Candied Sweet Potatoes - HELP!!!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Candied Sweet Potatoes - HELP!!!!!

Last post Nov 03, 2010 9:32 AM by dreamwhip . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Candied Sweet Potatoes - HELP!!!!!

One of my favorite things to eat is candied sweet potatoes.  I like them sweet and sticky; they are candied.  I have trouble getting mine to "candy". Anyone have any suggestions?

False
  • Re: Candied Sweet Potatoes - HELP!!!!!

This is how to make southern style candied sweet potatoes. This item is a must have at almost all southern tables, especially holiday dinners.

Instructions

Things You'll Need:

• 13 X 9 baking pan
    • 4 to 5 sweet potatoes
    • 1 stick of real butter
    • Several cups of sugar
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into thin slices and place them into the 13 X 9 baking pan.

2. Take the stick of butter and cut it into thin slices as well and place the butter slices all over the potatoes. You want a good even amount of butter on the potatoes.

3. Grab your sugar container and scoop out about a cup of sugar. Sprinkle the sugar all over the potatoes making sure to cover them completely.

4. Place the pan in the oven and let it bake for about 20 minutes or until all the sugar is melted.

5. Remove the pan and pour some of the liquid out of the pan. Sprinkle the potatoes again with enough sugar to cover them completely. Place the pan back into the oven and repeat the pouring and covering with sugar process several time until the potatoes are cooked and the top is golden brown.

False

pegg

Try this on it is simple and easy to make.                                                                                                                                      Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes                                                                                                                                                                         INGREDIENTS

6 large sweet potatoes 1/2 cup butter 2 cups white sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 tablespoon vanilla extract salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks. Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy skillet and add the sliced sweet potatoes.

Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cover the sweet potatoes with sugar mixture and stir. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour or until potatoes are "candied". They should be tender but a little hard around the edges. Also the sauce will turn dark. You will need to stir occasionally during the cooking. Stir in the vanilla just before serving. Serve hot.

False

When my mom made them years ago she melted butter in a cast iron frying pan, added brown sugar and let it melt, then added slices or quarters of cooked sweet potatoes (or yams) and cooked slowly until they became sticky.

False

Try this candied yam or sweet potato recipe.  It has received good reviews every Thanksgiving. Margielou

Subject: Sticky Gooey Candied Yams Posted by: Margielou_WA Replies: 13 Posted on: 9/26/2003 10:43:48 AM #T236074 This is an old fashioned candied yam recipe I got from a Southern friend years ago. My family really enjoys yams done this way.

6 medium sized yams
    1/3 cup dark Karo syrup
    1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 pound butter

Cook the unpeeled yams in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until you can peel them. Cut in half lengthwise. Melt butter, sugar, Karo syrup, and water together in a large skillet. Lay yams cut side down in this syrup and cook on low heat, turning occasionally and basting occasionally so yams candy on both sides. Keep heat low so they do not scorch. Cook slowly until yams are tender and syrup flavor has permeated the yams. Takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on how much you precooked your yams.

I like to use this recipe since the yams are cooked on top of the stove so the oven can be used for other things for holiday dinners

False

Gram, that's the way my mom & I have always made our candied sweet potatoes.  You don't even need a cast iron skillet.  It works just as well in a regular one.

Barb

False

You know what also would be good to put some cinnamon/sugar and chopped pecans on top and put in a 350 degree oven with a little melted butter drizzled on top for about 15 or so minutes

Shelia

False
    orignalred /Shelia

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions; I'm going to try every one of them.  I hope all of you have a great holiday season.  Praise the Lord because he has really blessed us all.

False