Recipes for Schlotzsky's bread please. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipes for Schlotzsky's bread please.

Last post Aug 08, 2010 5:31 AM by geejudy . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Recipes for Schlotzsky's bread please.

I ate lunch there today and love the bread they use. I know they make it fresh every day, as an ex-manager showed me the BIG can of yeast, saying it was made from scratch. It's always chewy and full of air bubbles, almost like English muffins. I saw the little pans too, as wondered how they got the shape. I've seen little cake pans that would work great. Thanks for any help.

Kathy

False
  • Re: Recipes for Schlotzsky's bread please.

I didn't know they were still in business! I loved that bread! They all closed around here. I'll be watching for that reicpe too!

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

This recipe is from Food.com. I know there is also a recipe on Allrecipes.com.  I haven't tried either one, but keep intending to.  I love, love that bread.  I wish they would just sell me some!

If you try this, let us know how it turns out.

Carolyn

Schotzsky's Bread

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup water lukewarm
      • 1 tablespoon sugar
      • 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
      • 3/4 cup milk lukewarm
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt
      • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      • 2 1/2 cups bread flour (all-purpose will work)
      • cornmeal

Directions

1. Stir water, sugar and yeast together and set aside.
    2. Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 tablespoon warm water in medium bowl.
    3. Add warm milk, salt and 1 cup flour; beat till smooth.
    4. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour (batter will be thick and sticky, but not as thick as normal bread batter).
    5. Spray two pie pans with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
    6. Divide dough and place in pie pans, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
    7. Preheat oven to 375ºF and bake for 20 minutes till golden.
    8. Cool 1 hour and cut in fourths.
    False

I have had the same recipe that Carolyn posted since May 2001!  I've never made it but I always am tempted.  If you do make it, please give a review of it.  

I love Scholotzsky's and it's a good thing one isn't closer to me or I'd be a regular.  Their pumpernickle bread is also great.

Suziee

False

Cool 

False

From Allrecipes- I have not tried this yet.~A

Read Reviews (39)

Schlotsky's Bread
    recipe image
    Rated: rating
    Submitted By: Dee
    Photo By: PEEK91
    Servings: 12

"This is a light white bread with more liquid than most, but don 't worry because the tender loaf turns out just fine."
    Ingredients:

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45
    degrees C)
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons warm water (110
    degrees F/45 degrees C)
    3/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45
    degrees C)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 cups bread flour
    2 tablespoons cornmeal

Directions:

1. In a small bowl stir together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
    2. In a large bowl dissolve baking soda with the 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water. Add the warm milk, salt, and one cup of the flour. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour. Batter should be thick, sticky, and smooth.
    3. Prepare 2 pie pans with non-stick spray. Dust pans with cornmeal. Place 1/2 dough in each pie pan. Batter will spread during rising time. Spray top of dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise for one hour.
    4. Repeat spraying of bread with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
    5. Allow to cool for an hour before slicing.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 8/5/2010

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

*** LOL-All 3 Recipes from our  3 sites posted here are pretty much the same.Big Smile Maybe that means it's good? ~A

How To Make Schlotzsky's deli bread
     Easy Recipe Ingredients & Directions:

Posted by Caroleann at recipegoldmine.com

I printed this recipe from I DUNNO, and I'm making my third batch today. Can't live without it. in fact I'd better make two batches. I really love this as toast and today am going to make bacon and egg sandwiches. I used it all last week for sandwiches. Schlotsky's is a chain deli. I'm not sure where all their locations are but they are popular here in Seattle.

1/2 cup lukewarm water
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 package yeast
    3/4 cup lukewarm milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    2 1/2 cups bread flour (all-purpose will work)
    Cornmeal

Stir water, sugar and yeast together and set aside.

Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 tablespoon warm water in medium bowl. Add warm milk, salt and 1 cup flour; beat till smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour (batter will be thick and sticky, but not as thick as normal bread batter).

Spray two pie pans with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal. Divide dough and place in pie pans, cover and let rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes till golden. Cool 1 hour and cut in 4ths.

False

I lovehome made bread so I "popped" in and copied this one! Thanks, Chris

False

Thanks everyone! I'll be trying them out this weekend and let you know next week. I ate there today. It's not close to where I live, but I just have to go there sometimes. The one that was closer, closed a couple of years ago.  I think toasted with some PB & J would be good on them too!  I like their pizzas too and it's the same dough.

Kathy

False

I baked this up this morning and it is very good. Served it along side of a bowl of homemade soup, I am happy I tried this out. Thanks for posting.

False

geejudy
    I baked this up this morning and it is very good.

Thanks so much for letting us know.

I am always looking for new Yeast recipes in whatever form I can find. I want to check this one out.

~A

False

Geejudy - thanks for letting us know you liked it.   Looking forward to Kathy's review as well. 

Suziee

False

It was very good. I am thinking, though, that it is one of those recipes that is best the day baked, will find out, my son took the leftover soup and one whole round loaf to his girlfriends yesterday for lunch. Knowing him he would heat it in some way to freshen it up. But it was great freshly baked, if I can remember to ask him and post here will.

False