Mexican Vanilla | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mexican Vanilla

Last post Sep 13, 2004 11:31 PM by verushka . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Mexican Vanilla
    We had a long discussion some time ago on this board about different types of Mexican Vanilla. A vendor was selling some at the fair and I bought a 1 liter bottle for $10. The label says Danncy Vainilla then some writing in Mexican. It smells wonderful. The vendor said it has a very strong flavor, most people use half the amount called for because of the flavor. Is anyone familiar with this brand?
    False
  • RE: Mexican Vanilla
    My DD just went to Mexico and she has me two big bottles of vanilla, one clear and one dark. I haven't had any Mexican vanilla before so I am looking forward to trying it when she brings it to me! She said it was a very cheap price for vanilla.
    False
    When we were in Mexico I bought several bottles of Mexican Vanilla and it is wonderful vanilla. It does not bake out. What I bought was Orlando Pure Natural Vanilla. Sorry I can't help you any more than that.
    False
    I should have added, I know they have different qualitites of vanilla......what we bought was a high quality vanilla.
    False
    We're fortunate enough to have 2 Mexican groceries in my small home town in northern Indiana. I'm able to buy Mexican vanilla all of the time. I have Molina brand. It is an 8.4 oz bottle and I paid $2.49 for it. I really like using the Mexican vanilla.

Before anyone admonishes me about Mexican vanilla the bottle I have says it does not contain coumarin!!! Carol
    False

Carol

Danncy is my favorite!!! I just look for the rooster on the label to remember the brand....i have both the clear and the dark...both are great!! They have such an unusual vanilla flavor that you can only get from the mexican vanilla....it is a MUST for making the Texas Sheet Cake!!!! If you live in a state that gets Blue Bell ice cream, try the Dos Amigos flavor...they use mexican vanilla it is and it is to die for! Hope you love your vanilla as much as we do down here in Texas!
    False
    casf, What is that ingrediant that you are talking about? I'm curious.
    False
    Courmarin has something to do with coumadin, a blood thinner. I am currently taking 7 mg of coumadin once a day to prevent blood clots after my knee surgery. Using a teaspoon of vanilla in a recipe even if it did contain courmarin wouldn't really effect medication very much IMO. You'd have to eat an awful lot of food containing courmarin to effect your system, I would think. Carol
    False

Carol

don't cut your finger on anything Carol. yikes!
    False
    Hey Jenni haven't seen you around for awhile. Last week I was taking 8 mg of coumadin. I have blood tests done twice a week to check on it. I should be off of it after next Thursday when I go get my stictches out. Besides I prick my finger twice a day for my blood sugar tests! Carol
    False

Carol

I have the Molina brand, too, because that's all the Mexican store had. Going on a cruise to Mexico in Nov. and hope to find some of the clear vanilla there. I had some years ago and liked it because it wouldn't darken frostings, ect. Don't think the flavor was any different than the dark though. The Mexican vanilla makes a world of difference in home made ice cream. Won't use anything else anymore.
    Elizabeth
    False
    I LOVE the Mexican Vanilla. Even at half the amount, you can't beat it for flavor.

Make sure you keep your clear Mexican Vanilla in a dark corner or cupboard, or you'll soon have the dark vanilla.
    False
    Goldybear: Thanks for the info. My bottle does have the rooster on top. I got the dark colored vanilla, they also had the clear. This will last me forever, but I am just thrilled to have it, after buy McCormick brand for a small fortune, this was a steal! I am going to have to dig out my recipe for Vanilla Muffins!
    False
    As an ex Texan, I have a large bottle of the Danncy Vanilla in my cupboard right now. It is fantastic but very strong so be warned. I love it and have been using it for years!

Hope this helps.
    Becky
    False
    I've been using Mexican Vanilla for about 10 years. I use 1/2 of the amount called for in my baking and it is wonderful. Another GREAT use for it is to dab some on a papertowel and rub it around your face, neck, ears and arms when you're outside if the knats are bothering you. With this stuff on, they will leave you alone. I've been using it for years. Only way I could get in and tend to my garden without getting bit up.
    False