Can you Freeze fresh sauerkraut? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you Freeze fresh sauerkraut?

Last post Sep 19, 2012 3:49 PM by Melodie Layne . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Can you Freeze fresh sauerkraut?

I'm going to a church Octoberfest where they sell fresh sauerkraut. It doesn't cost much, and I was wondering if I could freeze it to use later in soups....  I think I'd just put it in freezer bags.

Thanks for any help.

Kathy

False
  • Re: Can you Freeze fresh sauerkraut?
    i use to make kraut & can it. if I didn't use the entire content of the jar I placed it in a ziplock bag & froze it. kraut is a fermented food so don't see any reason why you can't freeze it. It can't hurt the flavor cause it's already been fermented.
    False

Would it be better to freeze with liquid or not?

Thanks......... Kathy

False

I freeze it all the time with the liquid.  We like stronger tasting kraut, so I don't drain when I cook it.

Marlene

False

I make my own crock sauerkraut every year and I always freeze it. It tastes really fresh done that way. I freeze the liquid with it but I do drain mine before cooking with it. Too salty for me.

False

Thanks for everyons's help. Now I'm looking forward to "stocking up" at the Octoberfest!

They sell it really cheap and my husband loves it, now I can use it in soups and let him have some too!

Kathy

False

hein57

I'm going to a church Octoberfest where they sell fresh sauerkraut. It doesn't cost much, and I was wondering if I could freeze it to use later in soups....  I think I'd just put it in freezer bags.

Thanks for any help.

Kathy

False