What would you serve with with beef kabobs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What would you serve with with beef kabobs?

Last post Jun 20, 2010 9:32 AM by CardinalPuff . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What would you serve with with beef kabobs?

I've decided to have one of my husband's favorites for Father's Day - Beef Kabobs with tomato, mushroom, onions and peppers on the skewers. It's been years since I have made this and I am having a brain malfunction because I don't know what I'm going to serve with it. My daughter is making a tossed salad. Anbody have any good ideas?

Josie

False
  • Re: What would you serve with with beef kabobs?

Hi Josie;

I would think a rice or pasta side dish would sound good with those yummy kabobs.Here's a good pasta dish that's fairly easy to throw together:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Summertime-Pasta-Salad

And here is the search results for the contest-winning rice sides, maybe something like this would be good with kabobs. Those sound delicious by the way! 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearch/FacetSearchResults.aspx?search=rice+side+dishes&st=2&vw=1&page=1&rs=30&sort=3

False

Hi,

This was a hit on the BB and I make it all the time.  Goes great with beef kabobs.

Deb

I made this tonight to go with pork chops.................all I have to say is WOW!  

I did have to make some adjustments to the recipe since I didn't have a couple of the components.  I read Angie/bablyblu927's review last night saying 1 Tbsp. pepper is WAY too much so I only added 1 tsp........PERFECT for us-you adjust to your taste.  Also, I didn't have Mascarpone cheese in the house but did have some soft cream cheese so in that went-equal amount-and I omitted the cream all together-I didn't have that either but I don't think it needed it.  

This dish is creamy and elegant with SO many levels of flavor....from the parmesan, to the lemon, to the chives, to the cream cheese (that was supposed to be Mascarpone), to the texture of the pasta with a hint of the chicken stock...OH MY GOODNESS...it all comes together into one incredible taste sensation.  What an AMAZING side dish this is-and it's SO easy!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this recipe Rosie-it's gone straight to the top of my side dish favorites.......Bob is STILL talking about how good it is.

Folks, give it a try...you won't be sorry!

Carol

LEMON PEPPER ORZO
    (Source: Big Daddy from Food Network)

2 1/2 c. chicken stock (I used low sodium, fat-free chicken broth)
    1 c. orzo
    2 lemons, juiced
    1/4 c. cream (I omitted)
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan (I used about 1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese)
    2 Tbsp. Mascarpone cheese (I used 2 Tbsp. soft cream cheese)
    2 Tbsp. butter
    2 Tbsp. fresh chives
    1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper (per Angie's review, I cut the pepper down to about 1 tsp.)
    1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest

In a medium saute pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 7-8 minutes until liquid is almost absorbed and orzo is tender. Turn heat off.

Stir in the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve. Makes 4 servings.

False

Hi Josie;

I was going to suggest something like Rice Pilaf.........but come to think of it......I really like Deb's idea better!  That Lemon Pepper Orzo is SO fabulous............and it would go great with your kabobs.

Deb-think we're gonna turn into this stuff?  I don't care-I'm gonna eat it anyway-YUM!!!

Carol

False

Oh, my, that orzo sounds fabulous! Just what I'm looking for...something a bit different. Thank you all so much!! I'm posting my kabob recipe if anyone is interested. It is really a good one. Everyone used to rave over this recipe when I made it frequently. But, like I said, it's been a while and I don't know why. Isn't it amazing how we cycle through our recipes?

Beef Kabobs

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

4 Tablespoons sugar

1 cup ketchup

½ cup apple cider vinegar

½ cup vegetable oil

2 Tablespoons mustard

½ teas. Salt

2 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce

3 lbs sirloin, cut in 1 inch cubes

Green pepper

Cherry tomatoes

Onion

Mushrooms

In saucepan, combine first 8 ingredients and 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Cool and add meat, toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, drain and reserve marinade.

Thread meat and veggies on skewers. Broil over medium coals 20 - 25 minutes, turning once and brushing with marinade 2 or 3 times. Serves approx. 6.

False

This salad would be nice or a nice rice pilaf.

GREEK PASTA SALAD

I used to make this in a deli I was part owner of. It sold like crazy. The main difference in the one I make is I use dill and make my own dressing. Most recipes call for Italian dressing. I make a version of Greek dressing. Hope you enjoy it

function SetFocusOnLogin() { var SetTop = document.getElementById("ctl00_ctl00_ctl01_ctlSearchHeader_ctl00_txtSearchPhrase"); SetTop.focus(); var SetTop1 = document.getElementById("ctl00_ctl00_MainContent_MainContent_RecipeUtility1_recipeLogin_txtUser"); SetTop1.focus(); }

1 green pepper diced
    • 8 oz. olives. I like calamata but black olives
    • will work.
    • 1 tomato diced
    • 1/2 red onion diced
    • 1/2 bunch dill chopped fine
    • 1/2 lb or more feta cheese
    • DRESSING
    • I find the best oil/vinegar ratio is 3:1.
    • 3/4 cup good virgin olive oil
    • 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp pepper
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or a little more if you like garlic
    • 2 tsp. sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
    • 1 Cucumber peeled and dice
    • 1 lb. pasta, like Rotini

Directions

• Cook pasta the way you normally do. Cool down by running cold water over it in a colinder. Put pasta in a real big bowl. Dice vegetables up and add to bowl. Finely chop dill and add to bowl. Crumble feta cheese and add to bowl.
    • Add all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Try to emulsify it. That way it won't separate. Pour into bowl and toss very well to mix everything and to coat pasta. Yield: serves 15

Notes: 

You can adjust the dressing any way you like. I like a lot of garlic. You can pit the calamata olives if you want.

You can also try the Kabobs the Greek way.

SOUVLAKIA

Ingredients

• Lamb beef or pork
    • 1 C olive oil
    • 1/3 C lemon juice
    • ½ C red wine
    • Salt and pepper
    • Oregano
    • 1-4 cloves garlic
    • 1-3 bay leaves
    • Tomatoes quartered
    • Onions quartered
    • Green peppers cubed

Directions

• Cut meat into 1 inch cubes.
    • Mix oil, lemon and wine and pour over meat
    • Sprinkle with salt and pepper, oregano and garlic. Add bay leaves and then add vegetables. Marinate overnight. Put on skewers and cook on grill or the oven. 

Notes: 

I find a ziplock bag is the best for marinating. Throw everything in the bag and put on a plate in the refrigerator. Turn a couple of times if possible. Serve over rice pilaf or on pita.
    • Here is a great sauce for the souvlakia:
    • Yogurt Dip Tzaziki sauce
    • 1 clove garlic
    • 1 tsp. chopped fresh dill
    • 1tsp. olive oil
    • 1 C yogurt
    • Salt and pepper
    • Diced cucumber
    • Dash vinegar (optional)
    • Mash garlic and dill in the olive oil. Add vinegar to yogurt. Add rest of ingredients and chill.
    • You can make this like a gyro. Put meat in the pita bread, add shredded lettuce, tomato and thin sliced onion. Put some tzaziki sauce on and eat up. You will love this.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

The orzo sounds great and I have all the ingredients (well I would have to use cream cheese) so I might give it a try tomorrow.

I think with the veggies on the kabobs, the tossed salad, and the orzo, you are good to go. I would add some cold watermelon for dessert. Yummy sounding meal.

False

Josie your beef kabob recipe sounds good and it's different from mine, I will have to try it.  The great part about the Orzo is it is easy, only 8 minutes and your done.  If you have the fresh chives and lemon go there that is what really makes it good.  Ohhh  and Carol and I found out that you have to make it in a medium fry/saute pan or the liquid doesn't reduce correctly.  Saucepan and you have soup.  Sometimes we learn things the hard way.  LOL!!  I have never used the cream Avid, only the cream cheese, it is plenty rich and creamy. Yum!!

DebStick out tongue

False

carol1229
    Deb-think we're gonna turn into this stuff?  I don't care-I'm gonna eat it anyway-YUM!!!

I think we are gonna turn into orzo...my son requests this twice a week so far. LOL!!!!

Deb

False

I don't blame him ONE BIT Deb-this stuff ROCKS!  And for sure the skillet works SO much better than that saucepan......sheesh...........guess my brain said saucepan when it saw pasta.....goes to show I should have followed the directions!  Oh well-it tastes wonderful no matter WHAT pan it's in-but the skillet makes it SO much easier.

OK-now I'm craving orzo!!!  :)

Carol

False

Just had this with our kebabs a couple of weekends ago.

Mary's Rice Pilaf:

1 cup sliced celery

1/3 cup chopped onion

1 medium green pepper, chopped

2 tbsp. olive oil

3 cups cooked rice or 2 cups cooked rice plus 1 cup cooked orzo pasta

1 - 4 ounce can mushrooms with liquid

1 small jar pimiento with liquid

½ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. marjoram

1 tsp. rosemary

½ cup slivered almonds

Sauté celery, onions and green pepper in oil until tender crisp.  Add rest of ingredients and heat through.   Add almonds just before serving.

False

Looks yummy, another one for the try pile.

Deb

False

Josie, thanks for posting your kabob recipe.  I haven't made them in years either and I'm not sure why.  

The lemon pepper orzo sounds perfect.  Easy, creamy and special.  Thanks, Deb and Carol!

Sure glad I peeked in on this thread. I've copied both recipes. Let us know how it turned out.

Suziee

False

lattedeb
    LEMON PEPPER ORZO
    (Source: Big Daddy from Food Network)

2 1/2 c. chicken stock (I used low sodium, fat-free chicken broth)
    1 c. orzo
    2 lemons, juiced
    1/4 c. cream (I omitted)
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan (I used about 1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese)
    2 Tbsp. Mascarpone cheese (I used 2 Tbsp. soft cream cheese)
    2 Tbsp. butter
    2 Tbsp. fresh chives
    1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper (per Angie's review, I cut the pepper down to about 1 tsp.)
    1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest

In a medium saute pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 7-8 minutes until liquid is almost absorbed and orzo is tender. Turn heat off.

Stir in the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve. Makes 4 servings.

This does sound good!!!! I have never eaten orzo, but I am going to try this as soon as I can buy some...Thank you for the recipe!!!

False