To peel or not to peel an eggplant | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

To peel or not to peel an eggplant

Last post Aug 26, 2010 10:29 AM by Alliea . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • To peel or not to peel an eggplant

I want to make fried/or baked eggplant tonight. Not sure if my kids will like it, but I want to try it.  I have see a lot of recipes some say to peel and some say do not. I am just a little bit confused as what to do. Can someone help me out. Thanks Gail Tongue Tied

False
  • Re: To peel or not to peel an eggplant

Hi Gail,

What timing for you question!  My neighbor brought us over some beautiful veggies yesterday that included an eggplant.  I know DH and DS will not eat the eggplant in any form.  My daughter and I will be having it for supper tonight.   Sue 

False

Click for Chama, New Mexico Forecast

I forgot to add that I'll be reading the responses that you receive because I have never cooked it before so I'm no big help to you.Sad

False

I always peel my eggplant!! I HATE the shell!!Smile

I ordered eggplant parmigian in a restaurant once and they didn't peel the eggplant. YUCK!!

It was like eating RUBBER!!!Stick out tongue

False

Hi Gail,I never used to peel mine,BUT everyone else prefers it peeled.So for your first time peel it.

Wish  I had one or two.I`d eat it either way..
     Rosie

False

Hi, I'm definitely not an expert, but my sis had just mentioned having eggplant parmesan without being peeled and she said Yick. 2 of my  misc. recipes I use calls for peeled, and the one for eggplant parm one not. So guess it is preference. I think Rosie's suggestion was very good.

Jill

False

I wasn't sure how the skin would be.......I know my mother always peeled hers before frying. So peeled it is going to be. Maybe someday I will try it unpeeled just to compare. Hey Sue there are plenty of recipes on the board for baked and fried eggplant. All of them are very simple and all of them look great. Enjoy your eggplant. Gail Smile

False

Thanks Gail, you too!  We are going to try an eggplant parmesan recipe.  I'll let DD pick out which recipe she wants to use because she is going to take the lead and mom will be back up on this one!  I will suggest we peel the eggplant for our first go around!  Thanks for posing the question and to those that answered.

False

Eggplant Parm sounds good. I am using my eggplant as a side so I decided to try the recipe below.  John did a R&R on this, and it sounds good to me. Let me know how yours turns out and I will do the same. Gail Smile

Had this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. It was the first time I'd ever had eggplant and I'll definitely make this again. I added Garlic powder and Morton's Nature's Seasoning to Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs.

John

Oven Fried Eggplant

1 Medium eggplant
    2 Egg s
    1/4 c Cooking oil, olive or a neutral oil to your taste
    2 c Or more, seasoned breadcrumbs

Heat the oven to 375F.
    Peel and slice the eggplant in 1/4 inch or less slices. You can do full rounds or half rounds to your preference.
    Vigorously whisk together the egg and oil. You can multiply this as needed.
    Dip the eggplant slices in the egg/oil mixture and let drain.
    In a shallow bowl, bread the eggplant slices, pressing down to adhere as much breadcrumbs as possible.
    Lay out the eggplant slices on a sheet pan.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turn, bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve hot.

The breadcrumbs can be anything you wish.
    False

When I was growing up, my grandma always fried eggplant that was picked fresh from her garden.  She never peeled it, so I don't either.  Never gave it much thought.  Maybe if I do peel it DH would like it a little better.  

I love Eggplant Parmesan!  Haven't made it in a very long time.

Suziee

False

PAdutch

I always peel my eggplant!! I HATE the shell!!Smile

Yes

I know many like to leave their Eggplant unpeeled but I don't care for the skin so I always peel mine.

~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009