How do you prefer your egg nog? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you prefer your egg nog?

Last post Nov 29, 2010 6:29 AM by ScottsGrace . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • How do you prefer your egg nog?

Since we've moved to Germany there are many new things (mainly foods) that I am experiencing. During the Christmas season they serve many interesting items in the Christmas Markets. One of those items being Eierpunsch or Egg Nog. It's not the same as what we're used to in the US. Their nog was hot and loaded with amaretto! Too much for my taste...although the smell of spiked vanilla custard wafting up to my nose was quite pleasant...it was just too strong for me.

So I was wondering how you like your nog? Cold, Plain, Loaded with Nutmeg, Warm, With Cinnamon and cloves? Do you make it home made or do you prefer a specific brand?

This week I am going to make some home made for the first time but I will miss United Dairy Farmers Egg Nog until we make it home for Christmas! 

Sound off on the NOG!!

Cheers!

Shannon

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

• Re: How do you prefer your egg nog?

in the carton.....lol....I do not like eggnog.....now my husband loves it...and this year Kroger has had pumpkin spiced nog....he really likes that.....and cold plain

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Shelley - I've never heard of pumpkin eggnog...not a fan of pumpkin but I'd try it!

Does anyone have a good recipe for eggnog?

False

This is the best egg nog I have ever had. I don't know how easy it is to get Southern Comfort in Germany. I'm not a big driker, so I don't know how well another bourbon would work, but this is a seriously good egg nog.

6 eggs (I always use pasturized  to be on the safe side)
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cup whipped cream
    1 cup cream
    1 cup milk
    2 cups Southern Comfort
    Nutmeg

Chill liquids before mixing. Separate egg white/yolks. Beat yolks, add sugar. Stir in whipped cream, milk, cream and Southern Comfort. Beat egg whites; fold in. Dust with nutmeg. Chill. 10 Servings.

Remember your egg whites will whip up stiffer at room temp.

False

Shannon I LOVE eggnog!!! Of course i have only had what the stores sell at holiday times. But I like it cold and I always mix in some reg. milk to cut the richness.

For Thanksgiving i made Eggnog Cream Pies from a recipe here on TOH. They were a huge hit!!!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Eggnog-Cream-Pies 

I tried making eggnog fudge before, but it didn't turn out....I also make eggnog snickerdoodles every year...they actually don't have eggnog in them, just the spices.

Eggnog is also good in your coffee. :)

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I am going to amke foodguy's recipe.....sounds yummy. Usually I like mine cold. Normally don't put alcohol in it. My issue with store bought is the corn syrupy taste - it is just overwhelming. I am not anti-corn syrup, by the way.

False

So, cookguy, you don't cook this eggnog? I'm a little leary of the raw egg thing - especially in a foreign country. Hmmm. I wonder if I could make this by cooking the eggs in the milk and cream on a really low temp without ruining the flavor. 

Jet, I love it too but I've had some nog that just wasn't as good as others. I'm going to check out that pie recipe!!

S

False

I do not eat fast food much any longer - but I remember years ago when Arby's had an egg nog milk shake - and boy did I like that!

False

With rum!

False

I make mine with vanilla pudding mix instead of eggs! It tastes the same but you don't have to worry about the raw eggs. However I can no longer have dairy so I make it with soy milk. You use French Vanilla instant pudding and thin it out withthe milk. Add the nutmeg and it tastes real good! Chris

False

I do the same thing as cfnier.  I use French vanilla pudding and add about 8 cups of milk, add nutmeg,  shake and refrigerate.  It's really good!!! My grandkids really like it. 

False

No you don't cook it. That is why I use the pasturized eggs. I've been told the alcohol cooks the eggs anyway, but not being a scientist I don't know how true that really is.

Just so you know, this doesn't taste like the store bought kind. I like that as well, but the taste is very different from the home made.

False

I like that instant pudding idea...I don't know if we have it available over here or not. Thanks everyone for the info and the recipes...any more out there?

S

False