I found a new and better way to keep sliced apples from turning brown | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I found a new and better way to keep sliced apples from turning brown

Last post Nov 26, 2011 10:19 PM by BEACH_BUM_GA . 32 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 123
  • I found a new and better way to keep sliced apples from turning brown

I was trying to figure out how to keep my apple slices from turning brown for a caramel apple bar.  My friend told me to try pineapple juice.  I was skeptical, but I sliced 20 apples, but them in 2 one gallon zip lock bags and divided a can of pineapple juice between them.  Put them in the fridge.  7 hours later they were still fresh and crisp with no taste of pineapple.  Put the leftovers back in the fridge and checked them this morning . . .  still fresh and no taste.

So glad to find this!

Stacey

False
  • Re: I found a new and better way to keep sliced apples from turning brown
    What a great find... thanks.
    False

Denise

Thanks, Stacey.

That's a great to tip. Trying hard to imprint it into my memory cells.

False

Yep, I love pineapple juice for keeping my apples fresh looking.  I will even use the fresh juice from my cut pineapples and use them with the apples for DH's apples in his lunch.  Works great.

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

This is great to know. Thanks for sharing.

False

Am keeping this neat tip in my files. Thanks.
    False

I have heard that using sprite also works.

False

I just checked them 24  hours later and they look fresh cut.  I think I will go make the Apple Betty that Kim posted.

False

I work in a deli at a high school and I make fruit boats and fruit kabobs everyday.  I use half pineapple juice and half water

or half water and half mandarin oranges juice

it doesn't have to be full strength

they still look fresh the next day

False

Hi, thanks so much for the tip. I have just one question (probably a dumb one), but once you take them out of the bag of pineapple juice can you set them out on a plate for a little while and them stay looking good?

Thanks again.

Jill

False

Good question Jill, but I'll bet you can.  I slice my apples into a water/lemon juice solution then bag them but not in the solution.  They are just fine but I use them quickly so I will definitely keep the pineapple juice in mind.  I'll be anxious to hear what she has to say.  GREAT tip!  Big Smile

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

I've used fresca and sprite on them before but never pineapple juice.  Thanks for the tip.

False

Sorry, I don't have an answer for that.  Last night I poured them into a big bowl and kept some of the juice on them.  I have some left over (I just made Casslepiers Apple Betty) so I will get some out and watch them for a bit to see what happens.  I'll keep you posted.  :-)

False

Great.....thanks.  It will be nice to know especially when having a party with a pretty fruit plate set out with apples, pears and or bananas. 

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Stacey,

What's a caramel apple bar by the way...?????

False