How do I cook knockwurst? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I cook knockwurst?

Last post Mar 30, 2013 3:37 PM by Geovander . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How do I cook knockwurst?
    I bought some knockwurst cause it was on sale over the 4th. If I just want to serve it on a bun or as a side to macaroni and cheese or something similar whats the best way to cook it?

There are only a couple recipes in search and they use already cooked knockwurst...I'm sure there are some cooking instructions on the package but I want the method that gives it the best flavor.

Thanks for your help!!!

Frankie
    False
  • RE: How do I cook knockwurst?
    Bump for help
    False

I would poke some holes in it with a fork ('cause it's quite fatty) and boil it, along with potatoes, carrots and cabbage (like a boiled dinner) and put yellow mustard on it to eat...delicious. I also think it would be good grilled, but have never done it that way.
    False
    Knockwurst are delicious just boiled and served with baked beans. Pat
    False
    Thanks for your help. The package is in the freezer but I will use it soon now that I have some ideas on how to prepare it!!!

Frankie
    False
  • Re: How do I cook knockwurst?

Knackwurst, more often called knockwurst, is a medium-sized sausage from the Holstein region of Germany. They often contain ground veal, ground pork, and fresh garlic stuffed into hog casings. They are easy to cook and should, if being served in the traditional German manner, be paired with sauerkraut.

Preparing the Knackwurst

Step 1

In the pan, heat olive oil over a medium flame for approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup onion, which should markedly sizzle upon contact with the oil. Set the remaining onion aside for later use. Cook the onion for 1 minute

Step 2

Add knackwurst whole and reduce the heat. Cook the knackwurst until the casing is golden brown on both sides. This should take approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Turn the sausages midway through the cooking time to ensure even browning on both sides.

Step 3

After cooking the knackwurst, remove them from the heat and set aside for use later. It is helpful to place the sausages on a plate with a paper towel so that the excess oil can drain off.

Traditional Preparation and Service

Step 1

In the large pot, add a dash of olive oil and brown the remaining onion over medium heat. When the onion is brown, add the beer and cook for 5 minutes.

Step 2

Add the water, molasses, caraway and mustard and bring to a gentle boil.

Step 3

Add the knackwurst and sauerkraut. Cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes.

Step 4

Serve hot by dishing first a generous heap of sauerkraut onto a plate and topping with one knackwurst sausage.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/431110-how-to-cook-knackwurst/#ixzz2P3MeubxD

False