What do you recommend to serve with prime rib? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you recommend to serve with prime rib?

Last post Dec 21, 2010 5:20 PM by wttxflash . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • What do you recommend to serve with prime rib?
    My DH decided that is what he wants for Christmas dinner, there we only be 3 of us what do you serve with it?
    False
  • Re: What do you recommend to serve with prime rib?

I would serve a nice salad to start with, dress it up a bit more than normal.  Then with the roast I'd have stuffed baked potatoes & your favorite side veggie.....the lemon pepper green beans posted by jill_az sounds good to me, along with warm dinner rolls.   

Merry Christmas!   Cali

False
    Thanks a bunch Cali I was thinking a nice salad and some type of potato and the green beans would add a nice pop of color! Merry Christmas, Lori
    False

after I hit the post button, I remembered to add horseradish sauce to the table if your family enjoys it.....DH & I do!     Cali

False

That's been our favorite Christmas dinner over the years and we always have a fresh fruit cocktail,mashed potatoes with gravy [from the roast,of course],and a green bean casserole from an old recipe of my mother's that also contains tomatoes,onions mushroom soup and velveeta cheese-yummy ! Hubby always wants small onions in a buttery cream sauce along with it,though I don't indulge in that dish [he says it's delicious],and of course homemade yeast rolls and a dessert-usually coconut cake. I'm getting hungry already !  Pat

False
    Patricia R.Osborn

Keep it simple and let the meat be the star of the meal. If you start making a ton of side dishes and ones that are really complicated you are going to miss the meat. I usually just do rolls, salad, taters and a veggie.
    False

Yorkshire Pudding to soak up all of that great gravy ~  Yum  Janie ~  Sauted Mushrooms

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Shrimp cocktail, twice baked potatoes, oven roasted asparagus

False

Janie, we are having it with Yorkshire Pudding this year too. Yum.

BJ

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

REBELGRAN :  Would you please post your recipe for your mother's green bean casserole?  It sounds delish!  By the way, your DH is on to something with the creamed onions.  This is a traditional side dish in the New England states, and though I'm from Chicago, I love them, too!

Lorraine

False

everything already listed is great. We like a whipping cream w/ horseradish sauce.  1 pt whipping cream and 4-8 oz horseradish( to your taste). The cream takes out some of the bite of the horseradish. Really good

False

Mushrooms go so well with beef.  On a similar thread to this, Burgundy Mushrooms, which you can search for, were suggested.  I thought I would post this simple recipe for roasted musrooms which is also delicious, and it's lots easier than sauteed mushrooms.

ROASTED MUSHROOMS WITH HERBS

(Serve 2 as a main dish, or 6 as a side dish)

1/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

1/4 lb. shitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup loose packed fresh herbs such as chives, thyme, marjoram and flat-leaf parsley,minced

Sour cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment.

Clean mushrooms by wiping them with a damp paper towel.  Do not put them in water to clean as they will soak up the water and be soggy.   Slice mushrooms and toss in a large bowl with  generous amount of salt and pepper and the olive oil.  Roast for 20 minutes, then toss the mushrooms once, and return to oven.  Roast for an additional 10 minutes or until they are dark and slightly shrunken.

Return the roasted mushrooms to the bowl.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.  Toss with the herbs, then transfer to a serving dish and top with a dollop of sour cream.  Serve immediately.

False

Appy_Girl
    Yorkshire Pudding to saok up all of that great gravy ~ 

Definitely. A must have for us.

. Never would serve  Prime Rib without it.

~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009