Roasting a turkey the day before Thanksgiving! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Roasting a turkey the day before Thanksgiving!

Last post Dec 08, 2010 7:30 PM by PAdutch . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Roasting a turkey the day before Thanksgiving!

I remember reading about roasting a turkey the day before serving, but I don't remember exactly what they said. It was something about being sure the turkey is covered with broth before putting it in the refrigerator.

Anyone remember this? 

False
  • Re: Roasting a turkey the day before Thanksgiving!

I make a couple of turkey breasts the day b4 Thanksgiving so we have extra meat. I pour some broth over the sliced meat and I also take the skin and cover the meat w/ it as well. I cover it tightly and bring the turkey to room temp b4 reheating.

Nancy

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Hi Nancy

PAdutch, this is the post i got my information from. Both my sis & I cooked our turkeys this year like this and we will never go back. I did ask how she reheated and she didn't answer, I don't think, but I reheated mine at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

Glory68 wrote the following post at 11-19-2010 10:11 AM:

3 days before: 

Set out a spot, such as a card table, etc as "command center".  Put out all my non-perishible ingredients, my recipe cards, bowls, containers, etc.  Clean out the refrigerator to make room.  Go over my lists to make sure I have everything I need and make any last-minute runs to the store.  Make the cornbread for the dressing, let it cool and crumble.  

2 days before:

Make pies.  Set the table.  Cook the turkey, cool, slice, cover with broth and refrigerate (it will be super-moist when re-heated this way, and you can save the broth to make soup.)  Make beverages.

1 day before:

Assemble casseroles.  Stack on cookie sheets in the fridge to save space.  Assemble the dressing in the crockpot and refrigerate.   Cook ham overnight.

Thanksgiving day:

Get up and set things out to room temperature.  Turn crockpots on.  Set oven racks to correct position before turning oven on.  Finish cooking stress-free while enjoying visits with family.

False

I always cook my turkey ahead of time. Since I work in retail and have to be in at 2am for the big sales, this has helped me tremendously. This year luckily I cooked my turkey 24 lb turkey on Tuesday, let it cool down and wrapped it tightly and put it in the frig. On Wednesday we carved it separating dark and white meat in indiviual casseroles. We added chicken broth to cover and sealed tightly, and back in the frig it went. My plan was to get it at room temp and heat it up in the oven. Getting ready to do this I realized my oven was not working. It was giving me trouble, but I was hoping it would last until Thanksgiving was over, but that was not the case.  So I went to plan B, I always have a plan B....cause you never know. I put the white meat in one crock pot and the dark meat in another one and heated both up on low with some broth.  It worked out fine, as a matter of fact my kids loved my turkey this way. It was very moist and juicey.  I also had my Nesco roaster to help with my casseroles. I am a firm believer of having a back up plan cause you never know. I hope this helped you. Gail Smile 

False

Thank you so much ladies.............I don't have a very big oven, so I'm trying to plan accordingly  for the next holiday!!

False