Spinach Powder..... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Spinach Powder.....

Last post May 04, 2010 4:38 PM by chefly . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Spinach Powder.....

Just ordered spinach powder and I have no idea what to do with it.

Any ideas?  Can I make dips?

Thank you all so much.

False
  • Re: Spinach Powder.....

Make dips, yes but you can also makecreamed spinach and serve as a veggie for dinner.

I bought 2 lbs of dried spinach (flakes) and have made creamed spinach and it was very good. Dehydrated veggies don't take up much storage room, I  de-hydrate squash, broccoli,carrots, green beans, peas,even thin sliced potatoes, apples and bananas.

You can also buy tomato powder, it comes in very handy for sauces, gravy, soups and such.

False

Oh, thank you so very much.

I am so excited!  I will have to try tomato powder too!

False
    where did you get it from?
    False

I bought my dehydrated Spinach Flakes from San Francisco Herb Company.

For other dehydrated bulk vegetables, fruits and tomato powder check out:

waltonfeed.com 

this company is a supplier of Mormon survival foods. Even if you don't buy anything, their webiste is very interesting and informative. The company is located in a very small town in the mountains of s.e. Idaho .

You can also Google either dehydrated spinach or tomato powder and find a supplier closer to where you live. Healthfood stores or better yet, healthfood co-opsusually carry tomato powder or can get it for you. I like the convenience of it.

False

My Italian market sells it and tomato powder and several others. I've always wanted to buy some but haven't yet. I did some research and found some recipes to use it in so I'm ready when I do actually buy a bag. Of course you can make pasta with it but here are other uses.

Please PM me if you try any recipes you like with it.

chefly

Creamy Spinach Soup Make a thin white sauce (if you need a recipe let me know) add 3-4 tablespoons of spinach flour and stir Stir well, then let set 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes reheat and eat OR 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter 1 teaspoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (can be purchased whole at herb shop or any good grocery store) 2 chicken bouillon cubes 1 1/2 cups milk 1/2 cups half and half 1/4 cup dried powdered spinach Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion powder, nutmeg and bouillon cubes. Crush and dissolve bouillon cubes adding a little milk if necessary. Add remaining milk and half and half. Heat to 185 degrees (just below boiling). Place spinach power in bowl or blender. Pour hot milk mixture over spinach. Blend well. Serve at once. Yield: 3 small cups of soup as an appetizer or 1 large bowl (2 cups) as a main entree.

=============================================== Spinach Squares 4 tbsp. butter 3 eggs 1 c. flour 1 1/2 cups milk 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking powder 1 lb. grated cheddar 1/4 cup spinach flour 1 tbsp. chopped onion Seasoned salt (opt.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 9 x 13 inch baking dish in oven. Remove dish. Beat eggs then add flour, milk, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Add cheese, spinach flour, onion and mix well. Spoon into dish and level off. Sprinkle with seasoned salt if desired. Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and cut into squares.

================================================ Spinach Feta Bread

3/4 cup spinach flour -- 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast -- 3 cups bread flour -- 1/3 cup wheat bran -- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar -- 1/2 tablespoon salt -- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg -- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- 3 tablespoons oil -- 2 eggs -- 1/3 cup feta cheese -- 1/2 cup water Bring all ingredients to room temperature and add to machine. Select white bread cycle.

---------------------------- Spinach Casserole 1 pint cottage cheese 4 eggs, beaten 3 tablespoons flour 1/4 lb. cheddar cheese cubed 1/2 cup spinach flour 3 - 4 tablespoons of butter dash of salt Mix together cottage cheese, eggs and flour. Add cheese. Cut butter into pieces and combined with mixture. Add salt. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

--------------------------------------- ----- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche 2 medium onions, white or yellow, chopped 1/2-1" size 8 ounces mushrooms washed ond sliced 1/2 to 2/3 cup spinach flour 2 or more cloves garlic, minced 3 or 4 eggs beaten with about 1/2 cup milk 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese 1 nine-inch deep dish pie crust 1-2 tbs butter Herb for garnish and flavor, such as Rosemary, Summer Savory, Marjoram Salt and pepper to taste

Bake at 350 F for one hour or until no longer juicy inside. Melt the butter over medium heat, saute onions and add garlic in a skillet. When onions are translucent add the mushrooms and cook out the juice. Then add the spinach flour and extra milk if needed and mix together. Add your salt and pepper. Place the pie crust on a cookie sheet or something similar. Transfer vegetable mixture to the pie crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top, then sprinkle on the cheddar cheese. Separately gently beat the eggs adding the milk. Salt and pepper can be added to the eggs, add the herb 1/2 tsp. Slowly pour the egg mixture over the cheese and veggies. Sometimes its too full so don't use all the egg. Clean any spilled egg off the cookie sheet and put the quiche back on the pan, sprinkle with additional herbs. Place pan in the lower part of the oven for the first 30 minutes and then transfer to the upper half to finish baking.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----- SOLAR VEGETABLE SOUP which serves about 6 3 medium chopped tomatoes 1 chopped red onion 1 chopped leek 1 chopped celery stalk 2 small chopped zucchini or other squash 1/3 cup spinach flour 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour basil to taste which is optional dill to taste which is optional, but good Combine vegetables in a bowl. Mix in water, basil and dill. Pour into your dutch oven and leave in the sun 4 to 6 hours before serving.

False

I ordered from www.myspicesage.com

I tried to order some things I have never tried before, spinach powder, hickory smoked sea salt, cheddar cheese powder, applewood smoked sea salt, hawaiin sea salt, sesame sesoning.

I am excited to get started experimenting!

False

Thanks, Chefly.

I certainly will let you know if I try any of these recipes.

False

Thank you!

My brother sent some applewood and Hickory bacon smoked sea salt and we like it. Have fun experimenting. I love trying new things! I bet you could also put a little spinach powder into fruit smoothies for green food smoothies. I make green smoothies all the time and if you put a lot of fruit you don't even know you are drinking vegetables too.

I order from Honeyvillegrain.com quite a bit and love their dried corn. We eat it like chips, straight from the can. It is so unbelievably sweet, yet crunchy but not rock hard.

chefly

False

Mercy sakes, I feel as if a whole new world is opening up before me!

I have got to try the dried corn, that sounds great.  I have a very finnicky 6 year old, who may like that.  I will also have to sneak some spinach powder into his smoothies!

Thank you so much.  

False

I am constantly amazed at what is out there to try. I first tried the dried corn at a spice shop in Milwaukee, WI and loved it. I took a chance on this brand but the reviews were so good I wasn't too worried. It is just as good as the corn fromMilwaukee and as good as the reviews state.

Food is my playground! Lol!

Have fun.

chefly

False

Since I live in the Himnterlands of sw North Dakota the nearest healthfood store in 150 mi away (one way)  I am forced  to do mosty mail order nusiness when I want something that is not a daily ordinary thing in farm country. The nearest Italian market is in Minneapolis/Minnesota,about 600 mi away and to the west it would be Seattle. The website of the San Francisco Herb co I have bought from for some years is  www.SFHerb.com.

There is another company by the name San Francisco Hern and Natural Food company but have not really looked at tgeir site too much.

I have bought a lot of emergency storgage food from waltonfeed.com, incl 50 lbs of powdered milk, even with shipping from Idaho to ND it is cheaper than what it costs  per lbs n the stores.

If you are into organic healthfood, the company we buy from through our buying club  has expanded their delivery routes to selected places in the following states: Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, OKlahoma,Minnesota, Iowa,Missouri and Arkansas.

It pays to belong to a buying club or co-op.

Thanks a lot for the recipes, Chefly, I will have to try the casserole.

False

Grelo,

I hope you like the casserole. I was at the Italian market today to buy some artichoke hearts and noticed they also have artichoke powder, roasted chestnut powder and garbanzo bean flour (but that isn't unusual) in addition to the spinach powder. I wish I had a lot of extra money. I'd love to go on a shopping spree there!

chefly

False