What can I do with grape tomatoes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What can I do with grape tomatoes?

Last post Aug 29, 2010 4:23 PM by gratefulservant_AZ . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What can I do with grape tomatoes?

I seem to have a bumper crop of grape tomatoes (those real tiny ones) It's  not like you can peel them and I'm not too thrilled about cooking them up and having the skins floating around in the sauce. Help! Do you have any suggestions? I sure would appreciate any ideas you may have. Thanx

False
  • Re: What can I do with grape tomatoes?

Add them to a pasta salad....I just made a Greek salad with a bunch of little tomatoes cut in half, diced cucumber, Greek or black olives, red onion, diced green pepper, pasta, crumbled Feta cheese - mix with an oil & vinegar dressing.  My dressing contained: 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vinegar (recommended red wine but we prefer white wine vinegar), 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt (I used less), 1/4 tsp. pepper, either bunch of fresh dill or less dried & oregano (1 tsp dried....I have fresh so I just stripped about 3 stems).  Mix them with tiny pieces of fresh mozzarella & some oil & vinegar dressing with some fresh herbs, make tossed salad....I'm sure there's a recipe for roasted ones....make brucceta (sp?)....slices of french or Italian bread with a tomato topping.

False

This recipe has become a favorite here.
    ~~Vicki

==========================================

PASTA WITH TOMATO AND ALMOND PESTO (Pesto Alla Trapanese)
    from Cook's Illustrated

A half teaspoon of red wine vinegar and ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes can be substituted for the pepperoncini. If you don’t have a food processor, a blender may be substituted. In step 2, pulse ingredients until roughly chopped, then proceed with the recipe, reducing processing times by half.

Serves 4 to 6

INGREDIENTS
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes (about 2 1/2 cups)
    1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
    1 medium garlic clove , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
    1 small pepperoncini (hot peppers in vinegar), stemmed, seeded, and minced (about 1/2 teaspoon) (see note)
    Table salt
    Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound pasta , preferably linguine or spaghetti
    1 ounce Parmesan cheese , grated (about 1/2 cup), plus extra for serving

1. Toast almonds in small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until pale golden and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Cool almonds to room temperature.

2. Process cooled almonds, tomatoes, basil, garlic, pepperoncini, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes (if using) in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, slowly drizzle in oil, about 30 seconds.

3. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook until al dente. Reserve ½ cup cooking water; drain pasta and transfer back to cooking pot.

4. Add pesto and ½ cup Parmesan to cooked pasta, adjusting consistency with reserved pasta cooking water so that pesto coats pasta. Serve immediately, passing Parmesan separately.

False

Here's a recipe for a side dish.....otherwise, I'd probably just eat them all raw!!

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes

Salt and pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon minced fresh basil

Heat 1 Tb. olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high flame until it just starts to smoke. Add tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Saute, shaking pan frequently, until tomatoes soften and skins just begin to wrinkle, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to shake the pan until garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat, stir in the basil and remaining 1 Tb. olive oil, then serve.

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

Have you ever tried drying tomatoes?  I dry the tomatoes to add to soup, casseroles, meat, etc... during the winter.

Jolene explains how she dried cherry tomatoes in the oven:
    http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/796546.aspx

~~Vicki

False

Cut them in half, put them in a baking dish with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, some garlic cloves and if you have on hand - fresh basil or oregano.  Roast at 225 degrees for approximately 3 hours.  They will caramelize a bit and not be totally dried out.  Put them in pasta (with a cream sauce is really good), on pizza, on chicken or cover with olive oil.  They will keep in the refrigerator for about a week with out the oil.  Not sure how they will freeze.  JMartinelli (Jolene) just posted her tomato raisins as well.

We love this recipe using roasted tomatoes:

I will mark my changes ***  I did slow-roast my tomatoes at 225 degrees for 3 hours.  I prefer them this way over quickly roasting them.

Suziee

Creamy Roasted Tomato Pesto Pasta

http://cassiecraves.blogspot.com/2010/07/creamy-roasted-tomato-pesto-pasta.html

Cassie's source: adapted from The Hungry Housewife

1 pound rigatoni  **I used 1/2 box of  Dreamfield Penne
    1 pint grape tomatoes  **added 3 garlic cloves, 7 leaves of freshly chopped basil and drizzled with a little olive oil.
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar  **omitted
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 garlic cloves, minced 
    1 cup pesto **used 1/2 cup
    1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cubed  **used  approx. 6 oz. Neufchatel/low-fat cream cheese
    1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup chicken stock  **didn’t have—the seal was broke on my brand new box!-used pasta water and it worked great.

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring pasta water to boil, salt liberally, and cook pasta according to package directions.

2. In a medium bowl toss the tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic vinegar salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with foil and pour the tomatoes onto it. Place in preheated oven and cook for about 10 minutes (You’ll know the tomatoes are ready when they begin to burst. They should be done just as you’re finishing everything else if you time it right.)   **I cut tomatoes in half, put in pyrex dish cut side up, drizzled with a little olive oil, chopped fresh basil and tucked 3 garlic cloves around the tomatoes.  Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Roasted SLOWLY – 225 degrees for 3 hours.  Discarded garlic.

3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic to the butter and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour pesto into skillet and mix well. Add the cream cheese and mix until smooth. Stir in parmesan cheese and chicken stock (**pasta water) . Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over low heat 5 minutes.

4. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the sauce. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and toss with the pasta. Pour into a serving dish.  **sprinkled with additional chopped fresh basil.

False

This is also very good to use the roasted tomatoes:

Bow Tie Pasta with Oven Dried Tomatoes

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/main-courses/bow-tie-pasta-with-oven-dried-tomatoes-asparagus-and-boursin/  

Photobucket

FOR THE OVEN DRIED TOMATOES:
    • 12 whole Cherry Tomatoes, Halved **used whole container
    • 3 cloves Garlic **used more
    • 1 teaspoon To 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
    • 1 pinch Sugar
    • 1 pinch Kosher Salt
    • Freshly Ground Pepper
    • 4 leaves Basil, Julienned
    • _____
    • FOR THE PASTA:
    • ⅓ cups Pine Nuts **omitted
    • 8 ounces, weight Bow Tie Pasta **used entire box
    • 1 bunch Asparagus, Ends Trimmed And Cut Into 2-3 Inch Pieces **double asparagus if using extra pasta** roasted  with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper
    • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
    • 3 cloves Roasted Garlic (from The Above List), Chopped
    • 12 whole Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (from The Above List)
    • 1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, Julienned
    • 1/4 cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
    • 1/4 cups Garlic And Herb Boursin Cheese, Crumbled (a Good Herbed Goat Cheese Will Work, Too)  **used whole small container of Boursin
    • 3/4 teaspoons Lemon Pepper
    • Kosher Salt And Pepper
    • 2/3 cups reserved pasta water **used a little less
    For the oven-dried tomatoes:Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. In a small baking pan (I used a round cake pan), place the cherry tomato halves, cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with basil. Tuck the garlic cloves in between the tomatoes. Bake for 3 1/2 hours.***bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours max.  The tomatoes should be shriveled, but still have some moisture. Refrigerate the tomatoes and garlic until ready to use.For the pasta:Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook the pine nuts in the dry skillet, shaking or stirring the pan constantly, until the pine nuts are slightly brown on all sides. Remove to a bowl. In the same saucepan, bring six cups of well-salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for two more minutes. **roast asparagus with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper.  Reserve 2/3 cups pasta water and drain the pasta and asparagus in a colander. In the same saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the roasted garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the roasted tomatoes to warm through. Add the pasta, asparagus and reserved water, tossing to combine. Add the basil, cheeses, lemon pepper, and pine nuts. Toss everything together and taste for salt and pepper.

False

One of my favorite summer sides is similar's to Becky's -- toss them with a little olive oil, salt & red pepper -- either flakes or cayenne -- and bake in the oven. About 20 minutes at 400 degrees -- the skins will start to pop. This is really good if you are doing roasted or baked chicken and you can just toss these in the same pan with the chicken when it has about 20 minutes left. I LOVE tomatoes cooked like this.

False

I put them in salads (10 layer salad, rainbow rotini salad, tossed salad), eat them as snacks, and I have a couple of veggie recipes that use them.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon