December PCH *********** Merry Christmas!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

December PCH *********** Merry Christmas!!!

Last post Dec 31, 2010 8:02 PM by dangit . 79 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 6 (80 items) 12345Last >
  • Re: Merry Christmas!! December PCH *********** Come and join us!!

Debbie, I am so glad you are home and could post. What an experience. Hope your kidneys keep functioning. Take care.

Ann, we are just getting rain, which is fine with me. Better than freezing. Nutcracker was very nice. I had never seen the nutcracker before so the story was new to me. There was a couple of guests profressional ballet dancers in it so that was nice to see. When the prince and Clara were traveling around the world the Russian Dancer and the Arabian dancer were really fast. Arabian dancer spun around like a top. Not just a couple of spins but more. Wow!

Wishing Each Fullfilling Day and Restful Nights.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Hi Gals, went for lab work this morning. Finally got lab for blood platletts sp that Dr was supposed to put in computer in August. Got my flu shot. DD took me to get DGS, DGD next door Christmas presents.

Hope everyone is taking those rest breaks and keeping warm.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Good to see you are home Debbie. You behave yourself and drink lots of water. Put a half gallon in the frig and drink it all every day. That way you will know exactly how much you are drinking. I'm a good one to talk....I don't drink until I am thirsty and from what people say if you wait that long you are already starting to dehydrate. I need to take my own advice.

Our friend left early on Thanksgiving day after dinner as she said she wasn't feeling well. We were at another friend's house for dinner. She went to the clinic the next day and found out after hours there and mucho tests she was dehydrated. It must be going around! 

Warmed up today as it is cloudy. Had some rain during the night and it is supposed to begin again and hang around until next week. Ugh!

Off soon to the Golden Corral. Don't feel like cooking tonight.

I made some apricot/pecan mini tarts today but used walnuts. I never have pecans on hand unless I buy them for a specific recipe. I will make buttermilk candy on Thurs. and orange chocolate chunk cookies on Fri. to take to our friend's Christmas open house on Sat. Still haven't figured out how I got conned into that one!   lol  Will proberably take the mini tarts, too. Duane won't eat them and I'm not about to try and consume all 24 of them. Will freeze what comes home.

Was going to lay out the ceramic nativity scene of the table today but the day got away from me. Do have the box out of storage though so that counts for something!!

Laveda....I've never seen the Nutcracker either. Not too fond of ballet. Seattle has one every year in Benaroyal Hall and my friend says it is very well done.

Gotta change my clothes. See ya.

False

Good day Ladies,

Thought I would give posting another try this morning before the day gets to busy. Seems like everytime I sit down to type one thing or the other comes up. *sigh*.............Bill has taken a cold so you know how that is ladies. LOL..nooooooo one has ever had one worse. *grin*

Debbie sure is good to see you home again and so happy that you are not going to be having to do the dialysis. Just keep that water handy and sip away!! I have a 38oz container that come from a convenient store that keeps my water cold. Call it my jug-a-lug and is always within reach. Its filled with ice and some water several times a day and once for night.....its so easy to get dehydrated if we just drink when we are thirsty.............now you get better and get well hon, remember Santa Clause is comeing to town. :>)

Deery glad that you made it to see the Nutcracker. And what fun for them to have a couple of professional ballet dancers as well. Have not seen a ballet performance live in years but always enjoyed them. Now to be honest its the opra that does not turn me on too much........however there has been a couple that was not tooo bad sitting through. LOL...........is it still raining in your area? We could sure use some here. Read in the paper that the burn ban is back on here its so dry.

Liz sounds like you will be takeing some real good yummies to the open house. Have not tasted the buttermilk candy in years but remember it was real good. Since we sold our place on the river we no longer have pecan trees so have been useing lots more walnuts as well. Here in our area the price of pecans has sky rocketed. The fellow that we bought ours from this year said that most of all our crops are being sent to China which is limiting the amount there is to sell here. Oh don't you just love this free trade.*sigh*

Ann are you just about rested up from the Bazaar and all of the work you put into to it? I know the library has to be so grateful for all of the work you put into it. Glad to hear that you sold some of your goodies as well.........are you just about ready for Christmas? its been slow going here but did finely get the tree up. ">)

Lin do hope that you are feeling better now that the doctors know more what is causing your allergies to act up. But sure happy for you that you can still have your bacon. LOL Thats a fave of mine as well. Sure hard to beat a good BLT once in a while. *yummm*

Sure hope our Connie girl checks in soon and lets us know how she is. Getting worried about our sweet friend.

Dropped Ruth a note but it bounced back so she much either have a new email addy or I had not gotten rid of her old one.

Well today will be trying to get more of the Christmas decorations put out. Its the old case of do a little a sit a little but sooner or later it gets done. LOL

Sending hellos out to all of those I missed and will peek in later.

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Nancy...my email to Ruth came back, too.

Got the buttermilk candy made this morning....reserved two pieces for us the rest went on a plate and is wrapped up. Will give it to her tonight at church and that way it is out of the house and out of temptation. Also have to loan her two crock pots, my clippers....she's clipping some small evergreen branches for something or other and my rum flavoring. Will either take the cookies over on Fri as we will be in the area or just go early to the open house and take them then. This morning I told her...why don't we just have it here at my house beings I am dragging half the house over there? She laughed.

We are having that off and on weather today. one minute it is sunny and the next the wind and rain comes up. Heard a huge clap of thunder this morning that really startled me.

Hope your holiday planning is coming along nicely. Isn't it a shame so much time and fuss ahead of time and it is over with in 12 hours!

False

Hi Gals, dark and rainy here. No sun breaks at all. Keeping you Kitchen Gals in my prayers.

Liz, sounds like a busy time for you. I didn't know their was such a thing as buttermilk candy except for you mentioning it in the past. What does it turn out like? Fudge or toffee?

Nancy, how is your finger doing?

Hope everyone is just busy and not sick.

Debbie, how are you doing?

Connie, will Kerry be home for Christmas?

Ann, how is your weather? How are you and Jim's colds?

Lin, are you feeling any better? Still having problems posting?

Ruth, hope you are doing okay. Did you get Internet at Phil's home?

Dee and Lisa, hope you Gals have a nice Christmas with family and are staying warm.

Circle hugs,

Deery

False

*coming in with my head hanging* Sorry ladies it has been so long, life is keeping me busy and then again not. I am so sorry to hear that Debbie has been sick and then poor Lin and her allergies, to not enjoy and tuna sandwich!! Just kidding Lin, but I do loveee a good tuna salad sandwich, salmon, well it is ok but would not miss that. *smile* Nancy Nancy, I tell ya, I hope you are feeling better lady, you all have been on my mind, then I clear cookies and toh makes me log in and I  do not for the life of me know my password by heart, so have to look it out, dig my book from under my papers I say, then get side tracked, I have a tendancy to buy and look at these new darned recipe books, like we need more of those right? LOL. I got out a couple days and worked in my yard, mowed, left blowed for a few hours, got out the next day and blew the rest of my whole front yard, now many of you have seen how big my front yard is right? After that my right arm was so sore it was almost unusuable, how stupid I was. Boy, to lift a glass, I had to lean forward to help my right hand grasp the glass with the left, lift to drink or sip, then put it back down and lean back. Lord it hurt to lift a roll of toilet paper, Kerry laughed at that one. Kerry is doing fine, working himself silly, so his days fly past and he falls asleep with the tv watching him if he even turns it on. No Deery he won't be home for Christmas but will get to talk to him via Skype, like on Thanksgving, so he was here kind of right? He loved seeing the kids and the grandsons, how they have grown up!! Melissa has connected with Skype as well and I heard a voice and not the picture, I just knew a call was coming in from  "Harris", I am sure it said Melissa but did not know she had connected with Skype, so when I heard "Hiiii MeMawwwww" my mouth dropped and then I heard Melissa laughing, they sure surprised me. Ahhh I have needed these calls lately. My sister, yes Donna, she is holding her own, I get updates from my BIL Gale, her husband and for that I am appreciative. She has her good and bad days, apparently yesterday was good, today was terrible, congestive heart failure is really affecting her. Her pacemaker needs to be replaced in Jan, they say that the battery will quit then? But I know she will or at least now, is not strong enough for surgery. I did the hardest thing I ever had to do I think, I wrote her a last letter, saying good bye while she has been alert enough to know what I was saying, Gale read it to her, crying. Boy the tears I shed writing it, but I am at peace, our former pastor has been a great comfort praying with me for Donna. I appreciate all you ladies comforting words and prayers for my sister too. I pray for peace now for my sister and her to not be in pain, I so do not want her to suffer. She was not eating for some time, now they do not have her on a schedule, the kitchen or whoever will fix her something to eat anytime they can get her to take  bite or so, she is starting to take a few drinks of fluids. I just feel it is going to be time, but not knowing when, but I pray it does not fall on a holiday, we buried my Mom years ago on Christmas Eve. Mom had said before she died, she wanted to be home for Christmas, ahhhh the song "I'll be Home for Christmas" I could not listen to it for years, now the heart strings tighten  and I pray I don't cry in public. Yeah this is a kind of sad time for me this year, gosh missing Kerry, but hey that crazy man wants to to put up this big honker of a Christmas tree I bought a couple years ago. Sheeshhhh! I may do it tomorrow when I have nothing to do? Yeah right! I have to cook for a big dinner at the church Sunday, adult Christmas Cantata, then dedication of the new youth building we had built when we will have our Christmas dinner as well, and then evening services is the childrens Christmas cantata and puppet show, that is always so fun to watch those kids. Liz is the one who tracked me down today, found her message on my machine so I called her back, then I called Lisa to track her down, she hasn't been able to log in, and she can't remember her information so she is going to have to re connect somehow, probably like me, create a new account? I asked about Ruthie and apparently she has disconnected her internet since moving and won't be able to get hooked with internet for maybe even months. I am presuming because of living in such a small town and maybe a list or something, no idea to be honest. Ladies I have chattered way to much, bored to tears yet? LOL. But I wanted to check in and ohhhh by the way, Deery I loved the picture you sent, you look the same as you did when I first met you lady, very very good picture! Ann hope you get some rest and you all in that part of the woods stay warm, Dee sent me a "picture" of snow when I told her to send me some snow, some friend she is, I wanted the REAL  thing, so long as I can stay in the house and just look at it. Take care ladies and will not be such a bad girl and stay away so long, hugs all around, have a blessed Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.  Connie

False

Oh Connie, girl, its sure good to see your sweet little face. Was getting worried about you. Good that Liz tracked you down. :>)

Now what is this about you weed eating until you got your arms too sore to lift the toidy paper. Now we can't have that. LOL Bet Kerry did get a good laugh at that but just bet a scolding to not work so hard was in order as well. :>)

Good that they are not trying to keep Donna on a schedule for meals. To be able to have a few bites when she is up to it is so much easier on her. Prays continueing for Donna and for her comfort.

What fun for the church to have a Christmas cantata and puppet show with the children. They are always so sweet performing at Christmas. Their little faces just seem to light up. :>) Enjoy the dinner at the church and do try not to get to worn out cooking for it. Know you always take such great goodies..........tell that Lisa and Dee I am sending them hugs next time you talk with them. Sure can understand that problem with getting on the site. I have finely just ignored Norton and log on even though they do keep telling me its not safe. If no one else is having problems with this site then I sure should not.....right. LOL

Deery thank you for your sweet cards and the pretty picture. Connie is right you look just the same as the first picture I have of you.....well maybe a little younger. :>) Oh yes , the finger is much better. Just a little tender at times.

Liz I copied your butter milk fudge recipe and since you can use a mixer to do all of that beating I plan on giving it a go if I can remember to buy some buttermilk. Have been using the dry kind for cooking so have not bought fresh in a while.

Debbie do hope that you are on the mend and feeling better.

Lin are you feeling any better? Do hope that the infection is clearing up for you.

Ann are you and Jim feeling any better? Those colds are hard to get rid of. Bill has one now and since I have not had my flu shot yet, am trying to stay clear of him. :>)

Better hush for now and head into the kitchen. Smells like dinner needs my attention.............but like my old granny said. " If it brown its cooking and if its black its done." *giggle*

Sending hellos to all I missed this trip. and wishing all a safe and enjoyable weekend

nite nite

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Whew I thought I was gonna get a complex, I posted and no one around, *giggles* thought I ran u all off with the chatty cathy routine. Nancy I was using the danged leaf blower that was the killer on the right arm, I think I will name that thing "killer", ughhh will be a long while before I do that again. And yes Kerry got a laugh, remember with Skype we can see one another, so he was making fun of my having to hold my glass with two hands too, hehe. I went to Lake Charles to Sams today, had not been there in forever and honestly don't care if I don't go again, middle of the day, I mean 1 pm and everyone was there!!! Why were they not at work? I think everyone and their brother was there, that is why I spent to much, could not move through the store fast enough and things fell inton my basket, yep I think I will stick to that story. LOL. Bought a huge cake today, but it was 4 kinds of cakes, a quarter of a cake in each divided section, like their cheesecakes use to be like, except just 4 quarter sections, not in slices either, it had Italian creme, German Chocolate, Red Velvet and Double Fudge, I bought it for Annas birthday and took it to her this evening since I won't be seeing them tomorrow or Sunday, just busy days. Chicken is cooking on the stove now and i will mix up my pie crust dough this evening before I go to bed, it will keep in the refrigerater up to two weeks, but will be making the apple cobbler tomorrow morning, then dumplings for the chicken tomorrow afternoon or night. Of course other goodies too. What a time we would all have if we were to get together and see who would come up with what or bring what ever. Hope Bill gets to feeling better soon Nancy and that you don't get the bug from him, I know it goes and goes around. Well I had better get back to the kitchen and get busy with the dough, have a wonderful weekend ladies. Night

False

Hi Girls,

Connie, was great to talk to you the other day!!  I meant to get in hear to tell the girls that you were doing o.k., just hiding under a pile of leaves! Stick out tongue  LOL  Easy on those arms chickie!!  That cake that you got Anna was a neat idea, then she can have some of each.  Hope all goes well on Sunday with the church function, bet it will be a nice time.  Keeping your sister Donna and your family in my thoughts and prayers, know this is a very difficult time.  (((Connie)))

Deery, got your card today, what a lovely picture, so glad to see what you look like!!!  Loved the little recipe book in your Christmas card, that was neat.  It has been dark and gloomy here as well.  Has been raining off and on for quite a few days.  Glad your doctor got your platelette counts all situated, long time and coming huh.  Jim and I are doing much better, almost completely gone which is wonderful.  How are you doing?  Did  you get all your Christmas shopping done when you went with your DD?  I am done except maybe a small present for Jim.

Nancy, glad to hear that your finger is feeling better.  Such a sensitive place because we use the fingers all of the time.  Sorry to hear Bill has a cold, tell him I said to feel better soon.  How is little foxy doing?  Keeping you all company and on your toes I am sure. Big Smile  You have a german sheppard as well don't you?  Our little tootie is declining, coughing alot, even with the lasix. :(  Going to take her up to see the visiting vet next wed.

Lin, Debbie, Dee, Lisa, Liz and anyone who I may have forgotten, hope everyone is doing well.  Lin, sorry to hear about your food allergies, that is a bummer but at least you know what was causing all the problems. 

Well have been busy here as usual, to date I have made peanut butter balls, coconut truffles, cookie dough truffles, dark choc truffles, cherry patties, peppermint patties, choc fudge with walnuts, peanut butter fudge, gould munch and chex mix phew.  I am pooped just typing it.   I had some problems with my fudge this year grrr, I usually make Never Fail choc fudge, it was hard on the top and looked yucky, and made from the board Dorothy's peanut butter fudge and it was crumbly.  I never had this happen before, just plain ticked me off to waste all of that ingredients.  I tried another recipe today with marshmallows instead of marshmallow cream and it came out wonderful.  Also made a big pot of , well it's called "Apple Pie"  which is an alcoholic drink, good stuff mixed with eggnog or just plain sipping because you can't taste the alcohol in it.Tongue Tied  We give that out to some of our friends for Christmas as well as goodies.  I also made some EggNog quick bread to use up some eggnog we had left.  I am done, I think. LOL Everytime I say that I just have to try this one recipe...  Jim and I are both better from our colds, thank goodness.  I hate being sick on top of all the other things I have to deal with.  Well I think your ears are all about to fall off because I have jabbered so long.  You all have a nice weekend and don't over due...  Hugs, Ann

False

Hi Nancy, Connie and Ann and rest of Kitchen Gals. Hope all are doing as well as possible. Hear big snow storm is going thru mid west northern states. Hope Dee and Dave are keeping warm and safe. We are expecting another week of rain. Supposed to get record rain this weekend and Monday.

Connie, was sure glad to see your post. Know you are going thru a lot right now. (((((Connie))))

Nancy, hope you do not catch what Bill has. Glad your finger is doing better.

Hi Ann, glad you and Jims colds are better. What a lot of Goodies you have made. I know fudge doesn't always turn out when their is too much moisture in the air.

I went with family to the Community Christmas Program last night. They have it to get food for the needy Christmas baskets. The Dance Studio was some of the entertainment. The beginners performed. DGD was only experienced dancer available so she did Waltz of the Flowers alone. She was beautiful. Got a lot of compliments after from people she didn't know. A boy scout quartet sang Christmas songs. They were good. And Methodist Church Choir sang some Christmas songs. An a man reads the Night Before Christmas to the children. And Santa gave out gifts to children after entertainment.

Wishing All a nice rest of the weekend.

Hugs, Deery

False

Hello to all. Feeling better. I hope we will make candy this week since it looks like snow is headed our way. Hope all have a good weekend.

False

Good morning dear Ladies,

Debbie its sure good to hear that you are feeling better. Now try not to overdo, we sure want you fit as a fiddle for ole St Nick. Have you gotten that snow you was expecting? Oh what weather some of you girls are having. Our PNW ladies are about to wash away according to the weather man and sounds like Dee has enough snow to build a huge snowman and still have enough for snow balls. Now girls do try to stay dry and warm.

Deery what a treat to see DGD perform solo. Know it made her DGM just so proud. She is such a beautiful young lady. Does she want to go on and become a professional dancer when she grows up? Hope that the rain has let up in your area.

Ann you have sure been a busy gal with all of those goodies. Have been waiting for a sunshine, low humidity day to make my peanut butter fudge. Also use Dorothy's recipe. Hate it that yours did not come out. Must have been all of that rain, fudge can be tempermental....now am dying to hear what "Apple Pie" is made of. noticed you mentioned eggnog so it has to be good. :>) Foxy is doing just great. Had a birthday the 5th so she is a whole year old. :>) No her older "sister" is not German shepard she is a Rothweiler, Austrlian shephard mix. She came to us 9 years ago when she was about 9 months old and that is what the vets seem to think she is. *grin* Bill still tells everyone she is a blue healer since he thinks they will be afraid of her if they know she is a Rothweiler mix. LOL....actually she is a *** cat, sooo gentle.

Connie, how did the church dinner turn out. Bet there was lots of goodies to select from after all of you ladies was done cooking. :>) Noticed on the board that you had misplaced your dumplin recipe and was about to post the one you had shared earlier when I read you had found what you was looking for. LOL Its about chicken and dumplin time here too. So good!!!! Yesterday I made up my own kielbas potato soup and did the three of us make piggys of ourselves . LOL

Liz, Lin, Ruth, Dee, Lisa, Penny, TC, Charli, Helen, Marie, Jenni and to all other gals I know I missed (senior moment) do hope all of you enjoyed a nice weekend and are about ready for the upcoming Christmas holidays.

The cookie batter is waiting for me to start bakeing , clothes dryer is ready to be emptied and here I sit pecking away.....LOL

Do hope that all of you ladies are enjoying a good day, will peek in later.

False

Hi Debbie, glad you are feeling better. Hope your snow didn't last long. It can be bad for getting out and about. Wishing you and your family a nice Christmas Season.

Hi Nancy, good to see your post. Potato Soup sounded good. I remember best potato soup DH made was Potato Leek Soup. With some meat it would be even better with strengthing protein in it. In 7th grade DGD says she wants to be a school teacher and teach dance on the side. The dance instructor has taught DGD as much as she knows. DGD needs a more advanced teacher now. DD doesn't want to drive any further then she does now to take her to lessons. DGD could teach the younger Children at the Dance Studio.

Rain continues on and off. Being inside I don't notice it much unless it is a downpour that I can hear.

Wishing all the DELIGHT of the Season. Take care and stay warm.

Hugs, Deery

False

Hi ladies, well tis the season isn't it, everyone is busy busy. Just came back from town, had to go to the post office and mail off Russ his late birthday money and Christmas money. Treated myself to authentic tasting Mexican meal in town, was veryyyyy good. Called Russ last night to wish him a early happy Birthday since I knew he would be in school and they may be out and about tonight. Talked to my honey today, always good to talk to him. No Deery Kerry won't be home for Christmas this year, still a while to go. Deery how far does your daughter have to drive to take DGD to dance classes now? She has just a beautiful poise in her dance pictures, beautiful young lady she is, so much talent! So much talk of potato soup here, yummy, tomorrow morning I will be putting a chicken enchilada soup in the slow cooker to make, and share with Buck and Anna, it is just so hard to cook for one, even two as so many of you know. My outside fur babies love human food for the most part, ever since Molly has been here, it has been a battle with her to keep her from eating the dry cat food, she loves it much more than her dog food. The cats will eat their food fine, but they sure love fried potatoes and even batter fried yellow squash. You know there is only so much eating leftovers u can do right? If the kids don't drive in for Christmas, I really am going to do the big Hungry Man turkey dinner and dressing, ahhh the leftovers there LOL. What is everyone else doing for Christmas? I know many of you will be cooking big time, already Ann with all her baking and Liz with her goodies. Well better sign off here, have a good week everyone. Hugs, Connie

False