???Ice cream dasher turning ice cream gray! How can i fix this??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

???Ice cream dasher turning ice cream gray! How can i fix this???

Last post Jul 26, 2010 12:23 PM by jasper3975 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • ???Ice cream dasher turning ice cream gray! How can i fix this???

We have a White Mountain hand crank ice cream freezer that is about 1 year old. Every time we use it, it leaves a gray residue in the ice cream and when i try to remove the dasher, my fingers are black from something coming off the top of the cast iron center. Was i supposed to "treat" the cast iron before using it? I've tried to locate the White Mountain site to ask them, but i've had no luck. Has anyone else had this happening to them? If you know a solution, please let me know as it has ruined several batches of ice cream....THANKS!  G/D

False
  • Re: ???Ice cream dasher turning ice cream gray! How can i fix this???

Heres a link for White Mountain hand crank freezer ice cream, the

handcrankicecreammaker.net 

Want to comment or make a suggestion about our website. Feel free to drop us an email at admin ( at ) handcrankicecreammaker.net

False

The above wasn't the home website for the manufacturers of the freezer, but they did reply and had no clue as to why this was happening....they said others had asked the same question. If anyone knows how to find the makers of  the White Mountain freezers, i would appreciate knowing...I can't believe there is nothing out there on how to prevent a problem that is happening to others also....weird!
    False

1-800-343-0065  I called the other about getting a crank handle for anever used freezer that is 40 years old that was given to me.  They no longer make handles for freezer that old.

False

http://www.brm-icecream.com/parts.htm

Some of the nylon coating wore off on my  KA flat mixer paddle. The exposed metal turned potatoes gray.I would call the company . Sounds like a similar issue to this one. Certain foods coming in contact with some metals (aluminum is one) can turn gray .

(From a Site)

Kitchenaid mixer paddle is staining food

<>wrote:
    Does anyone elses kitchenaid mixer paddle leave gray stains on the
    food? It's particularly obvious on cheesecake, with gray swirly
    markings on the finished product. Have seen when mixing cornbread also.

Any ideas?

Are they cast aluminum? All the attachments for my Kitchenaid (except
    the whisk) are made of steel coated with some kind of tough plastic --
    almost like enamel but tougher and not as hard. I bought it almost 20
    years ago. What you are describing sounds like aluminum.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I called the 1-800 number above and did reach the White Mountain people. They have never had a call about this problem before they said. They are sending me a new dasher. They can be contacted at whitemountainproducts.com also if you need them. Thanks for the help!  D

False

Was it ever put in the dishwasher? One of my girlfriends put her metal KA beater in the dishwasher and the soap seemed to eat away at the coating on it, and everytime she used it afterwards it would turn her buttercream icing gray. 

False