Authentic Chicago Style Italian Beef | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Authentic Chicago Style Italian Beef

Last post Sep 19, 2010 6:55 AM by Appy_Girl . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Authentic Chicago Style Italian Beef

I just posted this under another thread, but thought I'd share it in a post, as it's one of my favorite Italian Beef Slow Cooker recipes.  The slow cooker version is more of a well-done roast, but still very, very good.  

This can also be made by oven roasting.  Put water/bouillon in roasting pan.  Rub roast with some oil/vinegar brine from Mild Giardinera, and approximately half of the Italian seasonings.  Place roast on rack above water/bouillon.  Add remainder of seasonings to bouillon.  Roast beef  at 325 to 350 to 140 (rare).  Cool (even better if made day before), then slice thinly, heating beef in juices.

Authentic Chicago Style Italian Beef

1 large cut of beef: Sirloin Tip, Rump Roast, Eye of  Round or Boston Cut (about 4-5 pounds or size to suit your family)
    6 cloves Fresh Garlic (6 to 8 cloves) (or enough to cover your cut of beef)
    5 cubes beef boullion (I preferto use a combination of beef and chicken bouillon!!)

2 tbls Italian Seasoning (combination of Marjoram, Sage, Oregano and Basil)**
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Mild Giardinera (Italian vegetable relish mix in oil/vinegar)

De-fat meat as much as possible. Cut fresh garlic into thin slices. Cut slits over entire cut of meat and insert garlic slices in slits.

Place beef roast in large crock pot. Add boullion cubes, Italian spices and 1 to 2 tablespoons of Mild Giardinera (undrained), and an additional 2 teaspoons of the oil/vinegar brine.  Cover roast with water 3/4 of the way up the container (about 3-4 cups water). Cook on High heat for 6-8 hours (more or less depending on size of roast). Remove from juices, slice thin for beef sandwiches and return sliced beef to juices.  Adjust juice seasonings, if desired.

Serve on sliced French or Italian bread. Dip bread in juices and layer with generous serving of beef.

**1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

I use a combination of 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teasoon basil.  (You can eliminate the fresh garlic if using garlic powder).

Arlene

False
  • Re: Authentic Chicago Style Italian Beef

This sounds great Yes. Copying this one.

Thanks Arlene.

NancyStick out tongue

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Sound really good, and am going to copy this also. Something dh would enjoy a lot!

Thank-you much!

Jill

False

I'm definitely going to try this - my dh is from chicago (grew up downtown) and we are forever searching for the perfect beef recipe. I've come close, but he always says something is still a bit off :-)

what caught my attention is the use of the giardiniera IN the recipe. We always have it on top of the beef - after dunking the bread cuz you have to eat it wet Wink  - but I haven't seen or even thought to use it in the cooking. How obvious is that?!?!?!

thank you!!!

dawn

False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

Thanks for the great recipe, Arlene.  I saw this post yesterday but didn't have time to copy it.  Went looking for it this morning and couldn't find it.  It snuck back on page one while I was digging deeper through the threads.

Hoping I can find a good Giardinera.  Walmart carried one that we really liked (I both hot for DH and mild for me) and now they no longer carry it.  The one they carry has too many pearl onions it it and it and really over-powers the flavor.  

This sounds very good.  

Suziee

False

Dawn - Being IN Chicago, I can relate to looking for the perfect Italian Beef recipe! 

My DH is a retired Chicago Police officer, and he was the one that was told by one of the "famous" beef joints that adding some of the oil from Scala's Giardinera gives it that extra special flavor.  The Italian Beef sandwich is all about the juice, isn't it?

Suz - I hope you can find the giardinera.  In Chicago, Scala's is THE one to buy, but there are a few brands that are pretty good.  Greco's is one, I believe, and Dell Alpi is the other.  My DH and DS, of course, are hotties, but not me!  If I put the hot giardinera in the recipe, I wouldn't be able to touch it.  The hot is best left for using on the sandwich itself, IMO.

I do prefer the oven method, because I make it the day before, usually, and wrap the roast in foil.  The next day, when it's cold, it's so much easier to slice, especially if it's cooked to the rare stage.  A meat slicer for this recipe is best, of course, but if you have a really good knife or electric knife, slicing the meat chilled is so much easier.  Then, just toss the meat into the heated juices and let it simmer only until it's warmed.

If you use the oven version recipe, use 5-6 cups of water.  It cooks down in the oven and gets more concentrated.  The juices can, of course, be extended afterwards by adding another cube or two and some additional water.  This recipe is adaptable to taste preferences.

The slow cooker version is good too, but it's a different texture because the meat cooks to a different stage.  

Hope all of this helps.

Arlene

False

Wow does that sound great.  I'd also have to have mild or I'd burn my mouth.  Thanks for the recipe....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

This sound absolutely delicious !~  I have not bought an eye roast in years ~  Now I have an excuse to buy one ~  I was thinking Chuck Roast ??  Would that work??  Thanks  Janie ~

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

arelabs
    Scala's Giardinera

LOL!!!!  We order it online, along with sport peppers and relish for dogs.  We can't find the sport peppers here in charlotte; but I can find a different brand of the giardinera at Super Target. It's good, and does in a pinch, but dh is brand loyal to  Scala's.  The internet is a great thing :-)

I didn't realize you were IN chicago :-)  dh grew up in Lincoln Park, his grandfather did the maintenance/handyman work for one of the apartment buildings so they all lived in it. I"ll ask him which one, I don't recall at the moment. After his parents divorced (he was 15), he moved with his mom to Des Plaines. Then back downtown for UIC. First thing we do when we enter the city limits is go to Al's, Mario's ice if it's open, and then on to dogs & pizza. I'm telling you, our trips home revolve around food Stick out tongue

False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

I agree, this receipe is wonderul.  Another thing to add is a horsey sauce.  Just add horseradish to mayonnaise and put on top of sandwich along with pepperchonis!  Great sandwich for all.

False

Appy - Sure, chuck roast is good.  When I use a chuck roast, I try to get a "Boston" roast, which is rolled and tied.  Sirloin tip and Eye of Round are the best.  Rump is another rolled roast, but, IMO, the ST or EOR are the best!!!  Catch them on sale, and you're good-to-go. You might have seen my opinion about bottom round in another post (yucko), but BJ says to boil a few minutes in tea to tenderize it, sooooooo.......

Dawn - I'm at the opposite end of the City - near Midway Airport.  

So, if someone tries this "authentic" recipe, be sure and let me know.  My preference for the seasoning is the mix I posted after the posted recipe.  You can mix and match the seasonings any which way you want, but an authentic Chicago Italian Beef consists of thinly sliced beef, soaked in a delicious juice of "Italian" seasonings.  As  said, I like the oven method, and I bypass the garlic for the powdered in the mix I use.  

The giardinera brine makes the big taste difference, so don't be afraid to be generous with it when mixing it in with the juices.

Mmmmm.

False

Yes  Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.