sweeter snack. Use 1 stick of butter instead of 2 for a crunchier, saltier cracker.

From Gwen: Use anywhere from 35 to 45 saltine crackers, depending on the size of your pan.

From Beth: I used milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet once because that’s what I had on hand. They tasted great, too.

Key Lime Cake
    "We had a big birthday party for my daddy when he turned 70. He was a pretty humble guy and was embarrassed that so much attention was being focused on him, but he ultimately loved visiting with all of his friends, some he hadn’t seen in a long time. Over two hundred friends and family signed the guest book that night; that’s a testament to the man. I think of him when I make this cake because we served it that night. I miss my daddy, but there are always things to remind me of how much fun we had as a family." Serves 12

Cake
    1 3-ounce package lime-flavored gelatin
    1¹⁄3 cups granulated sugar
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    5 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1½ cups vegetable oil
    ¾ cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ cup Key lime juice (from about 25 small Key limes or 4 large regular limes)
    ½ cup confectioners’ sugar

Cream Cheese Icing
    ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
    1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
    1 1-pound box confectioners’ sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick.

Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks.

While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confection¬ers’ sugar
    and pour it over the layers on the racks. You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.

Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread. Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake. The cream cheese icing is optional. This cake is beautiful and tastes great with just the glaze poured over it. Key limes can be hard to find. Substitute regular lime juice for key lime juice without sacrificing flavor.

From Beth: This is a very moist cake. It can also be baked in a 9 x 12 x 2-inch pan to be easily served in squares.

From Gwen: This recipe comes from family friend Angela Spivey. She uses whichever variety of lime is available in the local grocery.

1 3-ounce package lime-flavored gelatin
    1¹⁄3 cups granulated sugar
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    5 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1½ cups vegetable oil
    ¾ cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ cup Key lime juice (from about 25 small Key limes or 4 large regular limes)
    ½ cup confectioners’ sugar

Cream Cheese Icing
    ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
    1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
    1 1-pound box confectioners’ sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick.

Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks.

While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confection¬ers’ sugar
    and pour it over the layers on the racks. You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.

False

Wow ~  I want to make All Of them ~  Thanks  so much Alliea,  This is one fantastic thread ~  Saving ~  Janie  and btw  gm Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Thanks for posting these. They all sound good. Paulette had posted the asparagus bundles on my GN thread last night and I snagged it up quick. LOL. I've copied the rest of these too. Thanks again. BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

Thanks Alliea!  I'll have to give these a copy and keep checking the library to see if they get this book in so I can borrow it...if I don't see it there soon, I'll put a request in.

It all looks so good!

Carol

False

wow ~  You have added more ~  The asparagus bundles  sound  very good !~  I too have made them except that I  used green string beans and I don't make the sauce ~  Just wrap and bake  ~  Now I am curious about the sauce ~  Good you say BJ ~  I'll give it a shot ~ 

I made them as appetizers ~  Thanks  again ~  Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

The View ladies kept asking about that sauce stating how good it was. I can't wait to make the Corn Dip. Whoppee and Joy sold me on that one.

Off to work have a great day everyone. BBL ~A

False

Going to try the corn dip first ~  Janie ~  Yes

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

For those that are just joining us ~  Janie 

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

When she does volume 2 she can add recipes from The Pioneer Woman. Ree Drummond will be on The View Friday April 9th.

False

_FOOTSIE
    Ree Drummond will be on The View Friday April 9th.

Thank you.

I will tape the show that day.~A

False

Coffee~J

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these!! I was hoping someone would!!

False

Lots  of goodies here ~  Janie   Got the Mexicorn  corn todday ~  Yes

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

was wondering regarding the sweet tea is that tricias original, from the book recipe, because of the sugar thing and if not what is & also what are the best brand of tea bags to use for the sweet tea. thanks!

False