Can I substitute red wine for white called for in the recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I substitute red wine for white called for in the recipe?

Last post Oct 25, 2010 10:03 AM by Allspice_Mo . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Can I substitute red wine for white called for in the recipe?

I have a chicken recipe that I want to use that specifies white wine, I have lots of red or very light colored wine, can I use this instead??.  Just didn't want to go out and buy some more wine since I have numerous other bottles that have been given to us over time and needs to be used up.  Thanks for any info or a recipe to use the red especially with chicken or pork.  Beef would be OK to.    I am trying to use up the surplus of meat in the freezer as well as the other STUFF that I have accumulated before it becomes outdated, so any suggestions or recipes would be wonderful.  Thanks, Anna

False
  • Re: Can I substitute red wine for white called for in the recipe?

It probably calls for white so it does not discolor the sauce with it. Red is good in stew, pasta sauce etc. If your chicken sauce has tomatoes in it I would not worry about which color you used, it will all taste the same.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

Hi-

You can certainly use red- although it may color the dish.  If you happen to have a bottle of dry vermouth, you can use that- I keep a bottle at all times- not $$ at all- just so I don't have to open a bottle of white for 1/2 cup for a recipe...or whatever.

Do not use the "cooking wine" sold in grocery stores...too salty...

I always put some red in a pasta sauce- even a prepared one- just 1/2 cup or so gives it a nice touch.

You can always just drink the red with whatever you've cooked- don't worry about white with chicken, etc...whatever you like is the right wine! Wink

Good luck!

Margaret

False

Hey, plumcrazy...great minds think alike! Big Smile

Anna- you can also substitute chicken broth for the white wine without concern.

M.

False

Thanks so much to all of you for the suggestions, I am gonna go ahead and use the red wine may just have to drink the rest.  ha, ha.  (just kidding)  Anna

False