OK, why do you pierce an egg | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OK, why do you pierce an egg

Last post Jul 17, 2004 9:44 AM by cooknchic . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • OK, why do you pierce an egg
    before hard boiling it? I was reading Texasrosell's post and am curious now. What does that do?

TIA~

Amy
    False

• RE: OK, why do you pierce an egg
    it helps to peel it easier as a little water enters the shell(this si what i read this am)
    False
    Why thank you, Flipper! I hate to peel hard boiled eggs, so maybe I'll try the safety pin!

Amy
    False

PIERCER A sharp-pointed tool for gently pricking a very small hole in the large end of an eggshell before hard-cooking. A clean, preferably sterilized, thumbtack, pin or needle can also be used for piercing. Piercing may allow some air to escape and some water to seep into the egg during cooking which may make peeling easier. Piercing also often produces hairline cracks in the shell
    False
    You have to pierce the big end of the egg! Just enough to break through the shell, not into the egg. If some of the white floats out during boiling you poked too far. The theory is to give the air in the egg a place to go so the the shell won't break, not to make the peeling easier. I pierce the eggs for all Easter eggs. Seldom do I have a cracked egg shell after boiling.
    False
    This is good to find out. I have a dickens of a time getting hard-cooked eggs to peel without losing a bunch of cooked white that's stuck to the shell.
    False
    hmmm, conflicting opinions! Bummer, I want to be able to peel eggs easier when my sweetie wants deviled eggs :) I've read the other tricks here and have now gotten a center with no green ring, but would love an egg peeler :)

Amy
    False

Someone posted the perfect egg, not long ago. I tried it and it works. The egg was pierced at the bottom, and peeled very easy.
    Liovely
    False
    Found this info:

Very fresh eggs may be difficult to peel. The fresher the eggs, the more the shell membranes cling tenaciously to the shells. Though many techniques to make peeling easier have been tried, the simplest method is to buy and refrigerate eggs a week to ten days in advance of hard cooking. This brief “breather” allows the eggs to take in air which helps separate the membranes from the shell. Before peeling, it’s important to crackle the shells until they have a fine network of lines all over. Eggshells usually come off much more readily, without tearing the whites, when they’re in small pieces rather than large chunks.
    False
    I also heard taht piercing the shell centers the yolk in the egg. Works too.

Nothing worse than making deviled eggs and having the whites tear because the white is too thin where the yolk was before! :)
    False
    Thanks all for the info! I just hate to peel eggs; the tiny little pieces stab me, the large chunks rip off the whites.....Whine, whine, whine, I know :) The things we do for those we love, huh :)

Amy
    False

So it can be a Punk-Rocker???? LOL Sorry cooknchic! Couldnt resist! Have a great day!
    Jackie
    False
    The piercing is mainly to let the gas out of the egg, and will prevent green rings and a strong sulpher smell. . When you put the eggs into the boiling water you can see the gas bubbles flowing out. Pierce on the large end with a push pin. A safety in is too hard to keep ahold of, and you have more of a chance of cracking the egg, or poking yourself. Barely simmer eggs for 15 to 17 minutes, then drain and vigorously shake pan to crack eggs all over. If some don't crack, use your knuckles to crack them. Then cover with cold water. They will peel real easily...even fresh ones.
    False
    Some people believe it does make them easier to peel...

There are 10 million ways people swear by to hard boil them. I just laugh. The simple, easy 100% perfection way?

Use older eggs. Never hard boil new eggs.

If you want to hardboil some, buy them... save them at least 1-2 weeks and THEN boil them.

They will peel easy EVERY SINGLE TIME without fail. I've not had to deal with tiny pieces of shell in 15 years. Ever.

False
    LOL~Jackie, it took me a second, but I literally LOL on that one!! Too cute!

OK, for all the hints about using older eggs....I almost never use fresh from the store eggs. I bake a lot and always have a lot of eggs in the fridge, and I just use what's there. I only shop about every other week, sometimes less than that. So, I don't know why that isn't the case for me, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

But, I'm always open to trying something new, and a deviled egg will never go to waste around my sweetie.

Thank you all so much; I'll try a push pin next :)
    False