Looking for a good cold appetizer recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for a good cold appetizer recipe

Last post Sep 20, 2010 5:43 PM by carol1229 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Looking for a good cold appetizer recipe

I need a recipe to take to a girl's luncheon this week. I have cr. cheese on hand and need to get used up. I would like a good cold recipe. I don't want to take anything that needs to be re-heated.

Another question I have is I copied a Fluffy Apple Dip recipe  which sounds good. But how do I keep the apple slices from turning brown on the tray as it sits out for a few hrs.? And what else could I serve instead of fruit with this dip? Crackers of some sort would be great, but what kind? This dip has marshmallow cream in it.So it will be on the sweet side for sure Smile

Thanks!

False
  • Re: Looking for a good cold appetizer recipe

knickknack_PA
    But how do I keep the apple slices from turning brown on the tray as it sits out for a few hrs.?

My neighbor uses a bowl of salt water to hold her apples slices while she is preparing them for the freezer.   She has had good luck with this method and even stores them in the fridge this way to snack.   You might try this and see if it would work for you.

False

One of my favorite appie's is take your block of cream cheese and put it on a plate or bowl with shallow sides, and smash it up - then spread a can of drained crab meat on it, and cover with a good shrimp sauce - Hoffman House is a favorite.  Serve with crackers - - When my DS was home, he would eat this for breakfast, if there was any left.   So simple and so good.  You can also use the canned little shrimp, but I think the crab is much better.  

Certain kinds of apples don't turn as much - I know I get a variety called Honey Gold, and it doesn't, but I think that may be a local or actually, Mn. variety.  I think Granny Smith are less prone to it too.  

False

Spread thin slices of ham with cream cheese, place a dill pickle spear (or whole depending on the size of pickle) on top and roll up. Cut into 2-bite sized pieces. Chill until ready to serve. (This is really versatile in changing the style of pickle or using a veggie flavored cream cheese, etc.)

Place cream cheese in a serving dish (not a flat plate) and allow to come to room temp. Pour your favorite salsa on top, serve with tortilla chips. Change salsa to jalapeno jelly and use crackers. Change jelly to slightly warmed apricot jam/preserves and serve with shortbread cookies and fruit slices (apple or pear).

Hope that helps!  Ellie

False

Oh, and I forgot to add that my kids like Apple Dip with graham crackers.

E

False

Some very good ideas so far. Thank You! Keep them coming ! Smile

False

As for the sliced apples, a tip that I read in Paula Deen's magazine that her daughter-in-law uses, is Sprite (Or 7-UP).  I sliced my apples, put them in a zip lock bag and poured the Sprite over them, sealed and refrigerated.  They were still perfect the next day, so I drained and dabbed them with a paper towel to dry.  They tasted like I had just sliced them and stayed fresh on my appetizer plate.

Carolyn

False

Bombay Celery Sticks

2 ounces cream cheese softened
    3 tablespoons
    salted peanuts chopped
    1 tablespoon chutney chopped
    8 ribs celery (8" each)

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, peanuts and chutney until well blended.

Stuff each celery rib with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture. Cover and chill.

To serve, cut in 2-inch pieces.

serves/makes 32

False

pegg

Celery Balls

1 cup minced celery
    3 ounces cream cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 dash pepper
    dried parsley or freshly chopped parsley

Directions:

Combine the celery, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Roll into bite-size balls. Roll in the parsley.

Chill until ready to serve. Serve on toothpicks.

serves/makes 1 dozen

False

pegg

Just equal parts of marshmallow fluff & soften cream cheese works well - since you've already got cream cheese, the plain will be fine (strawberry flavored cream cheese works well).  You can also dip vanilla wafers, graham crackers (don't they have some graham sticks?), strawberries, bananas could be sliced at the last minute, some people say 7-UP or Sprite will keep apples from turning. 

False

This is not exactly an appetizer but ladies love these little sandwiches. Here's a review of the recipe I posted previously.

R&RCarrot Cake Mini Sandwiches-Thanks MargieLou_WA

These are so good and easy to make. I did have to let it firm up in the fridge before spreading on bread. I'll be making these again!

Carrot Cake Mini Sandwiches

Recipe By     :Posted by: Margielou_WA

8             ounces  cream cheese 

8             ounces  Betty Crocker® Creamy Deluxe® Ready-To-Spread Cream Cheese Frosting   (1/2 can)
      1              cup  grated carrots 
      1/4           cup  chopped pecans -- (or walnuts)
      16            slices  cinnamon-raisin bread

Trim crusts off bread.
    Combine frosting, cream cheese, grated carrots and nuts.
    Spread filling on a slice of bread and top with another slice of trimmed bread.
    Slice sandwiches into quarters or any shape you'd like for variety.
    Chill for at least an hour before serving.

- - -

False

Here's a great apple dip that I copied from this site last year.  Sorry, I don't remember who posted it, but it is delicious and thank you to the poster who shared it with us.

Layered Caramel Apple Crunch Dip Recipe
        * 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
        * 2/3 cup brown sugar
        * 1 jar of the thickest, richest caramel ice cream topping you can find (I'm a big fan of Mrs. Richardson's)
        * 1 bag (11 ounce) Heath bits (or any chocolate coated toffee bits - or you can always go the extra mile and make your own toffee to crush!!)
        * about 6 apples, cored and sliced (no need to remove the skin - it's good for you!)
        * NOTE: to prevent apples from turning brown after you cut them, either sprinkle with some Fruit Fresh (available at the grocers) or soak the slices in some salt water for about 10 minutes, then rinse well before placing on serving platter - a little citrus fruit juice will work, too, like some orange juice or lemon juice, but those juices will affect the taste of the apple slices, so you may not want that if you want the caramel apple flavor to dominate,  dipping in 7 up or Sprite works too. 
    Directions
       1. Mix together the cream cheese and brown sugar until well blended.
       2. Spread mixture out thinly on serving platter.
       3. Spread caramel ice cream topping over the cream cheese layer.
       4. Sprinkle toffee bits all over the caramel topping.
       5. Surround dip with slice apples and DIG IN!

False

Thanks for all the great recipes. Smile

False

Didn't know if you still needed some recipes, but here's 2 more.

CRANBERRY-CARAMELIZED ONION CHEESE SPREAD
    (Source: Taste of home cooking school)

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, soften
    4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
    1 cup (4 oz) finely shredded cheddar cheese
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, sliced, quartered
    1 tsp plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
    1 cup ocean spray fresh or frozen cranberries
    1/4 cup water
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
    assorted crackers

Combine cream cheese and blue cheese in a medium mixing bowl; beat until smooth and creamy. Add cheddar cheese; beat until well blended. Spread in shallow serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in 1 tsp sugar. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until onion is soft and golden; stirring occasionally. Remove onion from skillet; set aside.
    In the same skillet, combine cranberries, remaining sugar and water. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until cranberries pop and mixture thicken, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and onions. Cool slightly.
    To serve, bring cheese spread to room temperature. Spoon cranberry mixture over cheese spread; sprinkle with walnuts. Serve with crackers.
    Yield: 24 servings.

TORTILLA PINWHEELS
    (Source: Mom2boys, TOH website)

1 (8 oz) pkg. of cream cheese
    1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
    1 (4 oz) can diced black olives, drained
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/2  cup chopped green onions
    Garlic powder and seasoning salt to taste
    1 pkg. 10” flour tortilla

Combine above ingredients and spread evenly over tortillas. Roll tortillas tightly and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Unroll from plastic and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Serve flat out on a glass try with a small bowl of salsa in the center. *I also made some with cream cheese, blender with a little milk and sharp cheddar cheese. Spread that over the tortilla; layered ham on that, then rolled up. You can also place a green onion before rolling up. I almost liked these best. I also ran out of things to put on the tortillas, so I tried tuna with mayonnaise. That was delicious too. I should have put shredded lettuce on it too. *Next I’d like to try one of the spinach-artichoke dips on tortillas.

False

This is really good.....you can make the chips ahead and store them in a ziploc bag and the salsa can be made ahead too.  Everyone loves this-something a little different.

Carol

APPLE SALSA WITH CINNAMON CHIPS

(Source: Best of Country Cooking 1999) 

SALSA:
    2 medium tart apples, chopped (I peel them, but you don't have to)
    1 c. chopped strawberries
    2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
    1 small orange
    2 Tbsp. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. apple jelly, melted

CHIPS:
    8 flour tortillas (7 or 8 inches) (I've used the regular as well as the 98% fat free ones and the whole wheat, or multigrain ones-all with good results)
    3 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine (I always use the butter spray like the Parkay or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter ones...saves TONS of time!)
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon

For Salsa: In a bowl, combine apples, strawberries and kiwi. Grate rind from orange to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons; squeeze juice from orange. Add peel and juice to apple mixture. Combine brown sugar and apple jelly; stir into apple mixture.

For Chips: Brush (or spray) tortillas lightly with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. Place in a single layer on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake @ 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Serve with salsa. Makes 4 cups salsa.

False