Funeral cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Funeral cake

Last post Apr 09, 2011 11:55 AM by janineid . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Funeral cake

I am looking for an old recipe. Along time ago, when so one passed away,the undertaker and his wife would come to your home ,and take care of the body. ,The families and friends came to the home to view body and sit with the family.The undertakers wife would bring this cake for the family. Would love to have this recipe.......Thanks

False
  • Re: Funeral cake
    There are many recipes called Funeral Cake.  Do know the flavor of the cake?  Here is one recipe I located online. 

Amish Funeral Cake
    Amish Funeral Cake is topped with a broiled brown-sugar crust and nuts.

1 cup butter, at room temperature
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups buttermilk (see note)
    Topping (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.

In mixing bowl, cream butter with both of the sugars for 3 minutes. Add vanilla extract, blending well.

Mix the flour and salt in a separate bowl. Add a little of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in a little of the buttermilk. Continue adding the flour and buttermilk, alternating with each addition. When all the flour and buttermilk has been incorporated, pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in the center.

While cake is baking, combine Topping ingredients. When cake is done, remove from oven and change oven setting to broil. Pour topping mixture over the cake and set pan about 8 inches from broiler heat. Broil 3 minutes or until the topping is brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler and cool on a rack.

Makes 12 servings.

Topping:
    7 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

NOTE: There is no baking powder or baking soda in this cake.

False

It was vanilla , like a fluffy pound cake ,and it was dusted with powdered sugar. It was baked in a bundt cake pan. Thanks.

False

I'm just searching online, so I don't know if any of these will be close:

EASY ONE BOWL POUND CAKE   

6 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
    3 sticks Imperial butter
    3 c. flour
    2 1/4 c. sugar
    3 tsp. vanilla
    3 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 c. milk

Put all ingredients in bowl. Beat at medium speed for 20 minutes. Pour into a greased tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until it tests done. Do not preheat oven. When cool you can sprinkle with 4X sugar or glaze or eat plain.  Great with fruit or ice cream.

"Irene's Funeral Cake"

The moist center you get when the cake is baked is an indication of a perfectly baked pound cake.

Ingredients:
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup buttermilk
    4 eggs
    1 cup Crisco shortening
    3 cups plain flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon lemon flavoring
    1/2 teaspoon orange flavoring

Directions:
    Combine flour, salt, and soda and set aside. Cream sugar and Crisco shortening together; add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each. While continuing to mix, start adding flour mixture, then milk - a little of each at a time - ending with the flour mixture. Add lemon and orange flavoring. Batter will be thicker than a regular cake batter. Pour into a greased and floured tube or bundt pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

False

Here's another that I found in a NYT article about the old fashioned tradition of funeral foods ~ I know it says to use a springform pan, but I'm not sure how old fashioned those are.  I have no idea if they've been around a long time or not.  Anyway, I'm sure you adjust it for a bundt pan.

Kentucky Funeral Cake

(Adapted from ''Kentucky Cooking'' by Charles Patteson with Craig Emerson)

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature, plus butter for greasing the pan

2 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus flour for dusting the pan

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

1 cup milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.

2.Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3.In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly. Fold in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in vanilla.

4.Pour into prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake 60 to 70 minutes longer, until the cake is brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold and continue cooling.

Yield: 1 large cake.

False

Thanks so much. I think Irene's cake sounds like it. Really appreciate all your time ....

False

You're very welcome.  Hope this is close to what you are looking for.  You can always just use all vanilla instead of the orange and lemon.
    False

I am looking for more information about this old custom.  Can you tell me anything more specific about when/where this custom came from?   Thanks!

False