Bariatric recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bariatric recipes

Last post Jul 13, 2004 7:50 PM by rccola . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Bariatric recipes
    Hello, I am new to this board, I'm Suz2. I am currently jumping through hoops to have bariatric surgery(weight loss surgery) approved by my insurance co. There are a lot of us out here and after surgery there is a "diet" of sorts that will last the rest of your life. Most post ops cannot eat sugar at all.Bread, rice, noodles, etc. are not tolerated well although some people can eat them again after some months or years from surgery. It's so hard to get enough protein that most post ops use protein powder that tastes awful in order to get their daily intake of protein. Meat is difficult, unless it's very moist or has something to moisten it with. So, no sugar, no (or low) carbohydrate, high protein, moist meats. Anyone got recipes that pass that criteria ? Suz2
    False
  • RE: Bariatric recipes
    To supplement your protein intake, eat baby food meats. I use to make sandwiches for my pre school daughters using the meats as a spread. You can always jazz up the bland taste with condiments. And the meat is such smooth consistency you can blend it in soups or other foods.
    False
    Forgot to say Hey! and Welcome! Please keep posting, I am very interested in your diet plan.
    False
    Welcome!!
    I am also on low carb,trying Atkins.
    Low Carb Chix Thighs
    6 chix thighs--0
    1 Tbsp olive oil---0
    1 tsp. minced garlic--1.8
    1/4 c sliced mushrooms--1
    1/2 small green pepper (sliced)--3
    1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes--10
    1/2 pkt Goya chix bouillion--3
    1/2 cup water--0
    Brown thighs in oil,about 5 min per side.
    Add garlic and saute 5 min.
    Add tomatoes bouillion and water.
    Bring to a simmer.Cover and simmer for 30-45 mins.Add parsley last 5 mins.
    False
    Sorry,I forgot the parsley in the ingedients.Use 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley.1.2 carbs Pat
    False
    There is a soy meal replacement powder on the market that can be mixed with milk. The brand name is Naturade and I purchased it at Sam's. One serving provides 13 grams of soy protein. It comes in vanilla or chocolate flavors. When my DH comes in late from the field and doesn't want a heavy meal, I will fix him a shake. I use the vanilla flavor, add a banana and milk in the blender for a tasty shake.

I prefer the chocolate! LOL It comes is a large plastic jug with 27 servings.
    False
    Suz--I'm sure you have been through a tough decision to have the Bariatric Surgery. The lifetime diet that you need to go on after the surgery is very similar to the Atkins diet. Have you tried eating low carb? I personally would try eating low carb right now--because after the surgery I don't think you will have a choice. If the low carb diet works for you, then maybe you will be able to prevent having to have the Bariatric surgery. Of course this is just my opinion--and I think you need to feel comfortable with the choices you will be making.
    False
    Wow, you guys are on the ball ! It seemed like it was just a few minutes after I posted that there were already 6 responses! I have a feeling that the last hoop they want me to do before I can get the surgery is to go on a physician/dietician supervised diet for 6 months. If I can't avoid that, then maybe they will put me on the atkins diet because it is quite similar to the way you have to eat after the surgery. As for baby food, if it doesn't make the soup taste awful that would be a good idea, putting it in soup, but straight out of the jar, I don't think so, makes me nauseous to think about it ! Thanks for the recipe, probably I should look into buying an atkins diet cookbook. Any more recipes or comments out there? Suz2
    False
    Suz2, over in kitchen chat there is a low carb daily post. We have recipes on there lots of times and if you go to the search on the upper left and put in low carb recipes you will find many posts filled with recipes. I have been doing Atkins for just over a year now and have lost 60 lbs, many have lost more. I wish you luck no matter what you do and come visit our post.
    Carol
    False