Dill and Parsley - How to Save? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dill and Parsley - How to Save?

Last post Aug 03, 2010 11:13 PM by Mimosa2 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Dill and Parsley - How to Save?

Good morning everyone.  I have a container full of both dill and parsley.  I need to pick it soon, but was wondering if someone can suggest how to save the dill (drying) and parsley.  I planted the dill especially for future drying, just not sure how to go about it.  Or even if it can be frozen. 

It is sooooo expensive to purchase dried dill, and I have a couple of dishes I like to use it in.

Thanks.

Arlene
    False
  • Re: Dill and Parsley - How to Save?
    I dry my herbs all the time. I pick a bunch, tie a string around the base and hag it upside down in my garage. After about a week, I test the bunch. If the leaves are dry and crunchy, I will de- leaf the stems and store in plastic bowls or plastic bags and store in the fridge. And a helpful hint about dill if you grow it in your garden. I haven't planted dill in 4 years. I leave the dill plants in the garden until frost. That way, the plants re- seed themselves and you get literally hundreds of plant. I just let them grow and harvest when the plants are big enough. Hope this helps.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Last year I had lots of parsley and not having too much patience to wait for herbs to dry, I chopped (after washing and patting dry) and froze it in an ice cube tray.  Worked greatBig Smile  Plan on doing the same again soon.

Tasty

False

Thanks Jet and Tasty.

Arlene

False

I also use the ice cube tray for parsley....Put water in and cut up some parsley....when frozen, I pop them into a zip lock freezer bag.....come winter and soup time, I just take out a cube or two for my soups.....almost like having fresh parsley in the soup..

False

I freeze both parsley and dill with good results for cooking. I just bought a huge bunch of fresh dill; I plan to cut off the roots and just keep the tops. Wash and dry on paper towels then cut in whatever length you want and tightly wrap in aluminum foil packets. I then put the packets into a zip lock plastic bag and can pull out what I need. I mainly use the dill to flavor a Czech Beef with Dill Gravy dish. As for the parsley, just rinse off the leaves and let drain or dry with paper towels or a dish towel. Drop into a zip lock bag; either leave it whole or whirl in a food processor to chop it. You can break off pieces of the frozen parsley and return the rest of the freezer until the next time you need some in cooking.

False