Your best WOW, Knock-Your-Socks-Off Thanksgiving desserts | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Your best WOW, Knock-Your-Socks-Off Thanksgiving desserts

Last post Nov 15, 2010 6:53 AM by CookieCarol . 35 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 123
  • Your best WOW, Knock-Your-Socks-Off Thanksgiving desserts

My daughter is going to her in-laws for Thanksgiving and wants to take a couple of "WOW, Knock-Your-Socks-Off" Desserts as her contribution to dinner. What do you have you can share? Thanks in advance!

False
    Toni Gommy of 5
  • Re: Your best WOW, Knock-Your-Socks-Off Thanksgiving desserts
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Pumpkin-Gingerbread-Trifle There are several Pumpkin Trifles on this board, check the search. They make a large and very impressive looking dessert. This recipe calls for a gingerbread cake but you can use a spice cake, yellow cake, and I have even used left over bran muffins. It calls for vanilla pudding but now you can buy pumpkin pudding mix. Cheesecake pudding is also good. This is a very versatile recipe and it will WOW the crowd......and taste wonderful! You can also make it using sugar free pudding, topping, etc. I usually add 1 tsp (or more) pumpkin pie spice to the pudding and pumpkin mix.
    False

NO BAKE BANANA CHEESECAKE PIE 

1 cup flour
    1 cup hazelnuts, pecans, OR walnuts, finely chopped
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 - 8 ounce carton Cool Whip, thawed (divided)
    3 to 4 firm, ripe bananas - sliced
    1 - 3.4 ounce package INSTANT vanilla pudding mix
    1-1/3 cups cold milk (used 2% without a problem)

CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie plate. Mix flour, nuts, and butter. Press into prepared pie plate. Bake 25 minutes. Cool completely.

LAYER 1: Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar. Fold in 1 cup Cool Whip. Spread over pie crust.

LAYER 2: Lay sliced bananas over cream cheese mixture.

LAYER 3: Whisk milk and instant pudding mix for 2 minutes. Spoon over bananas.

LAYER 4: Gently spread Cool Whip over pudding layer.

Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours before serving.

False

ORANGE DREAMSICLE CAKE

PART 1

1 BOX DUNCAN HINES ORANGE SUPREME CAKE MIX

1 BOX 3OZ ORANGE JELLO

MIX AND SIFT THESE

PART 2

1/3 CUP COOKING OIL OR SOFT MARGARINE

2 EGGS

1-1/2 CUP WATER(OR ORANGE JUICE)I USE THE JUICE

PUT PART 2 ON TOP OF PART 1

MIX WELL WITH MIXER.

GREASE AND FLOURER CAKE PANS

BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 20 TO 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL IT COMES LOOSE FROM SIDES.COOL

ICING:

1 8OZ SOUR CREAM

1/4 TO1/2 CUP ORANGE JUICE

1CUP SUGAR

1 8OZ COOL WHIP

1 9OZ FROZEN COCONUT(Can Use flake Coconut are leave it out)

MIX ALL WELL WITH MIXER.AND ICING COOL CAKE.STORE IN REFRIGERATE

Tip: The last time I made the Icing I only used 2 Tablespoons of OJ and it was not runny and when on the cake better.

Simply Superb Pecan Pie

3 Eggs,Beaten

1 Cup Sugar

1/2 Cup Dark Corn Syrup(I Use Karo's)

1 teaspoon Vanilla

6 Tablespoons butter or margarine,melted and cooled

1 Cup Pecan Pieces or Halves

1 ( 9-inch) unbaked Pie Shell

In large bowl,beat eggs,sugar,corn syrup,vanilla and butter.Stir in pecans.Pour into unbaked pie shell.Bake in preheated 350 degress oven 45 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between outside and center comes out clean.Cool on wire rack.Tip: I would check the pie for doness after it bakes 45 minutes and go from there on cooking it.

Family Tradition Jello Delite(I've been making this for 20 years)

1 Large box cherry jello

Make my box direction and put in a 9x 13 inch casserole dish.Let set up really good.

Topping:

1-Large can crushed pineapple

1 1/4-Sticks margarine

1 1/2-Cups sugar

1-8oz pk walnuts

3 Eggs beaten

3-Tablesppons flour

1 1/2-2 Cup coconut

Graham crackers

While jello is setting up make topping.Combine all ingredients excepted graham crackers.and cook until thick.Let cool really good.Then put a layer of graham cracker's on top of jello.Then a layer of topping.Then another layer of graham cracker's ending with topping.Refrigerate.

Tip:Make sure jello is set up good and topping is completely cool .I get request every hoilday to make this.It is so good.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

M_wolverine posted this. It's really good. I brought it to work and five people wanted the recipe. I'll use more apples next time, but that's a personal preference.

Toffee Apple and Honey Trifle

2 loaves pound cakes (plain is best)
    6 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup butter
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
    2 cups whipping cream
    14 ounces cream cheese
    1/3 cup honey
    1 box vanilla instant pudding mix
    1 bag hershey Skor English toffee bits (or Heath chips)

Prepare the various layers of the trifle so they are all ready to assemble together.
    Slice the pound cakes down the middle length-wise, then slice each loaf into 10-12 slices, resulting in 20-24 cubes per loaf, a maximum of 48 cubes.
    Saute the apples in the butter until soft.
    Add the cinnamon and mix well to coat all the apple slices.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the whipping cream, cream cheese, honey and vanilla pudding.
    Toss the Skor bits into the food processor and whirl until finely chopped.
    Now assemble the trifle in a large clear bowl with straight (ish) sides.
    This makes a large quantity so you may have up to three layers.
    First lay down a layer of cake cubes Then cover with the sauteed apples.
    Then cover with a generous layer of whipped cream.
    Then sprinkle with a layer of ground Skor bits.
    Repeat the layers until all the ingredients have been used up, ending in a layer of Skor bits.

False

PUMPKIN PECAN LAYER CAKE
    Three layers of festive fall flavors create this memorable cake.

Preparation 30 min.
    Baking 25 min.
    Cooling 30 min.
    Cake Ingredients:
    • 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
    • 1 cup chopped pecans
    • 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, melted
    • 1 (18.25-ounce) package carrot cake mix
    • 1 cup cooked pumpkin
    • 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, melted
    • 3 eggs
    • 2 tablespoons water
    Filling Ingredients:
    • 3 cups powdered sugar
    • 2/3 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
    • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
    Garnish Ingredients:
    • 1 cup pecan halves

• Instructions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine crushed wafers, chopped pecans and 1/2 cup melted butter in large bowl until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly and firmly on bottom of 3 greased and floured 8 or 9-inch round cake pans.

Combine cake mix, pumpkin, 1/4 cup melted butter, eggs and water in same bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Spread about 1 1/2 cups batter over crumbs in each pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.

Combine powdered sugar, 2/3 cup butter, cream cheese and vanilla in small bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth.

Layer 3 cake layers on serving plate, nut-side down, with 1/2 cup filling spread between each layer. With remaining filling, frost sides only of cake. Spread caramel topping over top of cake, drizzling some over frosted sides. Arrange pecan halves in rings on top of cake. Store refrigerated.

TIP: To remove cake easily from pan, place wire cooling rack on top of cake and invert; repeat with remaining layers.

False

Layered Strawberry Cake

Follow the directions of a  Strawberry Cake mix according to the directions on the box. It's either Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines who carries the Strawberry Cake mix. Pour contents in a greased 9 x 13 cake pan. Let it cool. Poke holes in it. Then follow the directions of a large strawberry jello mix. And pour over the cake. Refrigerate. Take 2 quarts of Strawberries and clean and slice. Lay one layer on top of the cake/jello. Then ice with a container of thawed cool whip. Layer another layer of Strawberries on top. Refrigerate overnight. Serve next day! And everyone will enjoy this refreshing dessert.

I make the chocolate version of this dessert.

FOUR LAYER CHOCOLATE PUDDING DESSERT  
    1 cup flour
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1/2 cup melted butter
    8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 cup Cool Whip
    1 small pkg. instant chocolate pudding
    1 small pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    4 cups milk, divided
    Combine flour, nuts and butter. Mix well. Press into bottom only of 13x9 in. baking dish.

Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Cool completely.

Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar until well blended. Fold in the Cool Whip. Spread over the crust and chill.

Prepare chocolate pudding as directed on pkg. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill completely.

Prepare vanilla pudding (You can add some peanutbutter to make this a peanutbutter flavored pudding to make it like a reeses peanutbutter cup. Or you can just mix another box of chocolate pudding to keep it all pudding dessert. You can also subsitute both chocolate and vanilla for a banana pudding with sliced banana's)as directed on pkg. Pour over chocolate pudding. Chill completely.

Spread additional Cool Whip over top

False

Pumpkin Torte`

• 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup margarine, melted
  • 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 3 tablespoons ground walnuts
  • Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs and margarine. Evenly press into prepared pan to form a crust.
    3. Blend together the cream cheese, eggs and sugar; evenly spread over crust and bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside to cool.
    4. In a 2 quart saucepan, combine the pumpkin, egg yolks, milk, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
    5. Place gelatin in a small bowl and soften 2 to 3 minutes in cold water. Mix in boiling water to dissolve. Stir into the pumpkin mixture.
    6. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar; beat until stiff. Fold into pumpkin mixture and pour over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours, and cut into squares. Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with walnuts.
False

This isn't as Thanksgivingy as the apple one I posted, but this is also really good. I always add more fruit than the recipe calls for.

Chocolate and Fruit Trifle

Chocolate and Fruit Trifle
    This refreshing dessert layered with devil's food cake, a creamy pudding mixture, red berries and green kiwi is perfect for the holidays. I like making it in a clear glass trifle bowl to show off its festive colors. -Angie Dierikx, State Center, Iowa
    12-16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling

Ingredients

• 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
    • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
    • 1 cup cold water
    • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
    • 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
    • 2 tablespoons orange juice
    • 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
    • 2 cups fresh raspberries
    • 2 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped

Directions

• Prepare cake batter according to package directions; pour into a
    • greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20
    • minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
    • clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Crumble enough cake to
    • measure 8 cups; set aside. (Save remaining cake for another use.)
    • In a large bowl, whisk the milk, water and pudding mix for 2 minutes.
    • Let stand for two minutes or until soft-set. Fold in the whipped
    • cream.
    • To assemble, spread 2-1/2 cups pudding mixture in a 4-qt. glass bowl.
    • Top with half of the crumbled cake; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon
    • orange juice. Arrange half of the berries and kiwi over cake.
    • Repeat pudding and cake layers; sprinkle with remaining orange juice.
    document.write(''); Click here to find out more!

2 of 2

Chocolate and Fruit Trifle (continued)

Directions (continued)

• Top with remaining pudding mixture. Spoon remaining fruit around
    • edge of bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16
    • servings.
    False

Like minds---this is on the list for my house this year, too! We love the Chocolat Pecan Praline Layer Cake, so thought I would go with the Pumpkin this year!

False
    Toni Gommy of 5

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I will compile a list for her later when I feel most who want to add a recipe have done so. My mouth is watering already!!!

False
    Toni Gommy of 5

Paula Deens recipe for Mystery Pecan Pie is a must here for Thanksgiving,  It has a cream cheese layer baked inside that makes it yummy,  Daughter is turning 18 and she said her cake had to be just like last year,  chocolate cake,  middle layer peanut butter pie filling then for frosting a chocolate truffle filling that I whipped. 

Debbie

False

Debbie would you please post the recipe you made for your daughter - PLEASE! I read that chocolate cake,peanut butter pie filling and a chocolate truffle frosting! My mouth is still drooling....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

Our family likes Apple Dews - but I don't use nuts due to allergies for some and no teeth for others....

piggykins

Apple Dews

2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (lower fat crescents)

2 Large fresh apples

1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (Splenda brown Sugar)

2 sticks butter (used can't believe it's not butter)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon lemon (added Zest) or 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice)

1 teaspoon Saigon Cinnamon

1 can Mountain Dew (12-ounce or 1 1/2 cups)

1 1/2 cups of toasted pecans

Seperate crescent rolls. Roll 1 pieces of fresh apples in Crescent roll, starting with the large end. Put in pan (9x13") sprayed with non-stick oil.

Boil together: Butter and brown sugar for about 7 minutes, remove from heat and add Cinnamon, lemon and vanilla. Pour over dumplings. Sprinkle about 1 1/2 cup of toasted pecans over the top (if desired). Pour 1 can Mountain Dew over dumplings.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired!

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

Easy but oh so good Thanksgiving dessert.  Serve this instead of pumpkin pie!

PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE posted by thehappycooker_AZ

1 (29-ounce)can pumpkin puree
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
    4 eggs
    1-1/2 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 (18.5-ounce) package yellow cake mix
    1 cup pecans, chopped
    1 cup margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix well and spread into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture and pat down. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of the cake mix. Then drizzle the melted margarine over the top.

Bake for 1 hour until knife comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping if desired.

Photobucket
    False